“Good food, shame about the service”

Shelburne Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 33 Restaurants in Calne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Top quality hotel, spa and restaurant.Grid ref: ST961-701
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Good food, shame about the service”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I visited the restaurant recently for Sunday lunch to celebrate my Parents Wedding Anniversary. The location is really good as the hotel grounds are quite extensive and picturesque. Also, the decor in the restaurant and bar area is of a high standard. With that in mind, the expectation of good service was there but was unfortunately not the case. The service was poor and very slow. The waitresses had simply not been trained enough to do a proper job. One example was the offering of bread rolls. Although there was a choice, the waitress just put one on each plate, not asking which one we would like. She did this by using a large spoon and then her thumb on top of the roll! Hardly silver service. They had almost run out of beef as it had been sold in the Brasserie next door so there was not enough for the amount of people who wanted it in our party. We complained in the end to the Duty Manager and the bill was reduced by 50%. Unfortunately, this experience has put us off going again. There are plenty more good restaurants around that offer a much better service. This is a shame though as the food was very good.

• Visited October 2013

Windsor, UK
“Same fantastic standard a year on”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Having stayed at the Bowood Hotel last year, we returned to the Shelburne restaurant for our anniversary meal because it was so fantastic on our last visit.

The meal was wonderful, beautifully presented and tasted fantastic. The only negative was the service, it was good but a little slow as they appeared a bit understaffed.

We will definitely be returning again in the near future. Thanks again.

• Visited August 2013
Swindon
“Amazingly delicious food”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Our party of four had a superb Sunday meal. All the dishes were really tasty with lots of surprising bursts of intense fresh flavours. Stunning foiled gras and yummy sea bass - perfect day!

• Visited August 2013
“Great service from the supervisor but poor food and small portions.”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I visited bowood restaurant last night with my husband and his parents to celebrate my husbands birthday. We were all looking forward to the evening and had a lovely night but that was mainly due to the company. We were given the new wine list on arrival but then were given a list of wines from the
menu they didn't have! The wait to get the food menu was at least 15 mins! Our starters arrived and they were tiny and not exactly cheap! I ordered beef flank for main cooked rare with a warm potato salad,the beef was not rare it's was medium and even worse was the fact my potato salad was a medley of raw potatoes! For pudding my mother in law ordered chocolate fondant, mmmmm gooey chocolate I hear you say?! No it's was not in the least bit gooey it's was a chocolate sponge! Very disappointing! At least we had the apologises of the supervisor Elora. She dealt with all our complaints in a courteous and professional manner and it's was down to her our evening was not completely ruined so to her I say thank you but to the chef and management I'd say sort it out because for a four star hotel it's not really good enough!

• Visited July 2013
“Average, but salty”
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

Staying here for 2 nights. The golf course is fabulous. Had first night in the brasserie. Good not great and day 2 after a great game of golf in the Sherborne... 2 AA rosette star, but not great food! Chef must be a smoker, as WAY too salty! Pudding better be great!!!!! Would I com again for the food... NO. Hope they do better next time for you..!

• Visited May 2013