“No plans to go back.. shame as location is lovely by the river....”
Review of Stones Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Stones Bistro
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Went here for lunch last week, mainly due to the lack of choice of places in Calne. I ordered a latte and pannini and my friend the all day breakfast. My coffee was cold and I'd asked for brown bread and it came with white... the waiter did apologise, but we'd waited so long for the food that I really didn't want to send it back. It was ok....but nothing memorable. My friend's toast was covered in beans rather than on the side, to the extent the toast was nearly mush! This is the first time I've been here under the new guise of Mama Hanks... it hasn't changed, still as bad as when it was Stone's and the Green Olive......

1  Thank anezreltub
There are newer reviews for Stones Bistro

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We were not expecting much from a Groupon purchase, two 3 course meals for £13 having read previous reviews, however as we live locally we decided to give it a try. Mama Hanks as it is now called is located in the centre of Calne in a pleasant enough setting next to a stream. We started with garlic mushrooms and mozzarella sticks with chilli dip which were both acceptable although mushrooms lacking in garlic. We then went for traditional roast with both pork & turkey as offered by the staff as we were a little indecisive, this was also very acceptable, as was the side dish of vegetables. We finished with the Peanut & Chocolate Cheesecake type sweet (recommended) & ice cream. The food all appeared fresh and correctly cooked. The house red was very acceptable however we thought prices were a little high. The service was pretty good, it not being that busy. The staff were attentive enough with a pleasant welcome & very little time to wait for the food. The only really annoying element was the incessant door chime announcing that another dish was ready for collection from the kitchen, and whist we appreciated the system, it could be far more discrete. We enjoyed ourselves and came away full and pleasantly surprised as our expectations had been exceeded & would not write it off as others have.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

No wonder it's on groupon, the staff had no clue about service and the food wasn't much better.
The salad was drowned in vinegar, cutting the parsnips was like trying to bone a fish, the gravy was weak and tasteless and they didn't have roast potatoes, a Sunday dinner without roastys is a big no no!!!
Avoid the place, the groupon deals not such a good deal after all!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We were a little anxious about visiting this place for a Sunday lunch after reading some of the reviews.. As mentioned before this is now called Mama Hanks . Situated in the centre of Calne Wiltshire in a quite pleasant setting . It is a modern American/Italian style eating place . My wife had the garlic mushrooms for a starter and she found it quite good . I had the spicy meatballs for main course and found it quite acceptable. We found the service pretty good. A nice welcome, very little time to wait for the food . The only complaint was that our plates and a few other tables were not cleared away as quickly as it could have been. The waitresses were passing our tables and could have picked them up earlier on the way back to the kitchen but this was a minor concern. We enjoyed the background music which was early Motown hits and what we would expect from this type of diner. We had coffee outside overlooking a stream which was an ideal ending to our meal . We enjoyed ourselves and would not write it off as others have.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Now called Mama Hanks I believe. First time there on Sunday for Lunch. Went with a Groupon voucher. Awful. We were showed to our table and then ignored for 10 minutes while staff cleaned and readied other tables. Eventually a waitress came over to take our orders, which was a little difficult as we hadnt even been given menus. Whilst menus were found we ordered 2 large diet cokes which turned up as two, very small, very warm diet cokes. About half an hour after arriving the starters arrived. They probably were the best part of the meal but were only average at best and they were miniscule. Interestingly the next table had the same starter as me (breaded camanbert) but actually had a proper salad with it instead of a couple of rocket leaves which acompanyed mine. The main courses were simply awful. I had meatballs, my wife had roast pork. The meatballs were literally rock hard and I honestly had problems cutting them.. My wifes two small slices of pork were full of fat and tasted awful. The veg was completely tasteless and it simply wasnt worth including the 15 peas........yes I am that sad I counted them. Again, interestingly the next table both had pork and it came with more veg and potatoes than my wife had. To cap it off the cheescake we both ordered had somehow melted and was a sludge on top of a biscuit base. When you have pubs offering a really good lunch in the area such as the Black Horse, the White Horse or the Ivy I certainly wont be going here again.