“Par excellence”
Review of Rectory Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crudwell
Rectory Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Crudwell B&B and Inns
“Par excellence”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wow - just back from the Rectory hotel.

This is a truly unique hotel in a great location, affording a very very comfortable stay.

The food was excellent, the staff highly attentive without being intrusive.

Stunning walled garden and grounds.

Will definitely return again.

The owners, management and staff should be proud of what they have achieved.

Thanks for a great stay.

Steve

Room Tip: Take your pick each is unique.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Myviewtoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

As we drove into The Rectory Hotel my first impression was that this was going to be a superb place to stay; beautiful gardens, and an attractive property set in a quiet little village. The reception area was tastefully decorated and everything looked to be so promising.

From then on it was downhill. Despite there being two members of staff at reception, (one was sat behind a computer and ignored us, the other was busy speaking to two other customers) we were left standing for 25 minutes until we were checked in. However, in the interim we were greeted by the most delightful gardener one could hope to meet; kind, friendly and helpful and whose work was definitely the finest part of the hotel. She was a great ambassador for the Rectory Hotel and if the rest of the stay had been up to her standard this review would have been very different.

The room was reasonable at best, the style being chabby chic. However there was chabby in abundance and very little chic. The en suite bathroom was a great let down - cheap, dirty old laminate flooring, broken bath plug/chain, broken sink tap, etc. It was not even up to the standard of a low grade B&B let alone a hotel that is charging £129/night.

The food at breakfast was fine. However service was poor one morning and we were constantly having to ask for things.... may I have a bowl to put my cereal in... may I have some butter please...... the orange juice has run out.......... the granola cereal has run out........... it just spoilt what should have been a pleasurable experience of eating a relaxing breakfast.

The hotel provides a heated outdoor swimming pool which was in keeping with the standard of the room; lots of chabby but not much chic. It was filled with leaves and debris and needed a thorough clean, let alone a revamp.

Hospitality trays are not provided in the rooms but tea/coffee making facilities are left out in the corridor for communal use (not the best idea; who wants to go out of one's bedroom in a dressing gown to make a morning cup of tea/coffee? Actually that's very selfish of me; it would be extremely traumatic for another resident to see me in the morning, in the corridor, in my dressing gown). Even this wasn't properly managed with the milk left spilt in the fridge and on the floor, (no, it wasn't us who spilt it but we did clear the mess up after the second day because no one else did), stocks of tea and milk not replensished, (going out into the corridor to make tea is one thing but to stumble down to another floor is much more challenging...... ''it's your turn dear, I made it yesterday morning''), etc.

One redeeming feature worthy of note; there was a very nice touch by housekeeping of leaving the bedside lamps turned on and classical music playing softly from the radio for one's return to the room.

The Rectory Hotel has a sister business in the form of a pub across the road called the Potting Shed. Now this was in stark contrast to the Hotel; exceptional staff, great decor and wonderful food. We spent two very pleasurable nights in there and were delighted with it.

Would I return? No way. There are a plethora of far better hotels in the Cotswolds which won't entice one in and then disappoint.

Room Tip: Go and view the room, especially the bathroom, before committing to a stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pete187067
TheRectoryHotel, Manager at Rectory Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Pete187067,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I was obviously disappointed to receive this as you will see from our previous reviews our customer service is something that we particularly pride ourselves in at The Rectory, however, it seems that we let you down on several occasions during your stay and I hope you will accept our apologies.

I have since spoken to the staff members involved with looking after you. Upon check-in the staff were aware that you had arrived but thought you were enjoying a conversation with the gardeners and did not want to interrupt.

With regards to the service you received at breakfast, again, please accept my apologies for this. It seems it had been a particularly busy morning at the hotel and I am sorry that this affected you.

The Tea and coffee stations are something that work very well for us at The Rectory, as we are part of the Slow Food Movement and using packaged UHT milk is simply not an option for us. However, it does state in the Guest Information Folders in all rooms that we will gladly provide fresh tea and coffee to the rooms at any time.

I am sorry that you felt the room you stayed in was not up to your standard. This very room was only recarpeted one month ago and received a new bed in January. I am pleased to say that we have now redecorated the bathroom and addressed the other issues that you mentioned so thank you for this feedback.

It is such a shame that you did not mention these issues upon check out or during your stay as we would have definitely done our best to rectify them for you. However, should you have any further feedback I would be very pleased to hear from you. Jenna.tomblin@therectoryhotel.com

Kind regards
Jenna Tomblin
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This review is long overdue but it certainly merits posting as, to date, we’re still being regularly complimented by all of our friends and family for the wonderful wedding we had at The Rectory. The food was fantastic, the hotel is intimate & well kept and provided the perfect backdrop for a weekend wedding.

The exceptionally friendly team of staff went to great lengths to ensure that our wedding party was well looked after for the whole weekend; our elderly relatives were given chairs when we were using the garden areas: cakes were replenished when stocks were low: our flowers were attended to: candles were lit as the evening approached – and many more details that would otherwise have been overlooked by ourselves in the planning. What’s more, all of above were completed very discretely so it really doesn’t feel like there are ‘staff’ there.

Charlotte de Vries coordinated our wedding from start to finish and she was one of the main reasons we booked The Rectory for our wedding. Her attitude is professional and fun, she was extremely thorough and approachable and she’d be the first person I’d want on my team if we were to organize another large event. Together with Jenna, the Rectory’s manager, you are in safe and stylish hands for wedding planning. Sadly we didn’t meet the chef on the day but the food was outstanding and we were very happy with the options available for tailoring the menu.

I guess everyone approaches a wedding with wildly different budgets but we were pleasantly surprised with the costs involved for renting the hotel for the 2-night option. We also felt very comfortable throughout the planning process and during the weekend stay that the final bill would be within our limits as Charlie and the team had a great handle on where our set limits were for drinks etc and their pricing strategies were clear.

The only small tweak we would make to the whole weekend would be to use the gardens a little bit more. A BBQ the night before would have been perfect although The Potting Shed Pub just across the road was lovely for a large pre-wedding meal. So thank you to the Rectory, we hope to be back sometime soon. Sarah & Toby

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I took my 83 year old for two nights to The Rectory at Crudwell last week and it was absolutely perfect for us. The staff were all so welcoming and although the faces changed over the three days we were there, they were all extremely helpful and nothing was a problem. The house is really quirky, with an eclectic mix of furnishings, paintings, objets d'art - old, new and very modern and it all just fits together with such style. The gardens are lovely, although could do with a little bit more attention to the weeds (but that could just be me as an avid gardener). We stayed in Belas Knap room, which was on the second floor. As we wanted a twin bedded room we had a limited choice, but next time I would rather be on the 1st floor where it seemed rooms were more spacious with bigger windows overlooking the gardens. Breakfast was excellent and they take great attention to providing locally sourced foods. We did not eat in the hotel in the evening but went to The Potting Shed pub one night. Exceptional food and service and was tempted by every item on the menu. On Friday night, a number of new guests arrived, and we discovered that the whole hotel was being taken over on Saturday for a wedding. We were disappointed to leave on Saturday morning and not see the end result of the transformation to perfect country wedding venue. We will return.

Room Tip: First floor - bigger and better views over gardens.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from my stay at The Rectory. The words rough-luxe and shabby-chic and London tainted style trends watered down the social media descriptions and with me as i drove into the provincial heartlands of this beautiful part of Wiltshire.

Arriving up the gravel drive the house makes an immediate impression and the view of the quaint village church would have Bill Bryson sparring with Wordsmith to paint in words a picture perfect English country scene. The church bell even tolling for that truly authentic English experience.

The hotel itself really does feel like you are staying at your rich Aunt's country pad. The receptionists seem to live in a boot cupboard and check in took all of about 20 seconds. No fancy computers, no trace of any modernity. Instead there are some green hunter wellingtons, cricket bats and croquet mallets in wicker baskets.

Unlike say Cliveden or more upmarket stately home hotels, The Rectory has no pretension about it, it is a take it as you find it place- warts and all. If you come in expecting a refined, impeccable hand on foot service and a general air of decaying stuffiness look elsewhere. And more fool you.

Let's get some of the possible negatives out of the way, like your such Aunt's house in the country the house has it's share of idiosyncrasies- my room on the 1st floor was called Sudeley- it was large, airy with a huge bathroom- yet there were a few (literal cobwebs) and yes as some others have commented maybe it could do with a small touch up here and there. There were also the inevitable flies that flew around the room a little disconcertingly at times.

Yet, and here is the thing, quibbling over these details seems to be missing the point of this place. In in it's favour the hotel is put together and run (by a small number of seemingly endlessly multi-tasking staff) in a way that offers a pretty unique and unforgettable experience.

I stayed for three days and felt I had the house to myself, the breakfast was sublime, the view over the gardens in the morning sunshine a wonderful start to the day, then out to the pool- which reminded me more of a boho-chic school pool (the sort you would find at a rather well endowed prep school in Norfolk but left on it's own to mature for a year) than a luxury spa, slightly frayed round the edges- but again it was heated and there was a hammock to one side where I lay and read a book (laid out for guests on each floor to borrow). It was charming- truly. You can order drinks from one of the hard working invisible elves, who bring it to your hammock.

For the three days I was here felt I was having the house, pool and grounds to myself whilst my rich aunt was away on her holidays- looked after by people who seemed to have one purpose of making my life a bit easier.

To explain the sort of service you can expect, I was working in the evenings at the theatre in Swindon and back late- each night the chef (or no doubt one those hard working (did I mentioned smartly dressed) elves) left me a sandwich and bottle of beer in the fridge on the landing. It was nice sandwich and a cold beer- after a hot day dancing on the stage of The Swindon theatre- neither has tasted better.

I had some of my friends from the theatre to come and enjoy the place as my Aunt still had not returned, the elves were fine with this and happily furnished us with a jug of Pimms filled with fresh fruit and served on the Croquet lawn.

You have a lovely bottle of water served each day next to the joys of a Roberts digital radio and a view over the gardens which can be enjoyed in my particular room- with a his and hers window seat.

The pub opposite run by the owners of the hotel is also a great place for lunch, super food, lovely ales and lots of quirky gins- you can put it all on your room as well. Which I did. I spent more this way as well, so it's win win all round.

In short you are left to your own devices to make the most of The Rectory, extend your imagination and you will have a stay you will never forget, you make your own trip up as you go along. If you start complaining about the cobwebs you should just walk out and leave and take your money with you as you are depriving someone else of something that little bit special. Go and stay at the Hilton outside Swindon by the M4.

I wish only I had the chance to eat in their restaurant and have a drink in the quaint hotel bar- but these will have to wait until the chance for a return visit…which I will try and time for another time when my rich Aunt is away on her holidays again.

Room Tip: Sudeley was a joy- the bed is seriously- no seriously- comfy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank alastairwhatley
Slough
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Birds chirping , church bells ringing , smell of fresh air what a way to wake up in the morning. Myself and my husband stayed at rectory hotel for two night while we visited the Cotswold and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were friendly , polite and welcoming. Food was excellent. Would recommend to anyone . And defineatly would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We attended a family wedding at The Rectory and were very impressed with the location, beauty and atmosphere. The room was lovely (although watch out for the showers without screens or curtains), the food was delicious (although a little salty at times) and the staff were friendly.

My cousin and his new wife were overjoyed at their wedding venue and the day as a whole. Unfortunately there do seem to exist a few silly policies... My parents were unable to book three rooms for the night before as the hotel did not allow more than six rooms of wedding guests, yet we had three rooms on the day of the wedding (tip, don't say you're with the wedding party); we thought it may be that the rooms were taken, but there were at least 2 empty rooms the night before the wedding.

My sister did not enjoy her vegetarian meal as much as the rest of us enjoyed our choices in the restaurant and called reception for some fruit as she could not sleep. The night porter informed her that she could not have anything as the kitchen was closed and the chef had gone home (he retuned at 8am, the first of the staff it seemed). All staff appeared to be absent, including to let another couple in after midnight and visitors for the wedding party in first thing in the morning - I would hope as they were busy organising the Big Day.

For a couple's trip away, it would be perfect; for a wedding as the bride and groom it is beyond perfect; for guests, just look over a few details and be prepared for some oddities before reaching the perfection.

It is a shame that a few silly policies should dampen a guest experience, but I hope the hotel may review these to avoid further guests experiencing any disappointment.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the far side of the building as the bells from the church next door kept some guests...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
TheRectoryHotel, General Manager at Rectory Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Jennies,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the wedding you attended with us. Weddings are an essential part of our business and we all work very hard to ensure that the day is enjoyed not only by the happy couple but also by all of the guests attending.

However, we were distressed to hear that you think we have some 'silly policies'. Our policy regarding limiting room bookings for one party is a policy which we are incredibly proud of. We do offer wedding couples the opportunity to book the night before their wedding exclusively at a discounted rate, If they decide not to do this then we do limit the room bookings for their party to a maximum of six. Imagine if you booked a room, sometimes months in advance for a special night away, or a table in our restaurant for an anniversary or special occasion and you arrive to find that the hotel feels like it is being taken over by a larger group or a wedding party. This is not just our policy for weddings, it is also our policy for any parties and something we will definitely stick to.

With regards to the overnight issues you mentioned. Unfortunately as a small twelve bedroom hotel we do not offer a 24 reception or 24 hour room service. Reception is open from 7am-12pm (8am at weekends). As stated in the guest information folder the phones are transferred to a duty manager overnight, however, this is primarily for guests safety.When you called at 1.30am to ask for some food, you were rightly informed that this would not be possible. We would of course been happy to bring you some fruit, however before we were able to find out which room you were in you hung the phone up.

The guests that needed letting in were in fact the brides hair and make up team. Had we been aware that they were arriving at 7.20am we would definitely have arranged to be there to meet them.

We are pleased overall that it didn't affect your enjoyment of what was a wonderful weekend that we loved hosting for Concetta and Matt.

Kind regards
Jenna Tomblin
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crudwell
Best Western Mayfield House Hotel
Snooty Fox Hotel
Snooty Fox Hotel
#5 of 6 in Tetbury
The Hare and Hounds Hotel

Been to Rectory Hotel? Share your experiences!