“Wedding breakfast”

The Castle Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #44 of 81 Restaurants in Devizes
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional English favourites freshly prepared and delivered with care. We will be very happy to meet any special dietary requirements. Our lounge bar offers a choice of real ales from the local brewery and some lovely wines to be enjoyed next to one of our open fires. We also have a separate restaurant, great for an intimate dinner for two or a group or family gathering. We're happy to cater for family occasions, corporate events and formal dinners or buffets.
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Massive thank you to jo and jon, the managers, and all the staff at the hotel for looking after our wedding party so well on sat 19th October.
The whole planning experience was made so easy by this young talented couple with nothing being too much trouble.
On the day they made the restraunt look fantastic for us, absolutely perfect.
Very good food from adam the chef and his team.
Would highly recommend the castle for any functions.
Overall we couldn't have had a better time,
Jackie and Carl

1  Thank Carl G
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Carl

Thank you for your very kind words regarding the Castle Hotel and particularly for your lovely feedback on John, Jo and the staff.

I'm so pleased that your special day went so smoothly and that you had such a lovely time.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is a lovely place to go for a drink or something to eat. Where the management are visible and make the effort to come and say hello.

CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Crossy

Thank you for taking time to post such lovely comments. Our General Manager, John, is indeed very visible and always concerned for our customers comforts and needs. I'll pass your kind words on to him and his lovely partner Jo.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We booked in advance for Sunday lunch for 8 and they only had room in the bar area. This seemed a bit bleak at first but the staff were efficient in sorting out drinks and after some delay directing us to the carvery in the restaurant. There were 3 meats on offer and small,medium or large portions. The quality was good although the Yorkshire puddings were a bit tough! There was a plentiful choice of vegetables. The puddings were excellent, clearly kitchen made, rather than bought in. A total bill of £115 proved excellent value and despite a rather hesitant start it proved a good Sunday lunch spot.

1  Thank Stephen L

Dear Richard and Amy

Thank you for visiting the Castle for your Sunday lunch. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post such a lovely review, I'm glad that you were impressed.

Thanks also for booking your large party in advance, please accept my apologies that you were accommodated in the bar area not the restaurant, this should have been avoided. I'm very pleased that this did not detract from your lunchtime enjoyment.

You're quite right, all of our desserts are homemade by our kitchen team, they'll be delighted to hear your positive comments.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Have eaten here lunhtimes several times and I have to say I prefer it to evenings. The improvement from the last owners is still evident which is nice but here are my observations from last night;
Again, I asked for a childrens menu - in response to my last review I was assured that there was one but upon asking last night I was told it is just smaller portions of the main menu - no real issue as my 6 year old had sausage chips and beans but there still should be one.
2 of us had haddock and fries (asked for the fries instead of chips) - quality outstanding, flavour lovely.Could have done with a few more fries as over a third of the plate was 'garnish' can't say salad as it was just leaves - I don't believe this was stated on the menu and having removed mine (as I hate salad stuff) I wasn't left with much.
1 of us had green thai curry (chicken and King Prawns) it looked lovely but you seriously need to look at the size of the portion, for a male it was nowhere near enough. That said there were plenty of prawns but only 3 'cubes' of chicken.

I don't want this review to put anyone off because this place really does produce quality flavoursome foods, just maybe order an extra side of fries.

I hope this is something that management will consider - Thank you.

1  Thank Nat M
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Nat M

Once again, thank you for visiting us for a meal, I'm glad that you found the food to be to your liking. I appreciate you taking time to post your feedback, every comment helps.

I'm sorry that your portion size was a little light, I'm unsure why, as we believe in hearty portions to compliment great quality. If you do have any issue in the future, please bring it to our attention and we'll do what we can to put things right.

We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

After a number of years avoiding The Castle because it was tired, run down and not welcoming in the slightest, John and Jo, the new managers of the Castle, have rejuvenated this (now) enchanting establishment. They are the warmest and friendliest of people, and they have ensured that all of their staff are like them. Every time we go there, we receive the warmest of welcomes, and don't even get me started on the food! Every mouthful is an absolute pleasure, and yes, like many other reviews, the scotch egg is to die for!

The cleanliness, which is a bugbear of mine, is of the highest standard also. Big smiles from me!

Going to The Castle is a win win! Long may John and Jo rule!

1  Thank AJQuinn666
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear AJQuinn

I'm delighted that you have become a regular customer at the Castle, thank you for both your custom and your fantastic review.

John and Jo will be incredibly proud to get such fabulous feedback.

Thank you so much for taking time to give such wonderful praise, it's so satisfying to receive.

Kind regards