“Excellent food, but now closed for business”
Review of The Salutation Inn

The Salutation Inn
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Superb Country Pub offering Great Pub food, local ales and a warm welcome!
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Based on the reviews below we booked a family birthday Sunday lunch at the Salutation Inn. It was a bit poor of them not to tell us that they were actually closing for good the afternoon that we were having lunch and it definitely compromised the lunch a bit as they were short on a number of menu items.

But what choices we had were all lovely. All the starters were excellent, and whilst the Waygu roast beef was surprisingly firm (despite being nicely rare), my belly of pork was fantastic. The roast veg were also good - being an area that can often disappoint.

The white wine wasn't great - but that may have been somewhat related to the closing down. Desserts were nice enough, but portions were a bit measly - again because they were running out. Service was very nice and apologetic about the situation - basically the tenant landlords had been trying to make a go of this place for the last couple of years, but couldn't make it work. A pity as I would have very happily returned if passing by.

1  Thank Maybemunchkin

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Planned to visit this area this weekend and on the strength of the recent reviews we telephoned the pub last Friday (4 April) to book a table for last night (11 April) for 7.30. We gave our mobile phone as the contact number. Arrived at the pub last night around 7.15 to find it closed. Luckily we know this area and there are a wealth of other good - open - pubs. Dont know if last night was a one off, (there was no signage up to indicate that they had closed due to emergency etc) or if its closed for the forseable future.
To save dissapointment we suggest that if you are planning to visit the Salutation, you ring them first.

2  Thank palaciogirl
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I went here for Sunday lunch with my family and was very pleased with the tasty dishes served. I had the plaice which was very flavoursome and my mother had the lamb roast which was cooked to perfection.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I were staying in Castle Combe for a night last night and we didn't want to eat in our hotel so to be quite honest, chose this pub as a result of a google search for the nearest place to eat! Well thank goodness for google! walked into a charming intimate pub with plenty of character - the lady who made us feel welcome was lovely and we were shown to our table which was in a lovely place!
The whole pub had a very charming atmosphere.
the starters were gorgeous - creamed mushrooms on toast - after such a lovely start we were looking forward to the main course and were not disappointed at all as they were just as delicious!
I had the slow roast Gloucester old spot belly pork which truly was a gorgeous meal and hubby had a (huge) burger which he loved also!
I just wanted to say a huge compliments to the chef as it really was a delicious meal!
Service was very efficient too - didn't have any kind of a delay in waiting for food or anything else like I have read on another review here... that must have been a one off bad night - there were lots of people eating last night and it didn't result in service being slow!
Spot on! Cant actually think of anything bad I can say about this lovely little place!
I SHALL be returning on my next trip there!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Celebrated our birthdays here with a Family Lunch. Small pub with snug bar and restaurant tables. Clean plates and empty glasses all round! We loved the food - belly pork and savoy cabbage, beautifully grilled plaice, homemade burgers, and puddings to die for. We'll be back.