“Lunch at The Bistro with friends” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bistro & Cookery School

The Bistro & Cookery School
Ranked #4 of 80 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: International, British, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: As the original Bistro in Devizes (established 2003) we pride ourselves on being true to the original concept - that is a small, family run establishment (usually with a chef owner) providing a menu that often features slow cooked, seasonal dishes. The setting is traditional in that it is informal, relaxed and cosy. However, we are known for food that 'tickles the tastebuds', is influenced by a range of cuisines and always has The Bistro 'twist" to it. Open both at lunch time and in the evening, we have the distinction of also running a cookery school, now known as Vaughan's Kitchen and operating from another location in the town. Committed to sharing a passion for good food, Chef Peter Vaughan is a member of the Academy of Culinary Arts and of the Slow Food Movement.
Calne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lunch at The Bistro with friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a special place situated in the centre of Devizes! Lunch at The Bistro with friends is a delicious and delightful culinary experience. Chef Peter Vaughan takes a personal interest in offering his customers the best! Out come the home made bread and tasters of unusual dishes while we wait for the meal. Try his warm apple punch on a cold day. We shared the large and varied fish platter, every mouthful a delight. For dessert, we were given a taster platter of a range of out of the ordinary sweets on the menu. The pannacota is heavenly as is the amaretto slice. Superb value for money

• Visited March 2014

Devizes, England, United Kingdom
“Ruined anniversary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We booked a table for our anniversary, when we arrived at the appointed time we were told that there was no booking in our name. We could, however, be accomadated at a tiny table stuck in a corner which we accepted. Cannot remember what the food was like because the whole evening had been soured.
To add insult to injury they ran us on the same day but the following week to ask why we hadn't turned up that evening as per our booking!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Calne, United Kingdom
“Tasty, original and adventurous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My boyfriend and I visited The Bistro last night. We were both really impressed by how good the food was. I can honestly say I've never eaten food like it. We ordered from the Moroccan menu and it was delicious. One really special touch was the food being explained as it was brought out to us, it's nice to know what ingredients go into the food and it adds a really personal touch. I would highly recommend eating here. My boyfriend has also attended one of the cookery classes and was very impressed, he's going to book another one soon. Thank you for a very original and tasty evening!

• Visited March 2014
Devizes, United Kingdom
“An experience not to be missed!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We went to The Bistro to try their Venetian menu they had running and I must say its some of the best food we've ever experienced and that's not just because we love Italian! We had a Cichetti sharing platter to start which was wonderful, little bits of everything from Arancini which are little, crispy risotto balls from cured Bresola to mini crostini's, the perfect starter! For main I had the Polpetti which are Italian meatballs that came in a tomato and butterbean ragu with pancetta draped over the top, gorgeous! My wife had the fish with risotto which was equally as good! Nice succulent fish with a beautiful risotto underneath, cooked to perfection and presented very well! To finish I had the Campari Torte and my wife had the Zabaglione, they were both to die for! Lovely meal and lovely staff! We will definitely be returning for the Moroccan week at the end of March!!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Devizes
“Best food ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I have eaten at the Bistro five times now and the latest menu was the best ever. Thoroughly enjoyable and perfectly crafted. I had 3 courses and could not eat any more....not a morsel. I've followed recent reviews recently and have come to the conclusion that the reviews that have not been so glowing are by people who are grumpy and are dining with someone they don't particularly like. Anyway, I am really looking forward to the next speciality month. Love it!

Visited November 2013