“Real English extravangance!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Real English extravangance!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here for 1 night to attend a wedding in the village and celebrate our Sapphire (45 years)wedding anniversary.

Complete luxury but at a price. Prices slightly OTT.

Everything was so comfortable, staff very professional but discreet. First time I have eaten a Michelin star meal - amazing. As I am a cook, the waiter was so helpful and informed about the processes involved in the meal preparation.

Stayed in Junior Suite - faultless except no fridge for cold drinks.

Nothing was too much trouble and the weather and grounds were perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Attended a wedding at this hotel and a fantastic day for all concerned the staff could not do enough for all the wedding party, the food was of a high standerd and a good time had by all, we stayed at the hotel overnight in one of the cottages this was very nice the fixtures and fittings to a high standard and the bathroom a great size with an excellent shower/bath Checkout was good, the only downside for us was the breakfast as not enough staff on and kept running out of cooked items and plates all seamed quite rushed and not organised.with no one in overseeing this.Have stopped at other hotels that are not 5 starr and had a lot better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank David R
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear David R,

Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us, and I am glad the Wedding went well.

I am sorry to hear that the service at Breakfast was not as it should be, especially as a buffet breakfast for a wedding group should have made life easier for all concerned, which is why we do it.

Thank you anyway and I do hope we might see you another time.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning
Burlingame, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

!n 1670 it was determined that Castle Combe was as large as it should be and no new homes have been added since. In 1962 it was voted the most beautiful town in England so it is worth a visit. Since there are not a lot of options, the Manor House Hotel would not have to be the super elegant oasis that it is, nevertheless it took our breath away. We stayed for two nights on a Wayfarers walking tour of the area, visiting many of the sites used in the production of the hit television series Downton Abbey, and were very pleased with the elegant accommodations and the proximity to this beautiful village. You simply walk through a gate and you are at one of the two pubs that provide lovely places to drink and eat. The Manor House however is not to be missed, with elegant, well furnished, warm rooms. Showers have five heads and the pillows, linens and turn down services are equal to the worlds most expensive hotels. The expansive green lawns, and croquet courts are available to every one, and although I didn't play golf, it is available too.We had wonderful meals and very attentive service from all members of the staff.

Room Tip: We had a lovely second story cottage room.
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After having such a great time last year and being regulars we decided to enjoy the festival and stay over for the night to also enjoy the wonderful Bybrook Restaurant (See other review).

From the very second I drive through the gates to this Oasis I feel the world lifting off my shoulders and it has this effect no matter how many times we have visited and I pray it continues!

The day itself was blessed with good weather and there were plenty of stands to keep us occupied although we were a little disappointed that the birds of prey were absent this year it did not detract from a great day. The highlight of our day was to attend the first of the garden tours led by John the head gardener who treated us to a wonderful tour of both the gardens and the resident animals that are kept on the estate. John and his team are a credit to the Manor House and it was nice to hear of the many plans he has for the gardens but also a treat to see where a lot of the produce used by the kitchen is cultivated.

Upon checking in we were delighted to be informed that we would be staying in the Dolittle suite (Thanks Stephen!) which had been recommended to me by a friend. We were shown to the room by a very helpful and friendly member of staff who showed us the finer points of the room including its very own personal terrace area!

The entire stay was a joy and just what the doctor ordered for any stress levels I may have been experiencing. We cannot wait for our next visit and if you have not been here yet I suggest you get it on your bucket list ASAP!

Room Tip: DoLittle Suite is an amazing room with its own terraced area outside and a real treat to sit with a...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Fabulous setting;
Lovely cottage suites where pets (ie our mini Dachsie) are super welcomed;
But:
- general boiler broken in the morning
- breakfast overcrowded, poor buffet in quantity and quality
- definitely too pricey
- not worth going back
- VERY disappointing dining experience at the totally over-rated Bybrook Restaurant: AVOID the restaurant !

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank LucaMT
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear LucaMT,

Thank you for your recent feedback.

I had already responded in person to your friend Mr Ying about your stay which seemed initially to focus on your dining experience, but now I see that there were other areas of your stay which were not mentioned by your friend.

I can only apologise for the issue with the boiler, luckily this was quickly resolved , but was nonetheless an inconvenience for which I am sorry.

In reference to your dining experience it does seem that being nearly 20 minutes late for your table on a busy Saturday evening did not help.

Once again many apologies and I am so sorry that my initial response to Mr Ying did not seem to be enough.

Regards,

Stephen Browning
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Absolutely loved this place. Was kindly greeted by Jon. Room wasn’t ready as I arrived very early, got me a cup of coffee and allowed me to go into another room to freshen up.
When I got to my room it was fantastic, bed was big, bathroom was amazing, no complaints. It had everything you needed, from tea and coffee facilities to espresso machine, tv in the bath, ipod docking station etc.
Food was fantactic, cannot complain one bit. Staff were lovely and very helpful.

No complaints, apart from my £220 bar bill…..whoops, I think that’s my fault though.

Essex
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night during the week, on arrival we had a very warm welcoming from the man on reception, and our car was valet parked for us which was a nice touch. Our room was a junior suite and it was absolutely wonderful, so beautifully decorated; also waiting in our room was two delicious fresh chocolate muffins and a small box of chocolates. The suite had a massive bathroom with a giant stand-alone bath and a separate shower area with a rain-full shower and side jets.

The gardens/grounds were stunning and beautifully kept, the hotel has its own vegetable garden.

We decided to book the Bybrook Restaurant for the 7 course taster menu – the staff in the restaurant were a delight and very friendly.

As you can imagine the wine list is very extensive and very expensive, however, on the last page of the wine list they have a section called ‘economy wines’ which I thought was patronising wording.

This is hard for me to explain but although the food and service was outstanding, I do not think that the overall price tag of £225.00 (including wine) was worth the experience, we were glad we did it but I just keep thinking it was so much money just for one meal.

Overall, a great stay.

#1 of 1 in Barnsley
Calcot Manor
Calcot Manor
#1 of 1 in Calcot

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!