“Stunning Hotel in a stunning location.”

The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Reviewed 25 May 2012

This can only be described as a stunning hotel. From the moment you arrive and drive down the long drive to the front of the hotel you think.....WOW. The grounds and the architecture are first class and the restaurant is also great with a good variety of food and drink. The whole place including the rooms, bar, and restaurant are very clean and the whole place sparkles. I found some of the staff to be a bit formal but generally they were competent and friendly. From the hotel you can walk about 1/4 of a mile and you are in the centre of Castle Combe Village where you can enjoy the many pubs or go around the beautiful church.Alternatively you can take a 3/4 hour drive into Bath. Some people might consider the hotel to be expensive but here it is clearly a case of getting what you paid for.

Room Tip: its a very quiet location (But check before you book that there are no functions taking place) so no...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geronimo1049
Write a ReviewReviews (1,128)

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Breathtaking, Simply superb!. Spent 3 days 2 nights at this smashing hotel. From arriving to departing the break was fantastic. We stayed in cottage "MARSH FERLONG", the room was very clean and tidy, and the bathroom....WOW!!!, best shower ever!. I was a little disapointed in the morning breakfast though, a buffet with a little variety would had been better. Don't get me wrong, the food was very nice just incase ive put you off!. All in all quality! 10/10.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for kind and constructive comments. We continue to review our breakfast offerings and will always be keen to improve what we can provide.

Once again thank you for your feedback, and hope we get chance to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning

Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

I booked a Champagne getaway weekend for my Fiance's birthday as a surprise and we were in absolute heaven from the moment we drove down the driveway taking in the stunning view.

When we got into the room, there were cupcakes and a birthday card for my fiancé and Rose petals in the bed which was a lovely touch. We ate in the restaurant on the Friday evening and had the 7 course taster menu with wine matching for each course, which created a bit if theatre in itself as the wine expert was telling us about the wine and where it came from, how it was made etc.

Breakfast both mornings were lovely, lots of choice and beautifully cooked.

Other nice touches were the DVD library where you could borrow a film and spare wellies if it was raining and you wish to borrow some.

All in all this is the beat weekend away we have had, every time I stepped out of the cottage we were in I felt awash with relaxed vibes - it has a certain atmosphere in the valley it sits in, truly magical!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Emilyb1234
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We have just spent one night at this superb hotel to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. It was a surprise for him and he loved every minute.
We had a lovely room in the mews cottages. Comfortable, warm, well equipped and the most wonderful bathroom with huge jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. Lovely thick towels and really good quality toiletries.
The seven course tasting meal in the Bybrook restaurant was just wonderful. I was worried that it being midweek there might not have been much atmosphere in the restaurant but I needn't have worried. It wasn't very busy but there were enough people to give it atmosphere.
The public areas in the hotel are very grand but homely at the same time. The staff are friendly and professional.
The only downside was maybe the breakfast staff could have been a bit more attentive - but it certainly didn't mar our trip.
It is an expensive hotel, but for a special celebration it was worth every penny.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is one of the best UK hotels I have stayed in. The experience from start to finish was fantastic. The hotel is stunning to look at, both internally and externally; the service immpecable; the dinner in the Bybrook restaurant sublime; the bedroom huge, the bathroom luxurious - I could go on! Breakfast in the morning was excellent and I only wish the weather could have been slightly better so we could have played some croquet or wandered round the beautiful gardens which we only really saw through the drizzle from our bedroom.

I really hope to return to The Manor House, I cannot reccommend it enough.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This hotel offers hotel and golf packages and was excellent value.

Room Tip: stayed in the cottages,ideal for our group of 8. Breakfast in main hotel good ,evening meal in golf...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here over a Sunday night at the end of April. When we arrived, the weather was terrible - driving rain and floods on minor road - even the driveway into the hotel was partly flooded. We were immediately checked in by a really friendly guy while another told us a little about the hotel. We were shown to our room where everything was explained and our car was parked for us. Umbrellas and fancy welly boots were available if we needed them - we stuck to just borrowing an umbrella.

We stayed in one of the cottages, which are about 50 metres away from the main building. They look wonderful from the outside and are even nicer inside with very warm and rich colours and everything (almost) that you could need. The bathroom was huge with a wet room area, sitting area and a big bath with a built in TV on the wall. The only thing (oddly) missing in the bedroom seemed to be a mirror that was anywhere near a plug socket so unless you have a very long power lead on your hair drier, or you bring your own mirror, you may not be able to see what you're doing. (We couldn't find a hair dryer in the bathroom.) One remarkable thing, and the first time I've seen it in any hotel, the labelling on all the shampoos, soaps, and lotions was in really big writing, so for a change I was able to read what I was about to apply before it was too late with no need for glasses. I thought that was a nice touch.

We had a drink in the bar before we went in for dinner and unlike other guests we didn't think the prices were high at all - they seemed very comparable to this type of hotel. We both enjoyed dinner very much - we had the standard 3-course £62 menu, which actually included a couple of unexpected but very enjoyable extras. The food was tasty and was all superbly presented, as you'd expect in a restaurant like this. The wine list was extensive, and possibly expensive too, but we managed to find quite a few wines we liked for less than £50.

We slept very well in the cottage except I must admit the church bells going off every hour did wake me up just about every time which was very annoying, but there was no such problem for my wife.

Breakfast was perfect with lots of choice and very nicely cooked food with lost of fresh coffee and toast.

We thought that all the staff were relaxed, friendly and helpful and appeared completely focused on ensuring that we enjoyed our stay; which we definitely did. We will certainly stay here again in the not too distant future and will recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
Barnsley House
Barnsley House
#1 of 1 in Barnsley

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!