“Birthday treats and town crying”

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Calne
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the Lansdowne this weekend gone. My son was taking part in the Calne Town Cryer competition over the road by the river (the hotel couldn't be better placed!) My parents were also staying. We spent the day in a nearby National Trust village called Lacock (home of photography) beautiful place to mooch about, we looked around the abbey and walked our socks off so we were really pleased the hotel was nearby.

The building is very old and full of character and personality. The bedrooms were bright and clean. There was a lovely lounge area around the bar and a cool courtyard with tables chairs and lovely hanging baskets by the car park (in fact this was the only downside the car park was very small) and on a warm evening it was lovely sitting here cooling off. I stayed in the superior room, very spacious, beautifully presented and I really enjoyed the Jacuzzi in my rather grand hotel bathroom. Being at the front of the hotel I expected to hear lots of noise from the road but actually I heard very little. I imagine the function room downstairs when in full swing could cause some noise disturbance though. The wine, beer and food were very reasonably priced. We had a three course meal and wine beautifully presented and tasted lovely, very pleased with the bill under £65 for the three of us. We went back in after checking out on the Sunday for carvery lunch - wonderful. The staff were all friendly and helpful. My parents and I will be booking again very soon as this was a lovely place to stay and we would like to explore the area some more.

Room Tip: Its definitely worth paying that little extra for that added bit of luxury
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for leaving a review, it is nice to see some good ones, we notice that even though people say how they enjoyed there stay they hardly ever put on here. Again thank you for the wonderful comments

There are newer reviews for The Lansdowne Hotel

Reviewed 19 June 2014

An inauspicious start to our 2-night stay -- hotel entrance from the car park was shabby, as were most of the public areas. The reception was unimpressive, and a smell of stale beer didn't help. Staff were friendly enough, but there were aspects of their service which needed better training. Our room, 213, was clean with a pleasant ensuite. It was warm during our stay, and the room was unbearably stuffy at night, with no inbuilt air conditioning. On day 1, our pre-booked full English breakfasts arrived cold and congealed, and there was no table and only one chair in the room. Having changed the breakfast order to toast and cereals for day 2, this arrived an hour early! Many other small but annoying details, e.g. advertised free wifi was not available. Lovely old building needing lots more TLC - owners and management need to go the extra mile for paying guests.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
lansdownehotelcalne, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

We are trying to get our courtyard area into a big seating area and remove it as a car park.
your breakfast on the first day was cooked and taken up stairs straight away so I am not sure how it was cold.
the second day the lady brought it up early and apologised more than several times.
As agreed by emails you were meant to have breakfast at 9am but you changed this on check in.
The hotel dose not normally do a room service breakfast as it is such a busy time, but wer made an exception.
I apologies you did not enjoy your stay

Reviewed 27 March 2014

As the title says really, room 211 is a single room which appears not to have been decorated since the 70's with wall paper falling off the walls. The carpet was dirty and had not been vacuumed for a while. The bar had no atmosphere and was playing music too loud. Breakfast was interesting, the glasses for fruit juice had run out and one of the guests took a glass from a shelf above the juices only to be told by staff that these had been there over a year and were for decoration only but that didn't stop the staff member from letting other guests do the same. The full English was just ok.

Room Tip: Avoid room 211
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank marquisofraspberry
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for leaving a review, the hotel is being refurbished at the moment and only have a few bedrooms left including 211. Although we have backtracked our records but can see you was in room 241, we again have not re decorated the attic rooms as of yet.If you had come and seen some one to make a complaint we would of moved you into a different room. I do apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. If you would like to stay again please ask for a newly decorated or refurbished room.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Not enough staff but they did try so hard,overall a good experience
A good location within the old town of Calne
This précis says it all,why does this website want 200 characters when 100 should be enough?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TedJ140

Thank you for leaving a review, it is difficult to see how many staff is needed on a day to day - we have now got three on at a time and we will also call someone in if extra is needed! we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Too many niggles to justify anything other than a poor rating. Incorrect booking details; light bulbs not working; my window unable to close; no temperature control on the shower meant it was freezing; a sealed biscuit packet already open; dirty carpets; shaving strip light inoperative. My room was warm, however, and the bed comfortable. The quality of the food in the restaurant was good, too. The room cost £45 for B&B - I'm glad I wasn't paying. The whole place needs to consider an image makeover.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Geoff425
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for leaving a review. Regards to the booking i do apologies as we have changed over the way booking.com sends through the details and we had not received your booking.
If you had came and spoke to myself or a member of staff we would of been willing to move you. There are rooms that have been re decorated and refurbished but this dose take time and we are hoping for them to be completed this year. when the hotel is fully booked we have to stop all work.
Again i apologies that your stay was not to your satisfaction and i hope that you would come again and stay in a newer room.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I don't normally write negative reviews but as I was not asked on check out how my stay was I am using this forum.

Check in - had to find someone at bar, no notice on reception to indicate this. However he was a very friendly helpful young man who showed us to our rooms and delivered an iron on request.
Check out - just took the keys and asked me nothing about my stay
Room - I had paid for a superior room which was OK. My room (202) was cold and the radiator behind the screen never came on. Room was at front and I was woken by cars at 0520. Bathroom seat was not fitted correctly and you had to hold it up with your hand! The shower pressure was so strong that I had a river flowing through the bathroom. We also had another superior room (212) where the church bells could be heard ringing all night!
Breakfast - OMG this was the worst. Hot food with no serving spoons/tongs, only white bread for toast (apparently brown was on its way but never appeared) which was not replenished very often, very poor choice of cereals, no yogurts, no fresh fruit, no pastries. Hot water for tea from a flask, no tea pot in site. At the time I was in the restaurant there were 3 tables full so it is no excuse. No staff to ask.
Bar - friendly young lad who also checked us in
I appreciate that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment of bedrooms and hopefully other areas in the future but I would avoid this hotel. There must be better choices in Calne.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jennybacon21
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

I am sorry you had problems at the hotel but at no time was i asked to speak to a customer, In the evening as is normally quiet reception will have their break but there is always someone about and having spoke to the receptionist who was on when you checked out she said you made no complaints. I have been told by the breakfast staff that you did not complain to them and that they supplied the toast as required, this included gluten free bread for on e of your party. I will need to speak to the chef reference the lack of tongs etc. It would have been nice to have been given the chance to sort out any problems while you were still here.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Took a late booking at this Hotel for Saturday night. Admittedly the town was busy, as it was Christmas lights festival, however there was no one on reception when we arrived. After a 5 minute wait we had to go and find a member of staff to check us in. The check in was perfunctory to say the least.
The hotel public areas are rather tired and in need of refurbishment.
Our room was spacious and clean and the bed would have been comfortable if the mattress hadn't been wrapped in plastic. The shower room was small but clean.
Breakfast was buffet style but better described as DIY as there were no staff visible when we arrived, no tables were being cleared, despite it being very busy. The serving area had clearly not been cleaned during breakfast and the surfaces were splattered with food and there was toast etc on the floor. The food would have been ok had it not been luke warm.
At £55 for B&B it would have been good value with a bit of attention to detail and some visible staff.

Room Tip: We only saw the room we stayed in, which was a good size.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MikeT23
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

The hotel was very busy on Saturday and I am afraid the receptionist was behind the bar helping them.
We do have a sign on reception when the receptionist is helping on the bar saying to ask at the bar for help.
The hotel has been going through refurbishments but have not got to doing downstairs just yet.
I apologies for the problems at breakfast but I believe the breakfast staff do the best they can when we are full and we had a lot of walk in breakfasts which we did not expect. again I apologies for any problems.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calne
White Hart Hotel
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
The Black Swan
The Black Swan
#5 of 5 in Devizes

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!