“Well worth a visit”

The Old House at Home
Price range: US$8 - US$36
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Old House at Home is a wonderful old ivy-clad country pub located in the village of Burton, only two miles from Castle Combe. With a soulful and unpretentious vibe, the award-winning, family-run restaurant has a cosy dining room with a roaring open fire and down-to-earth staff. Beers include Butcombe, London Pride and a regular changing Guest ale, Head Chef Chris Alderson has created a classic menu using seasonal produce. Fresh fish is delivered to The Old House at Home daily from Cornwall, along with locally sourced beef. Favourite dishes include Nacho's, Chicken Wings, Tempura Fried Tiger Prawns, Calves Liver and Bacon, Slow Roasted Pork Belly and Tiger Prawn Linguini. Dog and Child Friendly
London, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Car park beside pub. Nice building in traditional style. Standard pub menu with open kitchen so you can watch if you want. Food well cooked at reasonable prices. Good draught beer. Worth booking at weekend.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank COUNCILLORJACK

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great food but miss the old menu”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have been going to OH@H for over 15 years and it was my favourite restaurant/pub ever. Went back at the weekend and although the food was still delicious it it not quite the same.

Had the figs with parma ham and blue cheese for starters which was delicious and my partner had the salmon scotch egg. For main I had the duck (which was on the old menu and one of my favorites) and I was disappointed. The portion size was at least half of the old dish. Whereas before the potatoes and vegetables were in separate dishes these were on the plate and a very small portion with the option to add more at a cost. The duck breast also looked smaller. My partner had the steak which he loved and was cooked perfectly but the peppercorn sauce was very spicy (and he can cope with spice). I opted for the trio of brulee for dessert and it was yummy but I miss the old favorite chocolate baileys cheesecake.

As per usual the staff were all amazing and very helpful.

I know it is good to change but it seems that is was the same for so long (adding new dishes often) and now it is completely different.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank brizzle2411
Badminton, United Kingdom
“Poor food, poor service”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We recently went for sunday lunch to this inn for my husband's birthday. The atmosphere was lovely, a typical Old English inn with lots of beams and candlelight on each table. Our expectations were high. We ordered Roast lamb. The lamb was so underdone it was almost raw and cut so thick it was difficult to chew. The roast potatoes were white and greasy. The vegetable were delicious especially the tiny whole carrots and the cauliflower cheese served in a separate dish. The gravy was fairly tasteless. Having finished our main course we waited for the staff to clear the dishes and take our order for pudding. Despite the manager reminding the staff to clear tables repeatedly, we waited and waited and finally my husband stepped to the bar and interrupted three girls chatting with their backs to the diners and asked to see the pudding menu. This was brought over and we ordered Lemon Cheese tart with raspberries which sounded lovely. The pudding appeared on a piece of rough slate with a drizzle of icing sugar across the corner. The pastry was so hard it flew across the slate when the fork was stuck into it with the necessary force to actually split it to eat. The tart consisted of very hard pastry case filled with lemon curd and with a raspberry on the top. There were three streaks of raspberry coulis across the slate. We were very disappointed. On paying the bill I was told in a very loud voice that my card was declined. I said this cannot be the case. I was then told it was a problem with their bluetooth device and that a second attempt was successful. I would not recommend this inn to anyone.

• Visited June 2014
Yatton Keynell
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent meal and a roaring log fire on a chilly Jun evening”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

An impromptu meal out. The first time we have tried OHH and we only live a few miles away. Excellent food, drinks and service. You get what you pay for. The steak was excellent and the staff were very happy to provide sautéed potatoes to cater for my gluten free diet. My wife had a beautiful piece of fish and we both had fantastic desserts too - me - panna cotta and my wife vanilla ice cream with almonds and a glass of sherry on the side. Sauvignon Blanc was chilled to perfection.

• Visited June 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Sad farewell to old menu”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

As a customer of 25 years, it was with dismay that I realised they had changed the menu, I was a massive fan of the Cordon Bleu sauce with my steaks, whilst my companion adored the woodland duck. The children in the party were not at all impressed with the mussels but as there was not an R in the month then you can't expect good mussels. From being an 11 out of 10 establishment I'm afraid they have dropped to 8/10. Alternatives will be sought, perhaps an annual trip from now on, rather than quarterly......, I must stress there is nothing wrong with the venue or the menu, it just did not need changing.

Visited May 2014