“Unbelievably bad - see photos.”

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Calne
north yorkshire
“Unbelievably bad – see photos.”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Don’t stay here. This is by far the worst, dirtiest, scruffiest hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at, how it gets a 3* AA rating I do not know.
We arrived to book in to be told by Keith (the manager’s husband), that they didn’t take dogs at the hotel, he was extremely rude and aggressive. I showed him the booking and confirmation and explained I had rung to make sure there was a dog friendly room available as advertised on Laterooms. His wife June then arrived to take over and confirmed that we did indeed have a room, but oh how I wish we had not.
We were taken to a separate outbuilding that smelt damp and looked grubby and handed the keys. The room was awful.
If you wonder why there is only an outside picture of the hotel shown please look at the photos I have added - this is room 233. The carpet was filthy with all sorts of stains, the window frames were rotting, the bathroom was dirty with pubic hairs still in the bath and mismatched, dirty sanitaryware. Even the coffee cups were dirty and mismatched – at least there was a theme of sorts.
We decided to sleep in our clothes rather than get into the beds and thought maybe this was just their dog friendly rooms.
We were wrong, we spoke to two other guests who had paper peeling off their bedroom walls, dirty stained carpets and unpleasant smells in the rooms, when they turned on the bathroom taps the water smelt of sewage.
The rest of the interior of the building was just as bad with wallpaper peeling off, stained walls and floors and very tired and dirty paintwork.
The dining room had wooden floors and there was enough food in the cracks to feed a football team, plus the cutlery was predictably dirty.
We will not be staying again, ever.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank mrnoluck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I can honestly say I've never stopped in a dirtier, dated, smelly hotel.when I walked in it smelt really bad, but as I am not very fussy and only wanted the room as a base for the night, i gotthe keys to my room. The room was the worst I have ever been in, no facilities, dirty sheets, dirty bathroom and again smelt really bad. I requested a room change were I was then put n a room that was slightly better but still no were near an average standard. Kept having power cuts so couldn't even dry my hair so went to the wedding with wet hair. Fortunately I was able to ring the nearest travel lodge so managed to book into that. It was the worst hotel I have ever been to and I am currently demanding full refund from booking.com.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Colette1986
, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest, Sorry it has taken me some time to respond but we have only just managed to sign onto the site, please be assured we do read your comments. I would like to apologise that you were not happy with the first room you had, I thought when I moved you to one of the re-furbished rooms you seemed quite happy with it I gave you the bottle of wine as an apology as I don't want a guest to be unhappy I am sorry you were still disappointed but can assure you that the room I moved you to which had just been finished is above a 3* hotel standard. I can also assure you that we you had not paid in advance for the room as our agencies do not take pre-payment the card is given as a guarentee.

Travellers are raving about these Calne hotels

Martock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I would have to agree with the other reviews on here that state that the hotel is past its best and in need of refurbishment. generally decor is in poor condition and finishes in the rooms to a low quality.
So given this why have I given the hotel an average rating? Well it is down to the excellent staff and good quality of food served in the restaurant. The rates are also reasonable with my room costing £55 pn with breakfast included.
The bed was also very comfortable which is something I rarely come across even in far more expensive hotels.
Would I stay again? I can't say that I would go out of my way to return but if I had to, I would not be too upset about it purely because of the staff and food.

Room Tip: Car parking can be an issue in the 'courtyard' as you have to drive through a small archway...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrew G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times as it is convenient for visiting my sister. It is a shame that to enter the hotel from the car park you have to negotiate through the smoking area. Not a very nice welcome especially if you are a non-smoker. The room was shabby but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. When we went to breakfast there was not much left but the staff were very happy to make us some fresh food and the quality of the breakfast was good. Couldn't believe how reasonably priced the food and drink was. Yes the hotel could do with a freshen up but then if was refurbished the prices would go up - I think I prefer it to be reasonably priced than swanky! So overall taking into account the cost I thought it was OK and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lesley K
Plymouth, UK.
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My stay was added at the last minute to a break already planned as I was traveling to Oxford with my wife to meet family. I had not been to Calne before and I chose this location as it was near to Avebury. This main issue with this hotel in my experience is that the decor needs renewing. A costly exercise for a place of this size. The plus side for me is that the public areas where comfortable and I liked the feel of the place. My biggest dread with regard to furnishings is if someone renovated the place and made it sterile it would be a shame. I have stayed in updated inns and hotels before and if not done right it can empty a place. The room I had was on the courtyard side and it was large by the standard of many places at this price. Ok, so no flat screen TV but there was a TV and the room appeared to be clean with good bead linen. The view to the courtyard is not the prettiest view but I did find it interesting with old buildings and a blossoming tree. They couldn't prepare the meal I chose as they had run out of prawns but my second choice was good and with a bottle of Pino Grigio for £7 (yes thats £7 not £17!) I was more than happy. The next place I stayed at on this trip charged £15 for a bottle of nondescript lacklustre New World wine. Whats more they had a local pilsner beer by Arkells brewery at £2 and I have not had finer in Belgium or Austria. I paid £60 for B&B and I can say I have paid double for no better. The Landsdowne may be a little tired but the staff where polite, I found it good value for money and It was like stepping back to the places I stayed in in the sixties as a boy. This hotel has bags of original charm and character, if you want featureless then stay in one of those travel places with vending machines charging the price of a meal for a bag of crisps. I couldn't log onto the WiFi but my phone had full signal so I run my Mac through that. Altogether an enjoyable stay and I will return, hope they have some prawns next time!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are quiet and the one I had was large.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Having paid £50 per night to stay at this hotel I was bitterly disappointed at the cleanliness of the room in general and condition of the bathroom. Parking is severely restricted in the court yard. Wi-fi connectivity was not very reliable.

On the positive side - the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Vicky O
Battle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

On arrival a dirty courtyard carpark welcomes you before you have to negotiate the swearing smokers by the entrance to reception. On safely making it to reception we found it unmanned, and had to search for a member of staff to check us in.

The room was very dated with shaby torn wall paper, a filthy carpet full of hair and skirting boards thick with dust. The dressing table had water damage and above this two holes in the ceiling.The drapes on the four poster were dirty, but the white bed linen was clean although no pillow protectors were used. The bathroom was disgusting the cracked bath full of a previous occupants hair so bad it was caked in the drain, hair also on the floor. The water flow was a trickle and the shower ran either boiling or freezing. The shower screen was dirty and the bath panel damaged due to water leaking from the shower. The shelf and complementary products had a layer of dust on as did the shelf behind the loo.

We didnt have the time to complain as we had less than an hour before needing to be at a party. We arrived back very late to a peaceful hotel letting ourselves in, but first thing in the morning very loud music started to play gone was the peaceful lie in!

Breakfast, when we eventually found someone, who communication skills we were shown to a table. We had to prompt them to take our order and were given no customer service although the food we received was hot and fresh unlike the tea and coffee.

We couldnt wait to check out we didnt see one member of staff who made us feel welcome, such a shame as this hotel could be really beautiful with some updating, friendly staff and good cleaning.

A lesson for us check the reviews before making a booking!

Room Tip: Dont waste your money.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Effie811
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calne
White Hart Hotel
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
The Conigre
The Conigre
#3 of 4 in Melksham

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!