“Sad farewell to old menu”

The Old House at Home
Price range: US$8 - US$38
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Old House at Home is a wonderful old ivy-clad country pub located in the village of Burton, only two miles from Castle Combe. With a soulful and unpretentious vibe, the award-winning, family-run restaurant has a cosy dining room with a roaring open fire and down-to-earth staff. Beers include Butcombe, London Pride and a regular changing Guest ale, Head Chef Chris Alderson has created a classic menu using seasonal produce. Fresh fish is delivered to The Old House at Home daily from Cornwall, along with locally sourced beef. Favourite dishes include Nacho's, Chicken Wings, Tempura Fried Tiger Prawns, Calves Liver and Bacon, Slow Roasted Pork Belly and Tiger Prawn Linguini. Dog and Child Friendly
Reviewed 27 May 2014

As a customer of 25 years, it was with dismay that I realised they had changed the menu, I was a massive fan of the Cordon Bleu sauce with my steaks, whilst my companion adored the woodland duck. The children in the party were not at all impressed with the mussels but as there was not an R in the month then you can't expect good mussels. From being an 11 out of 10 establishment I'm afraid they have dropped to 8/10. Alternatives will be sought, perhaps an annual trip from now on, rather than quarterly......, I must stress there is nothing wrong with the venue or the menu, it just did not need changing.

1  Thank Ubley

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Great food as usual and a great atmosphere for a family meal.
Asked for a nice table and we were given a good one, one of my friends says it's expensive pub food.
Well it's a Wetherspoons and you get what you pay for in my book.
Excellent prawn starter!!!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Lovely pub with superb food, even on a very busy Badminton weekend. Enjoyed two visits tremendously.
Very kind staff and reasonable prices,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We used to go to the Old House At Home to celebrate Birthdays etc.
We always loved Fillet Bordeaux Medallions flamed in Cognac, garlic, mushrooms and red wine. After looking at their website it was still on the menu there. However when we arrived at the Old House at Home on the 8 May 2014, we found to our dismay that the menu was different to the one on the website. However, we thought we would have the Fillet Steak (the most expensive thing on the menu). Wrong decision! My Husband's Fillet Steak was not cooked as he requested and I felt that my Fillet Steak could have been cooked with a bit more care. The chips were meant to be handmade, however they tasted no different to the frozen chips that I use at home.
The whole meal was no way like it used to be. After paying £80 for a meal which we thought was of a poor standard and was too expensive for what it is. We will never go again. This was a real disappointment for me on my Birthday.

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I dined here solo after working a Saturday night shift so thought I would treat myself and go up market.
Whilst the meat was pretty good, (lamb) the vegetables good although a little on the cold side, the potatoes were rubbish and some of the worst I have ever had in a pub. The gravy was also pretty bad, had the consistency and transparency of puddle water, it didn't taste much better either.
I was hard struck to tell if the mint sauce was homemade or not, for the price of the meal it should be!
All in all wouldn't go back. One positive was that the portion size was perfect for me. I hate big mounds of food on Sunday dinners.