“It has a WOW factor!”

The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Great impressions... since we drove through the automatic gate and beautifully kept grounds towards the Manor house.
We were greeted by friendly gentleman at the reception who accompanied us to the car park and then to our beautiful cottage which was located around 70m from the main building. I am usually not a fan of typical English cottages and original features, but I loved the decor. We had a huge room with high ceiling with beams. It was divided into the lounge area with the fire place, bedroom and study area. Bathroom was very spacious with highly appreciated under floor heating, his and her sink, bath which comfortably accommodated two people (yes, we tried it and you can have a bath and watch TV). Yep, there is TV in the bathroom. There is even a bidet which I find very non English thing. Walk in shower also had under floor heating and side rain bars which were really useful if you did not want to wet your hair. But what nicely surprised me was attention to details. There was a cute rubber duck “sitting” on a bath and teddy “waiting” on a bed:-) Bathing robes, slippers and amazingly soft towels were also provided. After two hours driving we made ourselves a cup of coffee and we enjoyed it together with tasty cupcakes which were a welcome gesture from the hotel. We spent only two nights there, but would love to stay longer next time. Village is so picturesque and walking distance from the hotel. There are two pubs in the village very close to each other and it is a short walk from one side of the village to the other. Steven Spielberg filmed part of his movie “War Horse” there and local church has a small exhibition of the pictures from filming. It was very refreshing to see that villagers and tourists have a good relationship. You could purchase homemade cakes which were just left in the front porch on the small table with a message asking to drop money in the letterbox if you fancy buying one. I can’t comment on hotel restaurant as we made a big mistake not booking a table couple of days in advance. When we wanted to book it for the same evening, it was too late as it was already fully booked. But we really enjoyed breakfasts there and lunch in their garden. We also tried room service and soup was delicious, actually all food we had in a hotel was delicious and tasted really fresh, like homemade. There is only one thing we both found not to our liking. I feel bad saying it as all the rest of the stay was brilliant and it is very personal thing so it is not a hotels fault. If you have back problems, like me and my other half, you will find mattress too soft. It wasn’t the most comfortable sleep we got there. But as I said, this would never stop us of visiting this amazingly romantic place again since it is obvious that people, who run it, do it with love! Oh, and I nearly forgot to thank all staff. Customer service was outstanding! Thank you:-)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 September 2012

My Brother raves about this hotel and its location and decided to get married in the village using the hotel for his reception etc. Whilst I can't deny the hotel commands an enviable setting and the room amenities are, at best, "good" - personally I cannot understand the hype that goes with this hotel.

The communal furniture and carpets are tired, the food good, but not what I would call Michelin star, many of the staff didn't grasp my questions etc. as English was not their mother tongue.

We changed rooms from the first night staying in a cottage and then in a substantial room in the old Manor House on the second night. Unfortunately the room wasn't ready when asked at 11:00am (which I felt poor for a quality hotel) and we were forced to change for the wedding in our old room. Having already packed our bags this was quite an inconvenience, especially with wedding attire and an 18 month old in tow!

I cannot understand the high prices that this hotel commands, but I am sure many people have a different view to me.

If you wish to stay in Castle Combe you really don't have much choice; but not too far away in Bath you have some far superior hotels for the same money - why not go to the Manor House for Afternoon Tea if you want to experience the setting?

Room Tip: The cottages are varied, ours was small but reasonably kitted out
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank asimmonds
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear Mr Simmonds,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with not being able to check in to your next room at 11am, but unfortunately the previous guests had only just checked out, and that check in time is guaranteed by 3pm on the day, however we always endeavour to get rooms clean and ready well in advance of that time.

With reference to your comments about carpet and furnishings, we have spent the last 2 years refurbishing the majority of all the communal areas and are not quite sure which areas you appear to be referring to.

I am glad you enjoyed the food, and have been lucky enough to hold a Michelin Star for the last 3 years.

I hope you enjoyed the Wedding and thank you for encouraging people to come and try our award winning Afternoon tea.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

If ever a village and manor house is required to represent an idilic image of old England this would be it, beautiful. We have been several times to The Manor House over a course of 17 years and it is always an absolute joy, from the location, the accommodation (we usually have a Junior Suite), the excellent staff and not forgetting the exquisite restaurant this is truly a most delightful hotel. We will return!

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Wow,.......from the moment you drive into the quaint village of Castle Combe, up the beautiful hotel driveway and through the grounds and then walk into this stunning 14th century picture postcard manor house you will not be disappointed.

The hotel itself although extremely ancient is luxuriously furnished in a modern, opulent way with bold colours.
We stayed in one of the cottages separate from the main hotel, it had a lounge area downstairs with a wood burning stove (logs and matches provided) and sofa, then up the cutest old stone spiral staircase to a huge roll top bath and dressing area, with aqua vision tv in the wall. Off to 1 side was a huge bathroom and to the other was a gorgeous open beamed bedroom (the bedroom actually forms an arch way over a small road!) - don't worry no traffic use it!
The cottage was very clean, with some nice touches, and I slept like a baby.
The cottage is a short stroll from the main hotel, not ideal when it's raining but they do provide umbrellas. On the plus side its right next to the village so easy get that early morning photo with no tourists in it.
Breakfast was fine, good continental buffet choice with a la carte cooked, the staff were also very accommodating making porridge even though it wasn't on the menu.

I only wish we had had more time here, it was only meant as a brief overnight stop in between visiting Bath and Longleat but we will definately return as we didn't even get chance so explore the hotel or grounds.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed in The Manor House Hotel in a traditional junior suite and were really impressed with the room. Beautiful views, high ceilings, carefully-chosen furniture and a lot of nice touches, including a couple of delicious home-made muffins waiting for us on arrival. The decoration of the bathroom was not really to my taste, but I'll blame my French origins for not appreciating it fully perhaps, as everything was delightfully British. The king-size four-poster bed made quite an impression on us, although the mattress was a little tired. They even go as far as to give you a choice of fabric for your pillows!

Service was excellent in all respects, as was the breakfast! I would warmly recommend this hotel for special occasions in particular.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Shame - beautiful place but something not quite right - such as massively overcharging for dry cleaning. The golf was great, however, especially the lessons and practice facilities .....................................

Stayed: August 2012
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear Staly2001,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am so pleased you enjoyed your time and lessons at the Golf Club.

Obviously there were elements of your stay at the Hotel which you were not happy with and I would be delighted to hear more of your comments, over and above the food and wine comments you have already posted on the Bybrook restaurant site.

The Dry Cleaning you mention is a surprise as we have never had any adverse comment about it before, the Dry Cleaning goes every morning before 8am and is returned before 5pm on the same day. The prices have been the same for some time now.

Once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Had a truly momentous dinner at The Manor last night. Beautiful surroundings and the food was divine. We had the Prestige menu (a Tasting extravaganza) and our taste buds were bombarded (in a good way) with so many flavours which left wonderful memories. The puddings as far as we were concerned were the most stunning (butterscotch sauce heavenly and the chocolate fondue amazing!)
We were made to feel very welcome by everyone - thank you to all involved.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Just wanted to say thank you for your great comments, and I am so pleased you had enjoyed your meal, I know it means a lot to the people involved.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Combe
The Close Hotel
#2 of 6 in Tetbury
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
The Roseate Villa Bath

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!