“80% Very good 20% Very bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Millstream

The Millstream
Ranked #8 of 80 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Devizes, United Kingdom
“80% Very good 20% Very bad”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Why is it my wife always gets the bad meal! It happened again here I am afraid. There were four of us going to celebrate with our daughter and he fiance so I hoped it would be good.
we all had three courses and it was very hit and miss. It was a Saturday and the restaurant was full. we booked early but got placed next to a very large and very busy table of 12 so I expect things were fraught in the kitchen. The starters were fine except for my wife's whitebait, which were swamped in batter, dry and looked like they came out of a freezer bag. The mains were all nice. Judith had a cheese souffle which was delicious however the salad she got with it was simply rocket on its own dropped in a pudding bowl. My pork was great as was the Rib eye steak, excellent meat from Devizes butchers. Their ice creams were very tasty and you pay by the scoop but then it was disaster time again for Judith. Her souffle was a liquid mess as they admitted when serving it. More a milkshake than a souffle. The meal with drinks and wine for four came to circa £130 so you would expect no mistakes.
Did we enjoy it? Well three of us did but felt sorry for the fourth. Would we go again? Yes because we would select a time less busy and we also like the bar and setting very much.

Pewsey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I ate there along with 12 friends and family for my dads birthday,The first coarse of Cray fish salad was fine and no complaints unfortunately it went down hill from there. The main of Lamb ribs was nearly cold by the time the vegetables arrived although it was irrelevant because they only consisted of fat anyway. The vegetables were ok but my wife and I only has one new potato each. For desert I opted for the Creme brulee which unfortunately hadn't set. All told I was very disappointed and wont be going back in a hurry

Llantrisant, United Kingdom
“Disappointing visit”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I have been to the Millstream lots of times in the evening and it has always been atmospheric, and friendly so as a birthday treat thought we would give it a try for lunch. Went on a Friday to find that we were the only people there. There were three of us and I ordered rack of lamb with crumb base, the lamb came but were just 3 lamb cutlets, not a rack and the crumb base was soggy. The cutlets had more fat on than meat but to be fair were really tasty. The vegetables that came with this also were soggy and overcooked. I mentioned to the waitress that the lamb had more fat than meat but was tasty who then said "sorry" but that was it. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone for lunch as it lacked the atmosphere of previous visits we had made in the evening, I felt that the quality of the meal didn't justify the cost and the service was very average considering we were the only people there.

Warminster
“An all round excellent evening”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We found the Millstream when looking for somewhere for a family meal for 10 people. We really wanted somewhere welcoming, comfortable, peaceful, with good beer, a broad menu that wasn't too long (!) and above all first class food. This may seem like quite a tall order but I have to say that the Millstream delivered all of these and more. The front of house staff were really friendly and accommodating, the atmosphere superb and the food was some of the nicest we have had. Cornish sourced fish is clearly a speciality and we can recommend the hake, the scallops, the prawns and the squid. The lamb was beautifully cooked and even the less adventurous who chose ham, egg and chips were not disappointed. Well done to the whole team, you really did make this a lovely, stress free evening.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank PritchardsWarminster
Ormskirk
“What a find!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Recently we had an evening meal with our daughter at the Millstream.where we were welcomed by Kate, who guided us through the menu and wine list.
Wonderful food and wine.... our compliments to the chef!
When next we visit to stay with our daughter we know with certainty, a warm welcome and an excellent meal will be had..

Well done to Kate and her staff and thank you.

• Visited October 2013