“Evening meal twice on walking holiday”
Review of The Silk Mercer

The Silk Mercer
Ranked #39 of 80 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 01380 736760
Reviewed 19 June 2014

All that's good about Wetherspoons plus nice homely alcove areas for seating. Only problems were running out of what I'd have thought were basic ingredients: gravy on the Sunday and sausage and mash on the Monday - by 6.30pm?!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I visit many Wetherspoons around the country while traveling. Devizes is stop off point on our way home good friendly staff,pleasant surroundings, We appreciate the outstanding value for money.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Well you can't really go too far wrong with Wetherspoons, unless you have unrealistic expectations of haute-cuisine! Four of us nipped in here before 1pm on a Thursday - Market Day in the town, which might explain why it was difficult to find somewhere for four of us to sit down.

Thursday is Curry Club and a variety of dishes were on offer with an option to "go large" for an extra £1. I have eaten in several Wetherspoons and I have to say this was the least enjoyable meal I have had. Two of us had curry, both of us a little disappointed with the watery and rather bland bowl of sauce that came. The Lamb Rogan Josh had only two pieces of meat, wonderful and tender making me wish for more! The Chicken Caesar Salad was a hit, as was the fish and chips. Three of the meals included a pint in the price and the whole bill came to under £28 for for of us.

I suspect the curries are all cooked elsewhere and reheated to order, and as such I will not be tempted to join in the curry club again unless I really fancied one! There are better choices to be had on the Wetherspoons menu.

Given how packed and busy the pub was the wait for food was under 20 minutes. Meal after meal was being brought out, and most people seemed to leave fairly empty plates.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I love Wetherspoons pubs and hotels but I am so disappointed with the quality of the food in this one. I have had 2 meals in the last few weeks and the quality was not up to the usual standard of previous Wetherspoons. I did send my last meal back and had to wait so long for my replacement that my husband had almost finished his meal.
I will go back but only for a drink, the staff and the pub itself were fine.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have visited a few Wetherspoon pubs,and have noticed all have one thing in common.The cooked breakfasts are not hot enough.Not sure what the problem is here.Its either the cook not heating food to a high enough temp (Baked beans are always served luke warm)or its the waiting staff not bringing the food out quick enough.We have had lunches and dinners which have always been piping hot so why not the breaksfasts's as well?