“Overnight at the Landsdowne”

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Calne
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Downstairs of hotel a little tired. However bedrooms clean and tidy and staff very friendly. This is a budget hotel with basic but clean facilities. Breakfast was good too.

Downside was we had a room over the function room and the floor was bouncing with the music until midnight. There after no noise at all so if you visit Saturday night enjoy the music before retiring!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Lansdowne Hotel

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I am not usually one to write reviews, thought i'd start sharing some of the good and bad experiences on services.
GOOD POINTS: Friendly bloke on check in, building has character, mirrors, location.
On arrival the exterior looks lovely. When you get in it is striking how old it is (not a problem) and there seems to be plenty of character. Walking to your room you notice it hasn't been hovered for a while, wallpaper needs re-doing but you run with it because you convince yourself it adds character. Unfortunately thats where your understanding / sympathy stops.
BATHROOM: It has a poor excuse for a bathroom in what is definately a botch job. The walls to the shower are very flexible and I would be shocked if the grout wasn't cracked as a result and leaking all over the place. It was impossible to control the temp of the shower, after 15 mins of scolding water and iced water I gave up. The light which is held to the ceiling by 3 screws is dangling down held in just by one remaining screw.... (thought it might fall on my head). Bath didn't look appealing enough to use.
BED: The bed had a mattress protector on it (not a problem) but it felt like you where sleeping on a bag of crisps or foil. Noisy & uncomfortable and the bottom sheet didnt appear big enough to fit the bed.....?
BREAKFAST: Was a bit below expectations & bit below average. I think if they spent a little more on the produce costs rather than an 8p own brand sausage it would have made all the difference.

It is an old building, however to keep up with the modern standards this place needs a shed load spending on it....... buy professional builders who do a good job. Attention to minor details would have made my stay more enjoyable and I would return if so.

Would I pay £80 for a double room in the current state, I'd rather chew my own arm off.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Moxey7
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Guest, i am sorry you felt that the hotel wasn't up to your standard, we are at the moment in the process of refurbishment, I can assure you we do not charge £80.00 for a double room although the refurbished ones are more expensive then the other rooms, but if you read other reviews you will note that they are of a high standard and wonderfully done. The hallways are in the process of being done and are hoovered on a regular basis. We tend to get our meats from a good butcher and do not usually have any problems we usually have very good comments about breakfast as it is well liked and plentiful off the servery., It is a shame as you do not usually write reviews that you could not have spoken to us before leaving the hotel and we could have showed you some of the work to improve our hotel. I can only apologise you had a problem with it.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

Hi I recently stayed in this hotel in one of the refurbished rooms, at present they only have four done but they are working on the rest and they intend to refurbish the whole hotel. The room I had was beautiful I would say four star and I have been to many hotels. The hotel has a nice laid back feeling more like being at home than a hotel. A real log fire to sit at when having a drink or snack. They have also refurbished the dining room which is lovely only one gripe here they need to put more cups out and also hot water for the earl grey tea. I had something to eat in the evening from the main menu and it was superb and the creme brulee was to die for.
The furniture in the room was spot on although it would have been nice to have some place mats on the bedside tables for cups. One comment for the hotel please dont let the window cleaner into your lovely refurbished rooms with his muddy shoes and dont let him stand on your lovely painted window seats or they wont last long.

Room Tip: ask for refurbished room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank francesmarkey
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

Please don't believe the negative reviews. Like the previous reviewer this place has history. I like the fact it is old and not clinical like travelodge.

The room I had was spacious and comfortable. So what if some of the paper was peeling a bit it's an old building.

The food and service in the restaurant was fantastic, I recommend the ham egg and chips.

The open fires are great on cold nights too.

Thanks for a nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Thank you for your comments it is so nice when people take the trouble to give positive feedback, the old place has some quirks but is a lovely building, hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

"Loved it!"
Ok...let's get real, the place was established almost 450 years ago so it's pretty old but it was great, it has character. I'm not going to moan about the little bit of wallpaper that is peeling in the corner of a room or the creaky floors...the place is old!! I loved the place and would certainly stay again. I loved all the old photographs, I loved the history. The bed may have been a tad lumpy, TV channels are limited but I chose this place because of price and was not disappointed. If I had wanted everything to be perfect and lifeless then I would have gone "Premier" or "Lodge" or whoever!
If you're not a serial complainer or litigation freak then this is the place to stay, just enjoy its character.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Thank You for your lovely comments about the hotel, it is nice that people see the good things about it, it would be nice for you to come down again as some of the rooms have now been re=furbished and there is on going work happening although retaining the character of the building. Once again thank you.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

This was my 2nd stay here, the first was a bit of a disaster, with unclean rooms, poor decor etc, HOWEVER, having made contact to give feedback to management there has been a great improvement, my wife and I stayed last weekend, 27/ 28 October to celebrate my birthday and tour local area. The room 212 was brilliant, clean, tidy, warm and comfortable. The breakfast was so good too, and the staff and June ( manager ) and her husband made our stay even more special with their friendliness and hospitality. Will be visiting again very soon. Thanks to June, Craig and all at the Lansdowne / Arkells.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the REFURBISHED ROOMS as these have being newly decorated and refitted.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us it was very nice to meet you both, we hope you will come back again and stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed just one night as a stop over, but wish we'd stayed longer.
We arrived to friendly reception and checked into our newly refurbished room. The room was gorgeous and finished to a high standard. Huge comfy double bed, a seating area, large wardrobe, the bathroom had all the mod cons and everything was spotless. All for £45 a night!
Not all areas of the hotel were up to this standard - the corridors to the room were tired and in need of updating and part of the bar was very old fashioned- however it is clear they are trying and will get there eventually.
The restaurant menu had plenty of choice and was enjoyable, as was breakfast.
Staff were friendly and helpful. Carpark is small, but free!
Would recommend - just ask for a refurbished room when booking and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calne
White Hart Hotel
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
The Black Swan
The Black Swan
#5 of 5 in Devizes

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!