“Friendly, charming B&B”
Review of Rockley House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Devizes
Rockley House
Ranked #8 of 20 Devizes B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, charming B&B”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

A group of us stayed in this really nice B&B in Devizes. The rooms were all a good size, and thoughtfully decorated. I was in an attic room which was quirky and charming. The owners are extremely friendly and helpful. They recommended a really nice restaurant for dinner, and gave us lots of helpful tips. Two lovely friendly cats completed the picture. The house was spotlessly clean and breakfast was extremely tasty and plentiful.
I would be delighted to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

As the title of this review states, I have stayed here before and every time has been an absolute delight. I have to say Graham and Jane Bayley, the owners of Rockley House, make you feel so welcome; nothing seems to be to much trouble to them to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. Be you staying on business, like myself, or like other guests I met, holidaying or touring, they just make you feel so welcome and your stay an absolute delight. Both Graham and Jane will always advise on places of interest and charming places to eat.

The rooms are very clean and bright, the ones I have stayed in all had huge beds that were so comfortable a great nights sleep was almost guaranteed; traffic settles by eleven then gently wakes you about six in the morning, so an alarm is not necessary. The breakfasts have always been excellent, I tended to have cereal and a bacon sandwich but a full menu is available with fresh fruit on the table which was always a delight and very enjoyable.

I would defiantly stay again at Rockley House and indeed intend to, but the next time it will be for pleasure and with my wife; Graham, Jane, you have been warned!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Rockley House is tastefully and freshly decorated throughout. The couple that own and run it are friendly and thoughtful. My bed was extremely comfortable, and the breakfast abundant and delicious. I hugely enjoyed my one night's stay and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have been to Rockley House few times now - and it is one of those B&Bs where you feel you are going back to see your friends.
The house is beautiful and with character, I loved the comfortable rooms (we stayed in 3 different ones so far) and the decor. The rooms on top floor are particularly cute and quirky with sloping ceilings, whereas the first floor rooms are more elegant. The house is on the side of Kenneth and Avon canal with a pretty little sloped garden bordering on the water side. Short walk from Devizes centre, location is very convenient - also due to the fact that coming from London side of the country, it is very easy to find as it is positioned on the outskirts of the village so you reach it before entering the village - really hard to miss.
Most of all however I enjoyed the very homely feel of the place. Jane is a fantastic host, warm, welcoming and helpful. The cats are lovely and well behaved. Referring to the previous comment - it is true that the doors do not have locks - but I never felt that my possesions are in any danger - also because you do end up meeting all the co-guests over breakfast and Jane is in the house most of the day, so I do not think it is easy to enter somebody else's room un-noticed.
If you are looking for 5* experience, this is probably not the place for you, but otherwise - it is amazing, relaxed and homely way to spend your free time. We will deffinitely go back there again... Thank you Jane for creating this fantastic space.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Cheshire
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We go away a lot and have stayed in several B&Bs and have found them to be up to a fairly high standard. So after looking at the good ratings on here, we had no hesitation in booking Rockley House.

Unfortunately we are not in agreement with most of the reviews on here. Rockley is way behind other places we've stayed in.

Our main complaint is that there are no locks on the bedroom doors. We are very annoyed that this is not made clear on their website as it is such a basic expectation and potential visitors should be warned that this is the case (this is the main reason for this review). Guests should have a secure place to leave their belongings, and although the atmosphere is that of a family home, expecting guests to risk their belongings by trusting complete strangers is unacceptable. Devizes is a nice place but to think that no crime ever happens there is very naive and ironic as Rockley is directly opposite the police HQ. It’s also a privacy issue as everyone has access to your room, albeit not necessarily to take anything.

We booked two doubles and got one double and one twin. The rooms were dated and tired-looking. The bathrooms need replacing. They have mould on the walls, the sinks and showers look dirty, there was dust on top of furniture and lamps, the fittings were old and the showers were not ‘powerful’ as stated on the website. Half-used family-sized bottles of shower gel and shampoos were left there, which looked awful, and which is why you usually get new mini bottles for your personal use.

The landlady made a personal comment to us which whilst maybe not out of rudeness, just said without thinking it through, was unprofessional and quite offensive. Other than that, we were treated with friendliness and helpfulness to be fair.

There were other little things, such as the lack of biscuits. Not the end of the world but when it says on their website that they offer a `well-stocked refreshment tray’ we felt a bit misled! Also, the milk was in a fridge at the end of the corridor so although some people may prefer fresh milk, it was just an inconvenience as every time you made a drink you had to leave your room and go down the corridor then go back again to put it back. The times when you want a cup of tea in your room such as first thing in the morning, you are not usually dressed!

Some towels were rock hard they were so old, rubbish had been left in drawers, and much as I love cats, they have the free run of the place including the bedrooms, and we ended up with cat hairs on our clothes and on the bedding. I've stayed in places with pets before and they are kept downstairs in either the hosts’ private rooms or at least in the main living room and communal areas. Again, as with the lack of locks it’s as if you are staying in their home. This is a nice idea but there have to be some boundaries as we are paying guests.

We had to eat breakfast at one big table which again may be a nice idea for some, but we felt awkward and were unable to talk much as strangers were sat right next to us. I like a friendly chat but again I would draw the line at eating my meal with people I don't know, especially when I am paying for the pleasure of it. Part of the appeal of going away is to spend time with the people you're there with, or like us if you are on business you are then unable to talk about it..

One of our tellies turned itself off and wouldn’t come back on, and although this was looked into the next day (but sadly not resolved as it kept doing it in the evenings), it was just another problem to add to the list of issues. We had to retune our other telly ourselves as the Freeview channels needed updating.

My room was freezing at night as the radiator was only slightly warm (our other one was working). When I raised it with the owner she said it isn't cold enough for it to come on properly. Obviously not the case as it was on high, just lukewarm, but by that point I had lost any will to enjoy my stay, so rather than push the issue, I gave up and would just never stay here again. It may be a home from home for some but for us it was just nowhere near what you should get for your money even from a basic B&B, a big disappointment.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank DP_19721917
bayley202, Owner at Rockley House, responded to this review, 6 June 2015
I know this is an old review by a guest who did not enjoy any aspect of her stay with us, the booking was made on her behalf by a company and was not in anyway what she had expected. We tried hard to make her comfortable but failed at every turn for which we apologised. Thankfully her experience is not shared by the majority of our guests but this review still unsettles an number of potential customers.
Without addressing all of the issues raised, I will confirm that this is still primarily a family home, guests do sit at a large communal table, our furniture is eclectic and not to everybody's taste, the cats do not go in guest rooms but we admit to having no control over their movements and they lounge as they please in the communal areas. Guest comfort and security is always a concern for us. Can I just reassure anyone who may be worried by it that ALL our rooms DO have keys. Additionally there is a security code on the front door that is changed on departure.
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My partner and I and our dog walked from Reading to Bath along the Kennet and Avon Canal in July. We stopped off at dog friendly accommodation along the way and Rockley House stood out as one of our favourites. It's a short walk from the canal and town centre. The house and bedrooms are spacious,and beautifully/individually decorated with a great eye for detail. The owners and their family are friendly and accomodating and made it feel like a home from home. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Rockley House is a top-notch 'Bed and Breakfast', in an excellent position, within a short stroll of the historic town of Devizes and within easy reach of several lovely places, including Shaftesbury, Salisbury, Amesbury, Stonehenge etc.
The bedrooms are large, with good-sized, modern 'en suite' facilities and big, comfortable beds.
The breakfast, in the lovely, big, beautifully proportioned and tastefully furnished dining room was superb,
There were big bowls full of fresh fruit, including melon and strawberries, a wide choice of cereals and an excellent cooked meal with all the variations of scrambled, fried and poached eggs, plus lovely fresh mushrooms, sausages, bacon etc.
Rockley House fronts onto the Avon and Kennet Canal, and it was relaxing to watch the various craft; narrow boats, cabin cruisers and kayaks going quietly past, from the seating area in the back garden of the house.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family