“Evening Meals - By Popular Demand”
Review of Fay's Bistro

Fay's Bistro
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Calne
Price range: US$1 - US$13
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Calne, United Kingdom
“Evening Meals - By Popular Demand”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Being a regular at Fay's Bistro I was really pleased when they decided to open for evening meals on Friday and Saturday nights. It is so nice to have somewhere nice to eat out locally that isn't a curry house!

My husband and I booked a table for Valentine's Day and it was nice to arrive and not have to give our names for our reservation as we are now familiar faces.

It was a wet and windy night but it was nice and cosy at Fay's. It had a nice different feel to the daytime. My husband ordered the curried carrot soup to start and I had the prawn and crab spring rolls. I tasted a bit of my husband's soup and it was scrummy. My starter was also nice - and I've had crab spring rolls before at a local pub and found them to be a little fishy tasting, but these weren't and were really nice and light.

I then had the steak with the triple cooked chips and my husband had the gourmet burger - he even left some of his chips to be sure he had room for pudding. The steak was served with a grilled mushroom and some grilled vine tomatoes. Often I find grilled tomatoes to be a bit sharp but these were really nice and mellow flavoured. The steak was well cooked to order and my husband really enjoyed his burger.

We both went for the Chocolate Fondant for dessert which was really nice and accompanied with local honeycomb ice cream.

As always it was nice to see Fay who always has a smile on her face and makes the effort to say hello. The staff were attentive but not intrusive and always helpful.

We will definitely be coming for an evening meal again and Fay's is always somewhere I recommend to anyone who will listen!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank WoozleWife
Fay S, Owner at Fay's Bistro, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Wow, Thanks for such a great and detailed review. You must be our #1 Fan ;-)
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their kind words. It is so good to see that the majority of our reviews actually come from Calne locals.
We are looking forward to the rain stopping, the sun coming out and warmer temperatures so you and your husband can sit outside and enjoy more time at Fay's.
Sincerely Fay

Calne, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal with good ambience”
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Popped in for lunch as we had heard good things about the bistro.

I had lasagne and ordered a side portion of chips. Bit of a mistake made as the lasagne was cold in the middle and the chips late (forgotten). However apologies were given and price of drinks knocked off the bill. By the way, the lasagne was scrummy, well worth having.

My partner had chilli in a bread bowl which was a huge hit, very tasty and filling.

For dessert I had a Jaffa cake brownie and my partner a normal brownie - one word, heaven.

The staff are very welcoming and friendly with a lovely ambience in the bistro.

I certainly recommend a visit but do caution Fay's about prices because they are above average for the area and they need to build a local client base as there are alternatives locally.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Kaz B
“Fantastic Fay's”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Great light lunch with good wine -who could ask for more on a wet winter afternoon. Well done Fay's, you kept us content.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank patrick_mallett
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Wasn't won over”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

The staff were lovely very welcoming and even though they made a mistake with the order they apologised and rectified it. The food was good well presented but I felt a little on the pricy side. I went with my baby and was a little disappointed there was no baby changing facility, I had to change him on the floor in the toilet which was a bit smelly my 3 year old even noticed. It's a lovely place but I wasn't won over.

Visited January 2014
6 Thank Torialh
Hoxton, London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Staple bistro dishes but all with a twist. Extremely good value for the price. Service impeccable. Nice view of the town.

Visited January 2014