All reviewsbeautiful villagefour poster bedpieenglish villagepretty villagethe pubcentury buildingcream teasunday lunchlovely lunchsconespoached eggsold buildingduckan evening mealcharming hotelwaiting staff
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Castle Inn a few days ago as a pre-Christmas treat to ourselves. We booked one of their special dinner, bed & breakfast packages - a "luxurious romantic break". It was too. They offer a free room upgrade as part of that package, if one is available. Happily it was, so we had a lovely room with a view over the market square, a splendid four poster bed and a huge, well appointed, bathroom. Also included was champagne cooling in an ice bucket and truffle chocolates, which were waiting for us in our room. Dinner was superb, as was breakfast. The staff were excellent, being both friendly and efficient. We loved the whole experience and will do it again.

1  Thank Jerry1953
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My boyfriend and I had a really lovely time at the Castle Inn last weekend. On arrival the lovely receptionist showed us to our room which was beautiful, 4 post bed and a large bathroom with a nice bath, was very rustic and original. Our room was actually upgraded from the one we booked, which was just lovely.

We went for a little walk around the tiny village and then had a meal back at the hotel, I would HIGHLY recommend the shoulder of pork which was just incredible. The rest of the food was also really good, however it wasn't on the cheap side, but it wasn't exactly overpriced for a hotel restaurant. We had a few drinks after by one of the fireplaces (there are 2 working ones) which felt christmasy and very relaxing.

The staff were really nice and welcoming and made our stay even better. I would really recommend this place if you fancy a very quiet weekend away and you enjoy long walks. We will be coming back in the summer to explore more of the stunning surrounding areas and relaxing in the hotel.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Visited the Castle Inn after a walk in the surrounding area for Sunday lunch.

Once seated it took a while for a waiter to get our drinks order and give us a menu. Once he had another waiter came up to ask the same thing, I think there was a bit of miscommunication. It took a while for drinks to arrive and then after that we had to prompt someone to take our food order.

The food was slow in arriving and I wasn't bowled over by it. The beef tasted like it had been in the freezer for quite a while, the veggies were fine and the gravy too. But overall I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kprkn
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed over on a Sunday evening using a Groupon voucher after a day exploring the local area taking in Lacock Abbey and then enjoying a stroll around Castle Combe, a beautiful quaint village. We received a warm welcome from the young lady on reception and although parking was a bit of an issue we did manage to get a space just up on the hill. We were shown to room No 9 and were not disappointed, beautiful furniture and an extremely comfy bed. The fixtures and fittings in the room were to a high standard, fluffy bath robes were definitely an added bonus. Dinner I have to admit for me was a little disappointing, I had the mascapone and butternut squash lasagne and wouldn't recommend it but the breakfast the next morning was excellent. The staff and service throughout the short stay were fabulous and we will definitely be coming back to re-charge our batteries again soon.

Room Tip: Room 9 is located at the top of a small steep staircase so may prove difficult for those with limited mobility.
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed during the last weekend of November with a friend as part of a combined shopping and spa trip to Bath and Lucknam Park. Room cost £140 b&b (room 12) and it was lovely with twin beds, plenty of space, tea and coffee and a nice bathroom with White Company toiletries. I had stayed here before about 10 years ago and was pleased to see standards had been well maintained even though it has changed hands since.

The only negatives were that there was nowhere to put your things in the bathroom, despite it being very spacious and we had to ask for help to get the heat working in there.

Breakfast was excellent but dinner the previous night was overpriced and not particularly enjoyable. Maybe we ordered the wrong thing (we both had the lamb neck) but it was disappointing as the food used to be the reason to stay here. I would advise eating out in Bath or up at The Manor instead.

The village is beautiful if you have time to explore and it's only 20 mins from Bath and less than a 10 minute drive from Lucknam Park so the location works perfectly.

Don't get caught out with the parking. It's extremely limited in the village and whilst there are a few spaces on the hill on the way out of the village, it's not lit at all and you really need a torch to see where you're going.

Overall it does represent good value for money due to the location and the nice rooms but my advice is to eat elsewhere.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends