“We keep coming back and G and D keeps delivering!”

The George and Dragon
Ranked #10 of 81 Restaurants in Devizes
Price range: US$16 - US$43
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our restaurant specialises in seafood delivered daily from St Mawes, in Cornwall. A full- la- carte menu offering meat and game dishes using locally sourced produce is also available in the restaurant and bar. The George & Dragon offers award winning food and is complimented in many food guides. It has been awarded 2 AA rosettes & an Egon Ronay Star.
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

We found this place by accident and a great bit of luck it was! Great food, great service and great place. This is our fifth or sixth visit and it never fails to impress . This time I had Crayfish in garlic butter (delicious) sweet and flavourful. My lovely wife had asparagus wrapped in salmon with holandais and this was beautifully cooked and the portion size was just right.
Mains consisted of the steak for me (cooked bang on medium rare ) and pork belly. Vegetables were wilted spinach and brocolli. Brocolli cooked to perfection al dente and spinach in garlic. Both meals served with beautiful jus.
No room for pud. Breakfasts are marvellous with homemade jams and yogurts and the standard of food is consistently high. Choose from bacon and eggs, kipper, omelette and so on.
Rooms are full of character and very comfy. Service is friendly and not intrusive. Bar is welcoming and cosy.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

My husband and I went for dinner with our daughter and her boyfriend, having heard that it had two AA rosettes. Having eaten in similar places before we were looking forward to an excellent meal. We had the fishy horsd'oevre, (£10 for a bit of smoked salmon, crabmeat, crayfish and a tiny fishcake), the squid and the fig starters. Some bread would have been nice, but that would have been £4 odd extra, per portion. My steamed teriyaki cod fillet was nice enough, but the accompanying spinach had been steamed in the foil parcel with it, and was so salty from the soy that it was really unpleasant,(for which the lovely waitress apologised). Did the chef taste it? The other fish dishes were nice enough, as was my husband's rather undersized rib-eye steak, which came, bizarrely, with a dollop of cold celeriac remoulade on it. His fries (bought-in?), arrived some minutes after his steak - inexcusable when we were the only diners at the time. If you wanted veg each bowl was £3. If I order sauté potatoes I expect just that, not a few pathetic slices with capers and chopped onions - why? The carrots were OK, didn't really notice the honey glaze. We decided against desserts or coffee, having already spent £190, with drinks. We all felt that the high prices would be justified if veg were included and more thought went into presentation. The staff were all very friendly and that made us feel worse, as we really wanted to be able to say that we'd had a wonderful meal. I don't think we'll be going back.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We had champagne on arrival and were shown to our amazing room. We went down to the bar/restaurant and had some lush food. We had potted crab and tempura prawns which were lovely. The potted crab was rich and creamy and delicious. Then we had cheese souffle and crab risotto. The crab risotto was the best risotto I have ever tasted. We shared a sticky toffee pudding to finish the meal off and were not disappointed. Again it was delicious.

The staff were really friendly and the service was great. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be visiting again and again!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We decided to have lunch out on Easter Friday and went to the G and D for a treat and were not disappointed. We were early and had a drink at the bar and a nice chat with the staff. Lovely pint of Duchess by the way. We ordered our food at the bar and were taken to our table when ready. We both had the scallops with black pudding and pork belly. Yes, slightly unusual, but so, so tasty. My wife had the lobster and I went for the cod. Both dishes again first class. The lobster cooked beautifully so that my wife could enjoy every last scrap from the legs!! We finished with the caramalised bananas and the sticky toffe pudding to fill us up completely. Enjoyed every minute from the nice welcome , the food and the terrific service. Thanks guys, see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Maybe next time I'll try the fish because the food I ordered wouldn't bring me back.

The front of house staff were good at their jobs and the drinks on offer were a treat but the food less so.

I ordered the Pea And Ham soup and loved it but that's because I love pea soup - this soup had never been within a mile of a ham, and between you and me a few croutons no not make a replacement for a thick cut slice of bread.

Next up was Lamp Rump, and at £17 odd pounds I expected a bit more than the three elements that came with the dish : lamb rump, mash and gravy. That's a bit cheeky if you ask me and the final kick in the teeth was how tough the rump was.

My other half had the Fig starter and loved it but all six of us agreed NOT to eat there again.

Maybe the head chef is inexperienced and in need of a few more years down the ranks or maybe the manager just doesn't care but whatever the case is something needs to change, or maybe next time I'll try the fish.