“Big Improvement”

The Castle Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #65 of 80 Restaurants in Devizes
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional English favourites freshly prepared and delivered with care. We will be very happy to meet any special dietary requirements. Our lounge bar offers a choice of real ales from the local brewery and some lovely wines to be enjoyed next to one of our open fires. We also have a separate restaurant, great for an intimate dinner for two or a group or family gathering. We're happy to cater for family occasions, corporate events and formal dinners or buffets.
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Took my parents for a quick lunch and wow what an improvement to the place, you can tell there is a new manager onboard (possibly new owner), the place has been spruced up, the menu isn't the length of a football pitch and the food is hot, fresh and plentiful. Didn't give the full 5 stars as I think as children are allowed in there should be a small selection of childrens food. That said they did provide sausage and chips on request. Friendly guy behind the bar who interacts without it appearing to be hard work to do so!

CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Nat,

Thank you for visiting The Castle Hotel for lunch and for leaving your lovely review. I will pass your very kind words onto the staff.

You're absolutely correct, we are new owners. We acquired the hotel in Feb '12, closed it, refurbished throughout and re-opened in late March '12. John Hume, our General Manager joined us in late May '12 and has done an fine job in improving the menu, food quality and overall experience. The whole team work extremely hard to deliver good experiences in both the restaurant and bar, so it is lovely to receive such recognition from new customers and old.

Regarding children's options, there should be a kids menu available, I'll look into that error, my apologies. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Though I haven't stayed in the hotel part, as I live locally, myself and 15 colleagues went to the restaurant for our Christmas meal.
Not only was it great value for money, the food was perfectly cooked and delicious.
You can tell that the new owners are really striving to improve their business.
Getting 16 meals out on time, and perfectly cooked is no mean feat and the chefs did excellently. I started off with a roasted vegetable tart, followed by one of the best beef wellingtons i've ever had (again cooked beautifully). We were treated to a champagne sorbet between courses, and the meal was finished off by some of the best sweets I've seen or tasted (I sampled 3!!), plus gorgeous puff pastry mince pies still warm from the oven!

1  Thank Daizi R
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Daizi

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I will pass your lovely words onto our kitchen team.

I'm delighted that we produced great food for your party in a timely fashion and I'm glad you enjoyed our desserts...all of them!!

We certainly look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Came here on a Sunday for lunch. I had a Caesar salad and my partner had soup. The chicken was very dry and over cooked and the place lacked any sort of atmosphere. The soup had very little flavor. Very poor vegetarian options. Will not be eating here again.

CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Dear Crazy-j,

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to the Castle Hotel way back in July. Please accept my apologies. I can offer you no specific explanation for the problems that you encountered on the day as it was such a long time ago, but we are sorry.

We welcome all feedback and we use that feedback to improve our customers experience in the future. Let me assure you that if you had brought the issues to our attention on the day, we would have done everything that we could to put them right. It's a great shame that we did not have the opportunity to address your complaint at the time and improve your experience.

If I may add however that it can be a little unhelpful and often misleading for owners, managers and potential future guests, when reviews are posted so long after a customer visits. As in this case, the review may be completely unrepresentative of the current situation and does not take into account any improvements that are made in the interim 6 months between visit and review.

With the correct leadership, restaurants change, they evolve. New management teams work to improve the customer experience, feedback is processed, new kitchen teams enhance menus and service is improved. Dated reviews show no reflection of such adaptations and improvements, so can be a little unfair.

Notwithstanding the fact that you had a disappointing visit in July, a great deal of hard work has gone into improving the food offer at the Castle, sadly, none of which can be captured by a review dating back 6 months.

Again, please accept my apologies, but thank you for your review and I regret that we will not be seeing you again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 November 2012

After travelling all day we were so thrilled to find this lovely friendly pub. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. The food was the best we had while travelling in the U.K. It was all so fresh and tasty and served with a very well priced bottle of wine. My only regret is that we didn't book accommodation there as we had pre-booked elsewhere. Highly recommended. Vicki (Australia)

CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Vicki

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of our restaurant. It is so so pleasing to hear such lovely comments about our hotel. I'm delighted that you were well looked after by our team and that you had such a fabulous meal.

I will pass you wonderful comments on to all of the staff, they will be delighted.

Thank you again.

Best Regards

Reviewed 17 October 2012

we went in to the castle for lunch, well what can i say. the food was fantastic,and the scotch egg was so good. the staff were very pleasant. we have been in before, the new menu is so much better. we will be back again. thank you

CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear Brenda,

Thank you for returning to the Castle Hotel and thank you for your second lovely review.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed our new menu, we have had great feedback and it is extremely pleasing to hear that our previous customers are enjoying the changes.

I agree, the homemade Scotch Egg is one of my favourite dishes and often recommended by staff!

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind Regards