“foul language & dredfull food”

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Calne
Reviewed 10 September 2013

have been here on several occasions, but it does not get any better, was here again for lunch, with friends & it was not pleasant, stale smell of beer in bar area, cold and grubby feel, wooden floor area in front of bar as you come in was ground in dirt, food was below average, no flair in presentation and just a growl from behind the bar ! & what is more annoying is the use of foul language in the hotel in front of people in for lunch or coffee, its terrible, and no one putting a stop to it, its as though its quite normal to shout out swear words here,

Room Tip: if you don't mind below average food and swearing , then this is the hotel for you
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank lesl s
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

I work here everyday 9-5 out staff do not swear and if it is customers then we cannot do a lot about this.
The floors are washed everyday in the bar area and cleaned all around. Drip trays are washed every night so there is never a smell.
We have had no complaints about the food in the hotel at any point.
If a complaint was made we would of dealt with this, and if it was as bad the first time I am surprised to hear you come back. We are a busy hotel and when it is quite everything is cleaned and kept up to date.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed on Saturday night, despite being busy with a function and a booked restaurant the chef managed to prepare a fantastic meal even though the kitchen had officially closed. Room was large and comfortable, only down side to the stay was the bathroom - don't get me wrong it was large and clean it was the shower built around a stairway very little space for a bigger person that was a challenge!
The staff were absolutely fantastic and was very impressed with their genuine friendliness which is rare these days.
Good breakfast would have liked a veggie sausage but not the end of the world.
Would highly recommend staying here

Room Tip: We were concerned that due to the function being held that being next to the stairs would have cause...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Recently stayed for a long weekend on a family get together.
The hotel were very helpfull in organising our weekend accomodation and all staff were friendly and welcoming.The rooms we had were a very good size with enough space to lounge around in when you needed a rest.The bathrooms were also of a good size and clean.
Although the hotel was fully booked due to the bikers rally we were able to get tables at breakfast and seats in the bar at night.The breakfast food was ok,we've had far worse but we've also had better.We never ate there at night so can't comment on that.
All in all our time at the hotel was very enjoyable and we would stay there again if the apportunity arose.The hotel is well situated for local sites such as various chalk white horses and Stonehenge etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front road.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
lansdownehotelcalne, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

When I saw this place in the Internet the rooms looked good. In reality, they're horrible! The carpets are stained and dirty, the bathroom basic and dirty. 4 milk pots by the very aged kettle, all empty. The chair in the room heavily stained.
When I arrived to check in the guy on reception was having a chat with two people. I waited patiently having driven 3 hours to get here. Then it was my turn... As the guy gave me a check in card and started to tell me what to do, some bloke came in obviously from a nearby pub. He asked to borrow a keg of Carling. Even though I'd already been waiting ages the reception guy stopped dealing with me to wander of with this bloke to get a keg... Shocking. Eventually a rather flustered looking lady came and said "are you checking in?". I said I was trying to. "Ah ok, here's your keys". No info as to where the room was....! Not really her fault as she had come and picked up the pieces that the reception guy had so quickly dropped... Not good. £45 per night, not overly priced but for what you get - definitely not worth it! The Neeld Arms is near by. £5 a night more expensive but worth every penny of it and more. Ha they not been full I'd have stayed there... Really very poor. Sorry...

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank Kevin M
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

I was the lady that came down and saw you waiting by reception. I did tell you all the times and where your room is. you did not complain once about your room if you had we would of moved you.
we have spoken to the gentleman that was checking you and told him he should not walk away when doing a check in and for this I apologies.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Firstly we were greeted by the very nice group of flies in the reception and then asked about our booking and were told just go in to the restraint and speak to them. Second we asked about our reservation and was told there wasn’t one even though I had phoned the night before. When we got a table we noticed the dirty table cloth and the leftover bred on the floor (hopefully from lunch). We took our paper napkins and then took in the décor and noticed the damp pealing wallpaper on the ceiling and the grey wires and cut off pipe-work. The restaurant actually looked like it hadn’t been painted since the smoking ban. The kitchen seemed to be having a party or it sounded like it
We had the steak deal 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £20 (Rose not include), I ordered medium rare and the other 3 had medium to well done. We all ended up with well done. We then asked for some bread rolls and received 4 slices of normal white bread for £3.95 wow. The meal was poor and the restaurant quite frankly dirty the service I won’t even go there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank R H
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

I am very surprised at your comments as we had a full restaurant and you are the only people to complain in fact we had a couple who came up to reception and said it was the best steak meal they had eaten it is very strange that a restaurant full of people have a different opinion these are obviously ones that do not go straight onto sites like this which is a shame really. It is advertised that it is the very popular house wine with the meal this is red or white. I think it is very good value for the £20.00 per couple paid and so do most of our other customers. The restaurant is old but clean and tidy. Unfortunately we had a leak last week because a guest staying did not use the shower curtain properly. We have been so busy we cannot at the moment shut the restaurant.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We booked a room where dogs are welcome.
the radiators were splashed with brown fluids - hopefully just tea or coffee
the bathroom floor, we found to our cost, was sticky with dirt - not been cleaned for a long time
we had to move a bed to accomodate the dog crate. We left what we found in a few tissues - dust, dirt and it was about half an inch deep.
the swing bin in the bathroom had body fluids so that if you used it you would have to touch other people's fluid - some of which looked like blood
we asked to be moved. we were moved and the next room was a massive improvement but we knew that if one room could be let out like this, what else was beneath the surface or worse still in the kitchen.
it was truly disgusting. the public toilets stand and were awash with urine, even at 10.30 on Sunday morning.
The staff whilst not unfriendly were not warm
They have been reported to the environmental health people. First time i have ever had to do this
have requested a refund from the brewery

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Tina L
lansdownehotelcalne, Owner at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

I am sorry I am going to dispute every comment you made in this review as we did when you emailed the company, we had one room that we allowed dogs in but since your stay have now stopped this, when you phoned you were told it would be a courtyard room, when you came down to complain about the room we went up with you and there was nothing wrong with it, but knew that you would carry on so decided as we were so busy we would put you into another room which we showed you before hand and you were happy with.
To say the staff was friendly but not warm is quite wrong although we were very busy you stood at reception and I was explaining where you could walk your dog and you were stood chatting, your husband was also talking, The toilets are cleaned first thing Sunday morning. I think you looked for problems as you wasn't happy with your first room.

Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on and off for 3 weeks so really got a taste of the whole place! was given 3 different rooms first rm- out in the back bit, a hovel! I went in and all of the lamp shades were wonky ( one even had a burn mark on it) the curtains were hanging off and for some reason the bed was screwed to the wall?!!!!! Needless to say I walked round and straightened it all up. Second room- this was ok but the water for the bath ran soooo slowly that it was pretty much cold when you got into it .third room- had a pungent smell off egg!!! Gross, nearly unbearable . All three rooms were stupidly dated and needed a huge update. Room one smelt badly of cigarette smoke in the bathroom. Also a room was booked for my return specifically as i have problems with stairs, I double checked and was told this was definitely ok, only to be shifted round all the way into the attic pretty much ( third room) with a rather unhelpful member of staff just replying with " it's not my fault , I didn't change it and I can't give you another room either. I'll have a talk with the girl who changed it!!" No proper apology, no offer of a compensation of any kind and more annoyingly its an I don't really care attitude from the staff. Also the whole place is seriously understaffed. You have to go and get someone from the bar yourself if you want to check in at reception, there's just no one about! Don't be fooled by the photo that they've put up advertising the rooms. Yes they have refurbished some rooms and they do look nice but for some reason they are saving these for a rainy day, they'd rather put you in one of their gross rooms and leave the nice ones empty. Even if you're like me walking up billions of stairs, even when I clearly stated I couldn't to staff, they left the newly refurbished ones empty and wouldn't move me.Stupid really because they could avoid this kind of feedback if they closed the old horrible rooms entirely and just gave people the new ones,. Even if they've paid for a basic room what's the harm in upgrading someone?! Especially to help your bad reputation! .also they took the entire amount for the whole length of my stay on the day I booked ( this was months before I even got there) so there was no point in trying to get any money back. I potentially could have lost my money , had no where to stay and would've had to pay for somewhere else too.good luck finding someone so you can complain and even if you do then you'll probably receive an I don't care attitude. Sort it out Lansdowne!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank Rachel M
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

We do like to hear constructive criticism, but do not find this constructive, firstly I cannot understand why someone from CALNE would be staying in a Calne hotel over a three week period this seems quite strange, and if it was so disappointing the first time why you would return two more times, we do not take advance payments payment is taken on the day of arrival for the first night only which we started recently. You booked and paid for a standard room which is what you got given. The staffing is adequate if you had a problem you should have spoken to reception there is a receptionist on all day and I am in the hotel all day and have a break in the afternoon at this time guests are asked to check in with the bar this is after 5pm, we have never had a problem with this until now I return in the evening, but am always on call and a member of staff would have called me down if you had spoken to them. All the rooms are only accessible by climbing stairs and if you had told any member of staff that you could not manage many stairs if at all possible they would have helped by changing rooms as we always do. All rooms are no smoking rooms so should have no smell of smoke, we also ask returning guests if their room was okay and if they would like the same one. There is also a guest questionnaire in all rooms. We are at the moment re-decorating the other rooms this takes time to do we have four refurbished rooms these are sold at a set price I am afraid if you would have liked one you could have upgraded these rooms sell very quickly, we also now have 5 redecorated rooms which are popular. It takes time but we are getting there.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calne
Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Devizes

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!