“Bit of a let down”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Visited here a few weeks ago with my family having been coming here to eat on and off for the last few years. The restaurant was quiet for a Friday night but the waiting staff were quite slow still and it took a long time for us to get drinks. We ordered three courses and while the starters were lovely the mains were rather disappointing. My father had the fish pie on the specials board which was removed after he ordered it. When it arrived it was very small and mostly consisted of mashed potato and actually very little fish. My main of mango chicken was nice but nothing special so overall were we're quite disappointed. The pudding of waffles arrived and were huge, but the actual waffle was also disappointing as it was hard and appeared to be store bought? There are several other pubs local that do better food for similar prices so won't be returning again for a while.

1  Thank Alice W

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We have often dined here or spent the evening in the bar, and returned on Sunday for a family celebration meal for 4 adults, and 2 children. Nachos for one vegetarian, pasta for one boy, chicken nuggets for the other and these meals were fine. 3 adults had a roast and although the taste was there the meat, roasties, parsnips and Yorkshire puds had all obviously been cooked a while and left heating. We returned the potates once and the replacements were a little better, but the parsnips were just too tough to eat, the Yorkshire the same and all together the roast items were very disappointing. The veg were potentially fine but not enough for 3 adults. What we hoped to be a good meal ruined for us - and we HAD booked well in advance. Unfortunately other family members have had the same problem in the past with the roasts. So this Sunday - somewhere else........

Reviewed 23 August 2013

My partner and I popped in on the off-chance, faily late into Sunday lunch service. Although clearly very busy, the waitress, who was polite and friendly, quickly found us a table and took our order. I had the liver and bacon, from the main menu and my partner had local boiled bacon with bubble and squeak and poached eggs, from the specials. Our meals, which were served promptly, were both generous portions, freshly cooked and very tasty...so much so, neither of us could manage one of the very tempting puddings! The lone waitress continued to work swiftly and efficiently, throughout our visit and yet still managed to make us feel important and very well looked after ...Well done!

Reviewed 2 May 2013

You can always besure of a goo pub meal. Staff are always well turned out polite and well trained.Food is not fancy but always good and not exspencive. my favourite place to eat.

1  Thank andyshepp
Reviewed 22 February 2013

This is the 5th or 6th time my wife and I have eaten here and it gets better and better. The food and service are the finest we have encountered in the area. Steve and Nicky are wonderful hosts and the staff ate fantastic. Compliments to the Chef who I understand is new and their chef left a couple of weeks ago. No change however, in the standard of the food. We will be back.

1  Thank Mohawk1946