“Not bad, not great”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Stones Bistro
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Not bad, not great”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I went to Stones with a lot of other people for a pre-Christmas dinner. We took over the whole restaurant and all the meals had been pre-booked. The decor was really nice, and the staff absolutely great, very friendly. Some people commented that it was a bit cold. My dinner started with prawn cocktail, which had a creme fraich sauce rather than the usual marie rose, but that was fine and it was good. The main turkey dinner was a couple of slices of reconstituted turkey, no roast potatoes! How can that happen? Just some boiled new potatoes in skins. The rest of the main course was ok. Christmas pudding was also ok. I would go back just to see if it was better just going for an ordinary evening meal.

• Visited December 2012

“Were you in the same resaurant?”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Had a groupon for sunday lunch with girlfriend...staff were really lovely...food was high standard and delicious...no idea what the two earlier comments were about...no-one was complaining or unhappy whilst we were there...definitely visit again

4 Thank RJ1957
“Extremely disappointed”
Reviewed 25 November 2012

My visited Stones with my partner today. The interior decoration seemed very nice, although the place seemed to be very cold. The staff were extremely welcoming and attentive. This it turned out was the highlight of our visit. A quick glance of the "Sunday" menu showed an extremely limited number of options. I initially ordered the garlic mushroom starter, but having waited 10 minutes after ordering was told they didn't have, so I went for the goats cheese and bacon salad and my partner the leek and potato soup. When the starters arrived, the salad turned out to be wilted looking leaves with lumps of tomato and raw onion with some kind of vinegrette. Having picked through what can only be described as the wet hedge on my plate, I found about 4 little fingernail sized bits of bacon, and about half a dozen pea sized pieces of goats cheese. My partners soup tasted of absolutely nothing, literally the blandest thing I've ever tried, served up with a floppy, soggy looking thin piece of granary bread.
The main course was the same story. We both had the roast beef, the meat was overcooked, the roast potatoes were undercooked, the stuffing was bland and the gravy was tasteless, slightly oily water. But the biggest insult was the Yorkshire puddings, which it's no exaggeration to say, could have been used as cricket balls they were so hard!
The deserts were in the same vein as the previous two courses, I had the banana sponge which was claggy and bland, with a watery undercooked caramel sauce. My partners apple crumble was the same bland and with watery, flavourless custard.
What made this embarrassing meal even worse was the 30 minutes we had to wait between courses for food that was not cooked properly, not seasoned and didn't seemed to be 'cared for' by the people serving it.
One least thing, this restaurant has a somewhat unique way of summoning service staff. Basically a loud church style bell chiming over the speaker system EVERY time an order was ready. After an hour or so, my head began to hurt!
So basically; limited choice, bland, insipid food served in a cold room with a loud, irritating noise constantly sounding in the background. However I should say again that the serving staff were lovely and I felt sorry for them having to serve people such a poor standard of food. We will never return to Stones. What a shame!

2 Thank ChrisDalton1982
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
“Worst Roast Dinner of my Life!”
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

My partner and I went on a Groupon deal to this place. It took us over 30 mins to get there and our hopes were high.

Upon entering we thought how nice it looked, overlooking the swollen river and quaint town. The waiters and waitresses were very attentive and we had no problem with them at all.

We ordered our drinks on arrival and they were lovely if the coke was on a little on the small side. We ordered all our food for the three courses in one go and proceeded to wait AGES for the first course. We gave them the benefit of the doubt as we thought it was going to be good. HA!

I ordered the soup to start and first spoon I put in my mouth was the biggest disappointment. It tasted like gloopy water. There was no flavour, no consistency, no seasoning. The bread supplied was one slice of floppy granary wholemeal bread. Not the warm, white, crunchy baguette I was hoping for. I've never been able to not eat a soup before. This one I couldn't put back in my mouth! My partners original request of garlic creamy mushrooms wasn't available so he had a goats cheese salad, which was less than appetising too.

At this point we were starting to really hope the main was going to be better. No such luck...after waiting a lifetime, the beef was tough and overlooked, the Yorkshire's were tiny and looked like they had been deep fried. They could have broken your teeth! The measly two halfs of a roast potato were undercooked, the "gravy" was watery and flavourless like the soup. NOTHING was seasoned, it all tasted like nothing. How could the chef get away with putting this tripe out to customers? Rule one is try your own food, she couldn't have done unless she had no tastebuds.

Pudding was just as bad. The apple crumble I ordered was again flavourless. It's almost like the apple had been stewed in water before cooking so it lost all its flavour. And don't get me started on the watery custard!

I couldn't physically eat any of it and I'm super glad I did this on a Groupon, or I would not have paid full price. So very disappointed with this, I just can't understand how you can serve food like that and think it tastes good? We're no food buffs but we know flavour! Clearly the chef doesn't know how to cook. It's the only reason I can come up with.

We will never return here which is such a shame, the waitressing staff were lovely and apologetic. The WORST Sunday roast we've ever had.

1 Thank Laura C
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Best sunday lunch ever”
Reviewed 15 November 2012

The place is fantastic. Great food at the best price, I couldn't believe the value for the 3 course sunday lunch. Huge portion, quality food. The service was excellent and the place was buzzing as they seemed to be fully booked. Great meal, we will be going again for sure. The place also has a great view as the windows there are huge and is located right by the river. It's so well worth a visit.

Visited May 2012