“Tasty, original and adventurous!”
Review of The Bistro

The Bistro
Ranked #3 of 81 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: As the original Bistro in Devizes (established 2003) we pride ourselves on being true to the original concept - that is a small, family run establishment (usually with a chef owner) providing a menu that often features slow cooked, seasonal dishes. The setting is traditional in that it is informal, relaxed and cosy. However, we are known for food that 'tickles the tastebuds', is influenced by a range of cuisines and always has The Bistro 'twist" to it. Open both at lunch time and in the evening, we have the distinction of also running a cookery school, now known as Vaughan's Cookery School and operating from another location in the town. Committed to sharing a passion for good food, Chef Peter Vaughan is a member of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts and of the Slow Food Movement.
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My boyfriend and I visited The Bistro last night. We were both really impressed by how good the food was. I can honestly say I've never eaten food like it. We ordered from the Moroccan menu and it was delicious. One really special touch was the food being explained as it was brought out to us, it's nice to know what ingredients go into the food and it adds a really personal touch. I would highly recommend eating here. My boyfriend has also attended one of the cookery classes and was very impressed, he's going to book another one soon. Thank you for a very original and tasty evening!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We went to The Bistro to try their Venetian menu they had running and I must say its some of the best food we've ever experienced and that's not just because we love Italian! We had a Cichetti sharing platter to start which was wonderful, little bits of everything from Arancini which are little, crispy risotto balls from cured Bresola to mini crostini's, the perfect starter! For main I had the Polpetti which are Italian meatballs that came in a tomato and butterbean ragu with pancetta draped over the top, gorgeous! My wife had the fish with risotto which was equally as good! Nice succulent fish with a beautiful risotto underneath, cooked to perfection and presented very well! To finish I had the Campari Torte and my wife had the Zabaglione, they were both to die for! Lovely meal and lovely staff! We will definitely be returning for the Moroccan week at the end of March!!!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have eaten at the Bistro five times now and the latest menu was the best ever. Thoroughly enjoyable and perfectly crafted. I had 3 courses and could not eat any more....not a morsel. I've followed recent reviews recently and have come to the conclusion that the reviews that have not been so glowing are by people who are grumpy and are dining with someone they don't particularly like. Anyway, I am really looking forward to the next speciality month. Love it!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We recently tried a wonderful sounding Venetian Night. The menu read well, it had clearly been well thought out and we were actually quite excited to try the evening. Sadly the meal fell woefully short of its promise. After 1hr and 20mins we had only made it through a bog standard starter of cooked meats, overly salty arancini balls and gnocchi so bad they could have been cooked by by nursery school children. When we finally received our main courses I was devastated to find the salt content was just too much to bear. The fish was coated in some cheap form of bread crumb, the prawns were still translucent and my wife's pheasant looked like hacked up road kill. Luckily the service was very good. The waitresses were very polite and extremely apologetic. I was not charged for the meal. Hopefully this was a one off, but from this experience I can only conclude that the front of house is very good but the kitchen is terrible.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Thank you for a lovely evening traditional Italian with passion and pride. Great food cooked and prepared with care and love. All foodies beeline here, you won't be disappointed what's next?