“Perfect little place!”

The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Such a special visit back in February for my birthday! Loved the infinity bath in room Long Lands - something we're still raving on about to our family and friends today. This place is so beautiful and the staff really look after you. It is somewhere we will definitely re-visit over and over again.

Room Tip: If you're booking a Deluxe Juniour Suite, I definitely recommend the Long Lands room in one of t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed 1 night in the Manor House for a work dinner and long to go back there! The grounds are stunning and the hotel looks like something out of a Harry Potter film. The rooms are wonderful - mine had a four poster bed and a stand-alone claw footed bath tub as well as a walk in rain shower. The breakfast was out of this world in terms of choice and quality. This hotel blew my mind. Only down said is that it is pretty pricey, but then again you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SMMWWS
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Even driving up towards the stunning hotel took my breath away... gorgeous grounds and building!
We drove past the entrance of the building and went on to park in the car park which was a bit of a walk from the hotel, but as soon as we got out of our car we saw someone walking towards us - he greeted us and took our bags and took us to our junior suite which was in one of the cottages - Parsonage was its name.
Well all I can say is WOW! such a beautiful suite -a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us too! we were left to sit in our 'lounge' area sipping champers and admiring the gorgeous suite around us!
the bathroom was amazing - a HUGE shower - gorgeous lighting and a Jacuzzi style bath complete with a tv on wall at end of it - they thought of everything! :-)
I enjoyed a late night bubble bath sipping champagne - bliss!
I loved the traditional décor and furniture of the suite.. it really was heaven to spend time in!
A walk around the grounds to take in the magnificence is recommended... just lovely!
We ate dinner out that night so I cant review the dinner here but we returned from our dinner out, back to our suite to find our bedding turned down and water on the bedside tables, tea, coffee and milk replenished, the weather for the next day on the bed, and goodnight mats by each side of the bed and a pair of slippers each - what a lovely touch!
In the morning, breakfast was divine!
I recommend the eggs benedict with Wiltshire ham.... the best eggs benedict I have ever tasted! Husband had the full English which he also highly rated - the staff at breakfast were lovely and were always offering top ups of toast and tea etc and the other foods that you could help yourself to had so much choice and the poached pears with cinnamon were lovely!
Everything at the hotel from start to finish was truly amazing... I was very sad to be going home the next morning - I slept soundly all night in the huge lovely bed!
All in all - a magical place that I will most definitely be staying at again! I don't think I have ever stayed anywhere before, where I utterly cannot say anything negative in the slightest about a place! Thank you very very much for a lovely escape from the real hustle and bustle world we live in! See you again soon!

Room Tip: we stayed at the parsonage junior suite and I highly recommend this suite!
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is the perfect place to relax for a day or two! As other reviews mention, we too had an issue with flies in our room, which was on the top floor. However, I have not reduced the rating for this as it was dealt with well- once we had changed rooms, we had a fantastic stay. We had afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast at the hotel- all of which were wonderful. Every room appears to be different and has features of it's own- go for a junior suite or deluxe junior suite if you can for that extra touch of luxury. We stayed in the main house but the cottages looked lovely too. I was impressed by the service at this hotel and I would particularly like to thank Michael who did an outstanding job of looking after us during our stay. I don't often stay in the same hotel twice, but I would definitely consider returning to the Manor House because of this service.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had stayed at the Manor before and decided that we would celebrate our anniversary there . On arrival we were shown to our suite Little Twizzlehead . We at first noted a number of dead flies by the window but then sat down and opened our chilled champagne in the lounge area . We looked up to the beams and saw a number of flies flying under the ceiling beams and immediately contacted reception who sent someone up to our room . He then sprayed and hoovered the room and left us the fly spray. However , within 15 minutes the fly spray had obviously worked since many more flies started falling from the eaves onto the floor and into the bath and shower . We phoned reception again and Simon the Manager came to our room to see the problem . He explained that these were cluster flies with which they had had problems with the previous year. He took charge of the situation and moved us to another suite Archway which was not in the Manor but in one of the outer buildings . He also arranged buggy transfer for my wife who is disabled. The Archway room was very nice but the part spiral staircase was difficult for my wife .
Our concern is that the hotel should have inspected the room before our arrival when they would have discovered the problem and been able to take the room out of service.
Simon compensated us for the inconvenience and ensured that the rest of our stay was up to the high standards we expect from the Manor .
The staff were all excellent and our meal in the Bybrook restaurant was up to the high standard that one expects from a Michelin starred restaurant.
I have previously given the Manor 5 star rating but feel unable to do this on this occasion as a long planned celebration was marred by the fly problem.
Would we come again - yes but not in the same rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid high rooms in Manor House -- fly problem
2  Thank David C
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear David C,

Thank you for your feedback and I am so pleased you enjoyed your time apart from the initial issue with the wildlife.

We can apologise about the fly problem and I am glad we were able to move you to one of our top suites. As far as checking rooms is concerned, they are checked prior to Guests arrival by the Head Housekeeper, however the flies can appear after that time, generally due to the sun shining onto the windows in certain rooms at this time of year.

Once again thank you for the comments, and I do hope we will see you again soon.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning

Reviewed 10 March 2014

From the moment we arrived at this gorgeous Hotel it was wonderful. The sun was shining and the hotel looks amazing. The car was valet parked, the reception staff were helpful and friendly. The room was beautifully appointed and the dinner at the Bybrook restaurant was superb. Room service was fast and the grounds are stunning. Breakfast was also excellent and a walk through the village is a must.

We didn't want to leave and will definitely be returning. Thank you to all at The Manor House for making our stay a truly wonderful experience

Room Tip: There's a choice of cottages outside the hotel but we chose a room within the hotel itself and w...
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had our honeymoon here a long time ago and it was good then, now it is even better. We did have a good deal on Bed, Breakfast and Dinner. Still not cheap but no complaints at all. The room was huge and all exquisitely appointed with a superbly equipped generous bathroom. There are a wealth of little luxury details. Great service throughout.The food was excellent too - what was advertised as a 3 course meal in fact was 5 and all superb. My wife's food allergy was totally catered for with great attention to detail. The hotel sits in arguably the most beautiful village in England. It won't disappoint.

Room Tip: Be careful if you are infirm it is a rambling building with many stairs and steps with real characte...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Combe
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Rudloe Arms
Rudloe Arms
#3 of 4 in Corsham

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!