“Family meal ruined by swearing friend of waitress at the bar”
Review of The Bridge Inn

The Bridge Inn
Ranked #37 of 80 Restaurants in Devizes
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional English Inn situated alongside the historic Kennet and Avon Canal. A traditional Engish inn alongside the historic Kennet and Avon Canal
“Family meal ruined by swearing friend of waitress at the bar”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I took my family for an impromptu dinner so not expecting anything fancy which was maybe the only bonus of the night. We were seated by a friendly but rather dim waitress who took out order but had to be told how we wanted our steak cooked ( surely it's a standard question for a waitress to ask)
The food arrived quickly as we were the only people left in there so that's good I suppose . The food itself was ok, not quite a 17 quid steak but ok.
What really ruined it was the person sat at the bar using incredibly crude language while talking to said dim waitress. This is completely unacceptable when children are present and it forced us to eat our food and leave immediately . I will never go back there and strongly recommend that others don't .

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Fisherman1978

“A very very disappointing return experience.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We visited the bridge inn on Easter Sunday. We were all excited about going there as we have been there on two occasions before once with friends and once for a big family lunch with relatives. It was just when the couple had taken it over. We had a fantastic meal and found the couple to be very accommodating and had made our lunch a very enjoyable experience. However on this particular visit I could not believe how different it was. The landlady was extremely rude from the outset and made us all feel very uncomfortable when we were trying to order our drinks. We had children with us and a newborn baby so thought it was best to sit outside even though it was raining as we could see that they were busy inside and then as we ordered another drink we thought it was best to go in as it was pouring with rain and the pub had emptied out a little.We situated ourselves by the bar standing away from people eating and was abruptly spoken too by the landlady stating that we couldn't stand here, "how are customers meant to get to the carvery. " I was completely astounded by the way she had spoken to us and the extremely poor customer service that we had received. Enough was enough and we left straight away as it was so embarrassing to be spoken to like that especially in front of children. Furthermore I felt so let down and disappointed as I have sang their praises to my customers and friends in the past and was so looking forward to returning and had even travelled to visit the establishment on this particular day and had bought friends.
I understand from working in the industry myself in the past it can be very stressful when it is busy but there is no excuse for rudeness and making people feel very uncomfortable. I will not be visiting the bridge inn for lunch again and will not be recommending it either. On leaving the establishment I noticed that the board outside was advertising for a chef and experienced bar staff! It makes me wonder if the land lady speaks to her staff this way and hence they are no longer with her!!!

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Loopyp
Petersfield
“Somewhere to eat on a short break”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Ate at this pub whilst on a short break in Devizes 13/14 April. Fairly busy whilst we were there as the weather was good and the pub is situated along the Kennet & Avon canal. Staff friendly and service fairly quick taking into account this is a country pub and busy on a Sunday afternoon. The food is delicious (would absolutely recommend the fish pie), ample portions. So good we visited again the following day. If we were to stay in this area again would certainly aim to eat at The Bridge Inn.

• Visited April 2014
Calne, England, United Kingdom
“Celebrating Mother in Laws 90th year.”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

6 of us visited for a lunch to treat Mother in Law on her 90th birthday. Once again great service & VFM with 3 Hunters Chicken, 2 Fishcake and salads, 1 Paella . All came away expressing their gratitude and fullness. Can't wait for next reservation.

• Visited March 2014
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Good pub at great location.”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It really is a great location for a pub, they are desperately trying to do Carvery Sunday Lunches but the place isn't really big enough , the food is OK , the service was underwhelming ,basically not enough staff, Coffee before Dessert? 6X was good though . Lacks finesse.

• Visited March 2014