1,569 results
All reviews freshly baked cookies great golf course golf buggy free entry shelburne restaurant driving range adventure playground main restaurant aromatherapy shower afternoon tea beautiful hotel balcony room luxury hotel birthday treat hotel guests relaxing stay lovely setting
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Bowood held a black tie event for New Year's Eve. The six course dinner, champagne and canapés along with a "Reveller's Breakfast" (a bacon or sausage roll) just after midnight was really good value. The food was delicious!

We had a truly brilliant time. The staff were courteous, polite and actually everyone was up for a really good night.

We live close by so didn't need to stay the night, but others who had booked rooms said they were lovely!

Thoroughly recommend it and will definitely go again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I decided to book a last minute overnight stay with my wife on 20/12 as a surprise. First impressions staff helpful on phone and quickly replied to my emails prior to arrival.
On arrival no one at the desk but only waited about 2 minutes or so.
We had a balcony room which was clean and spacious shame there was no biscuits that I'd read on previous reviews and was looking forward to however the sign was present.
We used the spa which was ok and then got ready for dinner.
We decided to have a few drinks at the bar and had a pleasant chat with an older guy who was helpful behind the bar,we were the only ones in there.
The waitress discussed the menu well in advance of our booking so we could make a decision in advance of later booked table.We were informed by the waitress that there was tongue on the blade of beef dish which we double checked as this was not shown on the menu and she assured us it was.
Obviously the dish came without it my wife was disappointed as she was looking forward to trying it so we called over the waitress to discuss,she went and spoke to someone in the kitchen who we could see from our position who bellowed out quite clearly if it's not on the menu there not getting it,she then came back and said to my wife it was on the plate so you must have eaten it !!!
Dessert we asked to change something of which the person in the kitchen once again complained about again as well as the fact both desserts should have had vanilla not chocolate ice cream,albeit when mentioned it was accepted and offered to be changed but it was getting late by then.
Will I return ? I don't know

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rwc1975
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I was invited to spend a day at Bowood Spa recently and cannot wait to return. Set in beautiful grounds one can work out in a small but well-equipped gym followed by a leisurely swim in the stunning infinity pool. There is a steam-room, sauna and fabulous jacuzzi all enhanced by panoramic views of sweeping lawns fringed by distant pine trees. I was treated to the best back massage I have ever experienced!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife & I decided to have a traditional Christmas lunch at Bowood as we had eaten in the Restaurant there previously and our experience had been very good.

The service this time was extremely good and some of the Menu items were very tasty, notably the smoked mackaral pate and the creme brulee but the main course of roast turkey with traditional trimmings was disappointing with little flavour; the roast potatoes really were poor, both in terms of quality and flavour; they did not appear to have cooked properly with a similar comment applying to the vegetables in general.

Staff did ask on more than one occasion if we were happy but we didn't want to comment then as we wanted to enjoy the occasion and we were close to other guests; it was not the right time to make complaints.

We were served coffee with dinky mince pies in the Library and everything else was very nice; the ambience of the place was excellent.

We couldn't recommend Bowood on our recent visit although there were several positive points.
One point I must make though relates to the view into the Kitchen from our table as this allowed us to see the heads of some of the kitchen staff; none appeared to be wearing headcoverings and one person was eating there which is illegal under food safety legislation. I wonder about other issues that may lurk there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Blu32_11
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Been to the bistro a few times this year, but the last couple of times we've been told to hurry up or there was no service, due to corporate events. So this fall off our list of local places we recommend.

Otherwise food and service has been great.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends