“Beautiful Bowood”

Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Calne
Reviewed 4 August 2014

So many hotels these days get some things right and other things wrong but Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort are deserving of an 'excellent' review. The hotel staff were friendly, cheerful and have a 'can do and happy to help' attitude and it was a pleasure dealing with them all from the moment we checked in to the minute we left.

Despite being told the hotel was full on the night we stayed, it never felt busy or overcrowded and the layout of the hotel is well thought out. Bowood makes a difference with the 'extra touches' in the rooms and the overall cleanliness of the hotel was exceptional.

Well done Bowood, we had a wonderful Golf/Spa weekend stay and we will most definitely recommend the hotel to friends and colleagues.

A job VERY well done.

Room Tip: We had a luxury double room on the third floor - the rooms are a great size and the bathrooms are wo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
BowoodResort, Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Dannyg1rl,

Thank you very much for your recent review of your stay with us.

It really is a pleasure to hear such lovely feedback and to hear that we could provide you with such an enjoyable break.

We look forward to looking after you again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

After much research on this site and a recommendation from friends, we stayed at this wonderful hotel for one night on the way home from a traumatic visit to relations!

We arrived late and checked in quickly to our standard double room which was far larger than almost any standard hotel room we have stayed in before. Immaculately clean and superbly comfortable with a wonderful bathroom.

We wandered down to the bar area where we were warmly welcomed and ordered a lovely bottle of wine at a very reasonable price. We mentioned to the South African manageress ( sorry we didn't catch your name) that we were in need of some sustenance although didn't fancy a full meal. She suggested bread, meats etc which sounded perfect but was not on the menu. She shortly returned with a superb platter which turned out to be complimentary!! We sat outside watching the deer, listening to owls - perfect and so restorative.

After a perfect night's sleep ( and believe me I am extremely fussy about my bed, pillow, room temperature etc) we enjoyed a lovely breakfast. We took advantage of the complimentary visit to the house and gardens, returned to the hotel for a lovely lunch and spent a quiet afternoon in the spa area. My husband then gave me my first ever golf lesson on the 3 hole 3 par (apparently!) course, again included in the price!

We were so reluctant to leave this wonderful hotel we stayed on for a light dinner in the bar. All the staff we came across were incredibly friendly, helpful and efficient. The meals and drinks were beautifully presented, perfectly cooked and priced very reasonably. All the facilities were immaculate, comfortable and a pleasure to use.

We usually holiday on cruise ships and are used to a very high standard - this hotel compared very favourably.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen W

Dear Karen W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit.

We’re so glad to hear what a lovely time you had whilst staying with us and that every experience
you tried whilst you were here, exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another fabulous stay.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Few modern hotels in the countryside have been designed with such a comfortable style with its high ceilings and smart décor. Service and the restaurant are very good. We had one niggle with bedroom curtains that would not close and while nothing was done after we first mentioned it, a second mention brought out the manager and he politely resolved the problem. The golf is very good too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stella317
BowoodResort, Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear stella317,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. We are so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your experience and that any little niggles you may have had were dealt with by the management.

We look forward to welcoming you back to maybe experience more of What Bowood Estate offers.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I visited Bowood with a small group. We were there three days playing golf twice at Bowood and once at the Manor. Both courses were in excellent condition and the services offered by both pro shops was excellent. The club house and Brasserie facilities are very good, lunch time snacks were reasonable, service was very good and the food was well presented and of a high standard.the rooms in the hotel were lovely, clean,spacious and well furnished. The restaurant service both at breakfast and in the evening was good. The only downside was that our room 211 was situated over the lounge bar which had an outside terrace. The weather was lovely which meant that on one evening a group of residents were still outside swearing and shouting at 2am. It was necessary to call down to reception who in fairness acted promptly and moved them on. Unfortunately on their way to their rooms they caused a disturbance to other residents. I appreciate the hotel cannot be held responsible for ill-behaved guests, but, they must be aware that the terrace is directly below and alongside rooms. No apology was made to us by the hotel. I would certainly return as all the facilities there are excellent. I would however choose to have a room in a different part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid any room that is situated near or over the bar
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gill B

Dear Gill B,

Thank you for taking your time to review your golf break at Bowood and for the great feedback. Much care and attention is devoted to the upkeep of the course as is the hotel and all facilities.

We are sorry to hear about your troubles regarding noise from other guests, however are glad tot hear that this was dealt with initially by the night staff at the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Bowood soon to experience another great stay.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Would not go again, the changing room facilities for women and children, totally inadequate, especially after a day in the spa, when the changing room is full of women going out of the spa and women and perhaps children coming in, a very unpleasant experience. Probably the best experience of the day, was the massage. The best of the of the facilities, the swimming pool. Lunch not gourmet, might just as well have been in a cafeteria, or coffee bar, anywhere.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
BowoodResort, Owner at Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear biga077,

Thank you for the recent review of your visit to The Spa at Bowood. We are sorry to hear that the facilities were not quite to your liking and welcome your feedback. We do however restrict junior swimming times for this very reason, so that our guests can enjoy a tranquil day and visit.

We are very glad to hear how much you enjoyed your beauty treatment and we will pass on your feedback.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have to say that I absolutely loved my stay at Bowood Hotel, the facilities were quite luxurious and the setting was peaceful and absolutely stunning especially with the summer sun but the thing that really made my stay stand out was the service I received. All members of staff that I had the pleasure to come across were very courteous and seemed more than happy to help with whatever I needed from recommending things to do to helping me choose a meal in the restaurant (which was absolutely fantastic). I had the pleasure of meeting the General Manager on a "buggy run", he has clearly been in the business for a long time and was very warm and friendly. I would recommend this hotel for it's entirety, my stay was flawless, nothing was too much trouble and it is very clearly well run. Thank you Bowood team and Charles, you really capped a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view over the golf course, you may just catch a sight of the deer early in the mor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Brae21

Dear Brae21,

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review of your recent stay with us and it’s great to hear about your fabulous experience at Bowood.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Where to start.Its hard to say.A much needed one night away turned into a horrid and ghastly experience at the hands of an obnoxious hotel manager who should be rather concerned about his career tonight.
We booked the best room - 4 poster suite and were enjoying a restful stay in a lovely setting when my wife, in the middle of the night, hit her head in the dark on the corner of the bedpost.The night receptionist was rather at a loss and a doctor was not called. The next morning my wife had a huge lump and gash on her forehead and was in extreme pain. We asked to see the manager over breakfast and a Mr Morgan presented himself as the hotel manager. He stated he was aware of the incident and offered no apology or compassion, preferring instead to cite that the rooms had been designed by someone called Lady Lansdowne ( like that's relevant) and therefore devoid of any safety concerns.

His attitude incensed us both and, after breakfast, I asked to see him. His return prompted a confrontation I am still struggling to comprehend. After I suggested my wife's injuries merited the stay be at the hotels courtesy, he launched a scathing personal attack on me which was as astonishing as it was despicable. Unfortunately for this pompous, arrogant and ghastly man, my wife collapsed on the journey home and has spent the remainder of the day undergoing scans and tests and has amnesia and remains in hospital pending an anxious wait for the results.

Suffice to stay I hold the manager responsible for this appalling incident and the way it was treated and further action against both the hotel and Morgan is an inevitability.

I would strongly advise avoiding this hotel, pleasant (nothing more) as it was, as for the cost and setting is far from unique and there are countless other country hotels run by staff that care for their guests welfare and
Know how to treat their clients unlike this man Morgan.

• Stayed: July 2014
10  Thank PJOandSLM
BowoodResort, General Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear PJOandSLM,

It is regrettable yet inevitable that at some stage our hotel would be threatened with a poor review on Trip advisor unless room charges were dismissed.

We take our customer care extremely seriously and every effort is made, in every case, to ensure that our guests receive the best possible experience throughout their stay.
Medical assistance was offered by our night staff, which I understand was declined by yourselves in this instance.

Your choice of words, regarding my attitude, saddens me and whilst the incident was very unfortunate and, indeed an accident, I did not feel that the hotel was at fault and neither did it justify a complimentary night’s stay.

I do hope that your wife has made a good recovery.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calne
Beechfield House
#1 of 3 in Warminster
Widbrook Grange
Widbrook Grange
#1 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!