All reviewsbeautiful villagefour poster bedpieenglish villagepretty villagethe pubcentury buildingcream teasunday lunchlovely lunchsconespoached eggsold buildingduckan evening mealcharming hotelwaiting staff
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely stay the staff couldn't do enough for us. Sadly my husband was poorly ( not connected with the hotel) the staff could not have been more considerate or concerned.Roaring log fire, Lovely food & beautiful comfy stylish accommodation. Will definately visit again

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

The room, location, lounge, restaurant, and staff -- everything was beautiful, comfy, and peaceful. Enjoyed the time here. We got here from Chippenham by taxi (costed £20 incl. tip) but we will try going back in a bus. On Monday, the bus comes right in front of the hotel at 12:30, 2:39, & 4:47.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Castle Inn a few days ago as a pre-Christmas treat to ourselves. We booked one of their special dinner, bed & breakfast packages - a "luxurious romantic break". It was too. They offer a free room upgrade as part of that package, if one is available. Happily it was, so we had a lovely room with a view over the market square, a splendid four poster bed and a huge, well appointed, bathroom. Also included was champagne cooling in an ice bucket and truffle chocolates, which were waiting for us in our room. Dinner was superb, as was breakfast. The staff were excellent, being both friendly and efficient. We loved the whole experience and will do it again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry1953
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My boyfriend and I had a really lovely time at the Castle Inn last weekend. On arrival the lovely receptionist showed us to our room which was beautiful, 4 post bed and a large bathroom with a nice bath, was very rustic and original. Our room was actually upgraded from the one we booked, which was just lovely.

We went for a little walk around the tiny village and then had a meal back at the hotel, I would HIGHLY recommend the shoulder of pork which was just incredible. The rest of the food was also really good, however it wasn't on the cheap side, but it wasn't exactly overpriced for a hotel restaurant. We had a few drinks after by one of the fireplaces (there are 2 working ones) which felt christmasy and very relaxing.

The staff were really nice and welcoming and made our stay even better. I would really recommend this place if you fancy a very quiet weekend away and you enjoy long walks. We will be coming back in the summer to explore more of the stunning surrounding areas and relaxing in the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Visited the Castle Inn after a walk in the surrounding area for Sunday lunch.

Once seated it took a while for a waiter to get our drinks order and give us a menu. Once he had another waiter came up to ask the same thing, I think there was a bit of miscommunication. It took a while for drinks to arrive and then after that we had to prompt someone to take our food order.

The food was slow in arriving and I wasn't bowled over by it. The beef tasted like it had been in the freezer for quite a while, the veggies were fine and the gravy too. But overall I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple