“Worst place I've ever stayed in” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lansdowne Hotel

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Calne
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Worst place I've ever stayed in”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I don't normally write negative reviews but as I was not asked on check out how my stay was I am using this forum.

Check in - had to find someone at bar, no notice on reception to indicate this. However he was a very friendly helpful young man who showed us to our rooms and delivered an iron on request.
Check out - just took the keys and asked me nothing about my stay
Room - I had paid for a superior room which was OK. My room (202) was cold and the radiator behind the screen never came on. Room was at front and I was woken by cars at 0520. Bathroom seat was not fitted correctly and you had to hold it up with your hand! The shower pressure was so strong that I had a river flowing through the bathroom. We also had another superior room (212) where the church bells could be heard ringing all night!
Breakfast - OMG this was the worst. Hot food with no serving spoons/tongs, only white bread for toast (apparently brown was on its way but never appeared) which was not replenished very often, very poor choice of cereals, no yogurts, no fresh fruit, no pastries. Hot water for tea from a flask, no tea pot in site. At the time I was in the restaurant there were 3 tables full so it is no excuse. No staff to ask.
Bar - friendly young lad who also checked us in
I appreciate that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment of bedrooms and hopefully other areas in the future but I would avoid this hotel. There must be better choices in Calne.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jennybacon21
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
I am sorry you had problems at the hotel but at no time was i asked to speak to a customer, In the evening as is normally quiet reception will have their break but there is always someone about and having spoke to the receptionist who was on when you checked out she said you made no complaints. I have been told by the breakfast staff that you did not complain to them and that they supplied the toast as required, this included gluten free bread for on e of your party. I will need to speak to the chef reference the lack of tongs etc. It would have been nice to have been given the chance to sort out any problems while you were still here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Took a late booking at this Hotel for Saturday night. Admittedly the town was busy, as it was Christmas lights festival, however there was no one on reception when we arrived. After a 5 minute wait we had to go and find a member of staff to check us in. The check in was perfunctory to say the least.
The hotel public areas are rather tired and in need of refurbishment.
Our room was spacious and clean and the bed would have been comfortable if the mattress hadn't been wrapped in plastic. The shower room was small but clean.
Breakfast was buffet style but better described as DIY as there were no staff visible when we arrived, no tables were being cleared, despite it being very busy. The serving area had clearly not been cleaned during breakfast and the surfaces were splattered with food and there was toast etc on the floor. The food would have been ok had it not been luke warm.
At £55 for B&B it would have been good value with a bit of attention to detail and some visible staff.

Room Tip: We only saw the room we stayed in, which was a good size.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MikeT23
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
The hotel was very busy on Saturday and I am afraid the receptionist was behind the bar helping them.
We do have a sign on reception when the receptionist is helping on the bar saying to ask at the bar for help.
The hotel has been going through refurbishments but have not got to doing downstairs just yet.
I apologies for the problems at breakfast but I believe the breakfast staff do the best they can when we are full and we had a lot of walk in breakfasts which we did not expect. again I apologies for any problems.
Northwich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Hotel is very old and in parts it shows, on arriving there was confusion as the barman was doing the job of receptionist and there were three people of the same name staying over the next two days. We were initially given the wrong room, it was in fact our daughters room. Our room was adequate and catered for our needs.
On the good side the breakfast was excellent and the two rooms that our two daughters were staying in were recently refurbished and were very good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving a review, I apologies with the confusion about the rooms.
Sutton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We had a lovely stay here last weekend. Was a bit worried when I looked at reviews after I booked. As most reviews are really bad. Our room was clean and we were pleasantly surprised to find a jacuzzi bath in our bathroom that was our own for the night. (We have stayed in hotels with shared bathroom) The restaurant was very nice and food was lovely too. For the price we paid it was lovely. Think the bad reviews were from people expecting too much for the price. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lansdownehotelcalne, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you so much for the lovely review.
Oswestry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We were booked into this hotel on a Ramblers' holiday. When I looked up the reviews on Trip Adviser I was worried that the hotel would be terrible.
However We arrived and managed to park without difficulty. We walked into the reception area and as previously noted there was a notice saying that the barman doubled up as receptionist. The bar was right next door to reception with no door and immediately I put my head into the bar a charming young lady came out and did her reception duties. She gave us instructions for getting to the room and off we went. The stairs are ancient as is the hotel and need renovating. The hotel is being renovated bit by bit.
Our room 216 was at the end of a corridor and was very clean. The windows had been shut and so there was a faint musty smell but it disappeared within minutes once we opened the window.
The bathroom was very clean. The shower/bath worked perfectly and there was always plenty of hot water.
The, hotel is in the middle of Caln so we immediately took a walk round the town centre. It is a small place but has excellent supermarkets in Sainsburys, the Co-op supermarket, Iceland and other stores in a new, very near area. Harris' bacon factory was in the middle of town and was demolished when the company went bankrupt so leaving a large central area for new shops and a library.
We were booked in for half-board on our rambling holiday and feared the worst when we went to the dining room for dinner. WRONG> The food was delicious. All five nights the food was really good. It was presented as it would be in most homes, nothing over fancy but very well cooked and plenty of it. On two nights there was so much that I couldn't finish the meal in spite of loving the taste. We had three courses and each course had three options so we were spoilt for choice. The two vegetarians in our group were happy with their options. The service was fast and polite. The food was always hot -on occasions too hot. We had no complaints - just the opposite we were delighted.
The buffet breakfast was served from 7.00 till 9.00 am. There was a choice of four cereals but you could have oats if you asked for them as my wife did. Two juices and a hot array of bacon, egg, sausage, beans, fried bread and fried tomatoes. There was no shortage and help was at hand if you needed it.
We slept very well. Though the hotel is at the side of the busy A4 we heard nothing. The beds were rather old but perfectly comfortable.
On Tuesday evening England were playing an international football match. In a room adjacent to the bar the hotel staff lowered a giant sized screen and several members of our group joined locals to see the match. The room is not attached to the bar and so local people and anyone else could drink in peace. The hotel run a darts team and on Friday played a league match in that same room. There were very many people around but there was no disturbance for our group and our evenings were run as usual.
The hotel is a local pub and is quite popular. The beer is brewed by the owners of the hotel Arkelles. The beer is good.
On the Monday when we arrived 25 of the 26 rooms were booked so the hotel is reasonably popular. We didn't eat lunch in the hotel and did not test the Sunday lunch that someone complained about.
We expected the worst when we read some of the reviews but honestly we were well treated by a friendly, efficient, warm staff who attended to our needs immediately. Though the hotel is several hundred years old and needs the makeover that it is getting I must say that we had a very happy stay there and had no real complaint. I just do not know what some people expect or whether they cause themselves problems in some way.
It is three star r5ated and that is what it is.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back. One walker said that she could hear traffic until late as her room was o...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron B
lansdownehotelcalne, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for leaving a review, and we are glad you enjoyed your stay
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I can only assume that this hotel has different grades and types of rooms, hence some people claim they had a decent stay whilst others say they had anything but that. I fall into the latter category. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, ranging from truly splendid which I would rate 9-10 out of 10, to grim and grotty which I would rate 1-2. I would rate The Lansdowne 0-1. I have never written a review before, but am incensed by the fact that instead of apologising to guests like me, who feel badly let down, you’ve got a cheeky member of staff, who hasn’t even got the best grasp of the English language, thinking it’s okay to rudely backchat us on sites like this.

The staff were polite, but so what, when you come to think of it? It’s the hospitality industry we’re dealing with here; polite staff should come as standard.

No one is expecting five star treatment here, but basic cleanliness shouldn’t be too much to ask of any establishment that’s advertising itself as a hotel. I took pictures to convince myself that I wasn’t hallucinating: the room and bathroom were just plain grubby: I was gagging whilst attempting to brush my teeth, as the sink splashback had bits of something(s) on it, there was a leak coming from the toilet and bath (I think). The beds didn’t look fresh. There were a few dead insects lying around or on the walls, that one could tell had been there for a while. I didn’t attempt to eat or drink anything they may have had on offer; I wouldn’t have been able to keep it down. My skin is still crawling. I appreciate the charm and character of old buildings, and have been to ones older than The Lansdowne that have been so pleasant I haven’t wanted to leave. I wonder how many guests ask for a late checkout here – I bet most people can’t wait to scramble away.

Well, you say so yourself: you don’t take dogs. Of course you don’t: your outfit’s not even fit enough for them. I rest my case.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank Happy W
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
On the week that you stayed in the hotel, we only had one complaint of which we offered to move this person and they said no it would be ok.
I have checked all the rooms and there are no insects dead insects any where. The rooms are made up every day either a strip or a make and on a strip clean laundry is used. its weird that the day after this comment appeared we also had a really good one. We have no one as you say scramble away and in fact also on the same time you stayed we had three rooms with a late check out. The staff are polite and will try in any way they can to help with any problems but as previously mentioned we had one complaint and after offering to move someone they decided to stay in the room they were in. I am sorry to hear that you did not like your stay.
the hotel is being refurbished but as we have been fully booked for months we have had to stop and hoping to start again soon. I am not sure how you believe we have let you down and I can say we always try to make peoples stay as good as we can.

Travellers are raving about these Calne hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Best thing ... large room in a quiet part of the hotel. Mine was a twin room. Everything was dowdy and shabby looking and it smelt musty. The cord on the blind was broken so it was down which didn't help because of the lack of light. It doesn't take much to use cleaning products with a nice smell. I also couldn't stay in my room in the day because an electric motor of some sort switched on and wined every few minutes. Thankfully it seemed to stop at bedtime and didn't start up again until 7ish in the morning. I was on a touring rest day so made myself comfortable in an armchair in the lounge bar. The food was OK. Carparking was a nightmare. For the money I paid it was OK I suppose but was the worst of the several like priced small inns on my journey so far. It needs proper attention. I wasn't expecting five star, but someone needs to stand back, look and smell the place, to make it a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Anna B
lansdownehotelcalne, Receptionist at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, we had no complaints made of which if we had we would of made every effort to have moved you rooms.
the noise I believe you hear is the hot water pumps, i am sorry about this. the car parking is a nightmare but as a listed building we can not change this, we have got on all our booking agencies that limited parking.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calne
White Hart Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Angel Hotel
The Peppermill Hotel
The Peppermill Hotel
#2 of 5 in Devizes

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!