“Very relaxing break”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Berkswell, United Kingdom
“Very relaxing break”
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Thank you Sue & Martyn, we had a very enjoyable stay. Lovely accommodation and a fantastic garden for children. Hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Staying at Southdown B+B, whilst working midweek in Devizes, has been an absolute pleasure. The location, being on the outskirts of the town in an enviable quiet location, is far enough for an "escape" after a busy day working in this bustling little town, but close enough, to stroll to and from its leisure attractions., with good access to local trunk roads, and plenty of secure parking space.
The standard of the accomodation is high, with cleanliness at clinical levels. The hosts, Sue and Martyn are attentive without being obtrusive, and fine details such as a daily home made cake to accompany the complimentary fruit, biscuits, and hot and cold drinks is most welcome.
Sue prides herself on her breakfast fayre, and rightly so. It is undoubtedly superior in both quality and variety to many a high starred hotel.
Having been rather apprehensive in accepting a seven week contract in Devizes during the winter, staying at Southdown, has influenced my decision to return in the spring for another stint in Wiltshire.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Cambridge
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Southdown B&B is an absolute gem in the heart of Wiltshire. And, if you love walking and would like a tailor-made walking holiday to explore the aspects of this county's breathtaking landscape and history that interest you most, you can also opt to book a White Horse Walking Holiday.

Sue and Martyn, the owners, really meant it when they said that they wanted to take the best of all the places that they had stayed in themselves and combine them in their own B&B - they have done this exceptionally successfully. The rooms are all lovely, elegantly decorated, spacious, warm and clean with nice green views out of the windows, giving a lovely air of the tranquility of the countryside outside. The B&B itself is situated in a beautiful location on the edge of the stunning Roundway Down, a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) that boasts some of the most incredible views in the county, overlooking the Vale of Pewsey. Southdown B&B is also within easy walking distance of the historic Devizes town centre, with the Wiltshire Heritage Museum, Wadworths Brewery and all manner of lovely shops and eateries, as well as being only a short and easy drive to Avebury. There is also a well-connected bus stop within a few minutes walk, where services run to Avebury and many other places.

At Southdown B&B, the food is absolutely delicious. Where possible it is all locally made or homemade. During my stay I had some lovely homemade meals, and at breakfast, having decided to order as much cooked breakfast as I thought I could possibly manage, Sue pointed me towards a huge bowl of her delicious homemade yoghurt. I also raided the pastries and toast (rhubarb jam - how lovely!), not to mention the huge selection of other choices of museli, cereal and fruit! I was also lucky enough to try one of Sue's famous afternoon bakes - this time delicious bread pudding - which I have been trying (and failing) to re-create ever since! Sue may well be getting an email with a recipe request...

Really importantly, if you would like to explore the Wiltshire countryside, Sue and Martyn are among the very best qualified to help you discover the landscapes, historic sites, towns and villages that reflect your chosen interests. Sue and Martyn are incredibly experienced walkers (not just in Wiltshire but all over the UK) and know Wiltshire like the backs of their hands (or it certainly seems that way at least!) and are very well connected, reflective of their knowledge and passion for walking and for Wiltshire. Sue and Martyn were recently asked by the Wiltshire Heritage Museum to produce a walk around one of Wiltshire's white horses, and a leaflet describing the White Horse Trail for the exhibition 'White Horses and Hill Figures', as well as leading a walk for the Museum. Sue and Martyn understand the varying interests and capabilities of different individuals, and this really shows when they are tailor-making their walks. If you tell Sue and Martyn what you are interested in, or the types of things you would like to see, they will reflect your interests when suggesting walks or places to visit. And, their knowledge and resources are so great that Sue even recommended some new walks for me in Cambridgeshire where I live and walk regularly!

Above all, Sue and Martyn are absolutely lovely, really friendly and genuinely enthusastic about ensuring that you have a fantastic stay and make the most of Wiltshire. Apart from their incredible knowedge of the Wiltshire countryside, they are always keen to recommend other sights that may be of interest to visit, as well as shops, eateries etc. I have in the past sometimes felt slightly awkward in the company of B&B owners, but you definitely won't have that problem with Sue and Martyn! No wonder so many of their guests come back to stay time and time again... I think I may become one of them...!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Merykare
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2010

In response to the previous reviewer’s last paragraph, Sue certainly looks after her “paying guests” extremely well and both her and Martyn made us feel most welcome in their home. We booked a 6 night walking holiday for the beginning of October and had a wonderful time (you can also book just B&B). We stayed in the Green Room overlooking the lovely back garden. The room is comfortable, modern, large and very clean with a flat screen TV and ensuite shower. Guests share a lounge. The breakfasts really set you up for a day’s walking and there’s a huge choice if you want it. It’s the little extras that make this not just a good B&B but a great B&B -tea/coffee/biscuits/fruit in the lounge, afternoon tea and cake when you get back each day, a hot tub (that was definitely needed after a long day’s walk!), maps, guide books and reading books galore in the lounge, plus filtered water to fill your water bottles each day. Sue will also provide packed lunch and evening meal if you give enough notice.

We hadn’t planned any walks before we arrived (unusual for us), but we told Sue that we’d like to do some walks incorporating the National Trust properties in the area as we’re members and she produced routes and maps for them. We also did a longer days walk and spent a day looking round Devizes (a pleasant market town) and the Caen Hill Locks. There are plenty of places to eat in Devizes, to cater for all tastes and prices. I’d definitely stay again if in Wiltshire and will recommend Southdown to friends who like walking.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
WhiteHorseWalker, Owner at Southdown B&B / White Horse Walking Holidays, responded to this review, 28 October 2010
I would like to thank all our reviewers for their comments. It's reassuring that we are providing exactly what they want from a B&B, whether or not they are on a walking holiday. When we started this business, we thought about the places in which we have stayed and set out to take the best from them all and to learn from our own experiences (both good & bad.) All guests are assured of a warm welcome and of our personal attention. We will shortly be closing for the rest of this year to enable us to provide a further en-suite shower room and an improved guest lounge - advance bookings for 2001 are welcome.
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Hopefully TA will post this review. I did not stay overnight at this B&B but I spent the afternoon with Sue, saw her house and had lunch.

I was posting on various England forums with regards to an upcoming trip and had many responses from Sue (WhiteHorseWalker is her TA name). I did not plan to stop in Wiltshire but rather was heading to Somerset after landing at Heathrow. As I began to more closely plan my itinerary I realized I'd be going through Wiltshire. I admit to being a bit "cheeky" and PM'd Sue and asked if she would mind taking me on a walk around her town. (Her B&B specializes in those who are interested in walking about the White Horses of Wilshire.)

She was very kind in accepting the invitation I made for myself and I showed up looking a fright after 10 hours on a plane and 90 minutes of driving on the "wrong" side of the road. We made an unscheduled detour into Devizes as I locked us out of her house (oh, Sue, I'm still squirming over that one) but it was a lovely day and Sue's hospitality and friendliness made the jet lag and yes, some of my fears over taking myself off for a month's vacation alone, melt away. And to top all this off, she made me lunch!!

Her house is lovely with a large garden and wonderful conservatory -- a short and pleasant walk into Devizes. Sue herself is a wonderfully warm and caring hostess and her B&B is so pleasantly arranged with a great load of resources, especially targeting those who love to walk and amble the amazing English countryside.

I left wondering, if this is what she does for someone she "met" through the forums on TA, what does she do for her paying guests? I may never know ... but I think it would be worthwhile for anyone planning a trip to Devizes to find out!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Hawley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 days and nights at the Southdown B&B. Our room was large, bright, airy, and immaculate. The semi-private adjoining lounge was well stocked with books, maps, postcards, beverages and snacks. Our hostess and host, Sue and Martyn, certainly went the extra mile to insure that we had the best time possible. Breakfasts were scrumptious and the mile or so walk through a tree lined and canopied path were the perfect beginnings to our exciting days. We had such a wonderful time, due in part to our attentive and caring hosts, that we are planning a return trip to the Southdown B&B again next year.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Sitting in the glass-walled conservatory eating a magnificent breakfast, looking out at the large green garden screened with trees, I was able to watch the many birds which visit this peaceful spot. The previous evening I walked down the adjacent lane, and met a young deer. Today at breakfast, I "met" Freddie the pheasant, who came up and stood right on the step to look in. This is how close you can get to nature here!
I had the White Room, which has two windows: one faces the front of the house; the other the fields at the side. At night, peace & quiet, and no street lights or busy roads. When darkness falls, it is complete. In the daytime, the house is filled with sunshine and light.
I come here when I want peace and quiet, nurturing, restful sleep, and good food.
After my walks, there was the hot tub in the garden, and I was always welcomed with a cup of herbal tea and some delicious homemade cakes.
Sue & Martyn are so kind and welcoming, and I already recommend this place to my friends and family. I haven't even mentioned the beautiful countryside; the guided walks that Sue arranges; the ancient and sacred "Quaker's Walk" beside the B&B, which leads into Devizes... and of course the proximity of Avebury, Stonehenge and many other places of interest.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo