“Guilty pleasure!”

The Peppermill Restaurant with rooms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Peppermill Restaurant with rooms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 81 Restaurants in Devizes
Price range: US$8 - US$49
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A 2AA rosette award wining restaurant with rooms situated within the Market Place of the Town Centre. Offering a good selection of menus for breakfast, lunch & dinner 6 days a week. We also have a fantastic wine/cocktail bar with over 200 cocktails, 36 different Gins and over 80 different wines 18 by the glass.
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Have once again snuck into the peppermill for a cheeky peroni!! Can't get enough of the place! The food is fantastic and the atmosphere a real pleasure!
Would recommend the place to everyone!

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Such a lovely place to be!

A very warm welcome with a great atmosphere. If you appreciate the finer things in life, you will love it here.

The menu offers a unique twist on traditional, our table of 4 all ordered something different so we had the luxury to sample the others! All beautifully cooked and served.

The wine list was explained and I went with the suggested bottle of red. Malbec is now my new favourite!

Will definitely be recommending to all our friends and returning soon.

Do yourself a favour and give the Peppermill a try!

Jobe

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Went in the evening and were really looking forward to discovering another great place in Devizes - came away £100 down and very disappointed. We don't mind spending the money if the quality is there but...

For Two of us:

1 x Bottle of Wine - Very good. The only thing we can recommend here is the wine list.

1 x Starter - Can't remember what it was, only that it was not particularly interesting

1 x Steak - Tough and the sauce tasted as if it had come out of a packet

1 x Sea Bass - Bland and boring

1 x Cheese Board - Straight out of the fridge. If we had sensitive teeth the brie would have set them off

1 x Panna Cotta - Frozen in the middle. When sent back we were told that they were all frozen. At least this was taken off the bill

1 x Glass of Port - OK (but never had it served in a tumbler before)

Maybe it was a one-off but unfortunately we are not brave enough to risk giving it a second chance.

5  Thank DevLss
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

.........Having eaten here recently and ordered the Peppermill Burger, I learnt that if you want your burger fully cooked and hot, rather than pink to raw and lukewarm, say so when placing your order.

Being typically British in not wanting to make a fuss, I struggled through half of the pink, lukewarm burger I'd ordered before finally deciding that I really wasn't in the least bit happy to eat it.

When I attracted the attention of the person who'd served me and pointed out that the burger was undercooked, I was informed that was how the burgers are normally served. However, when I also pointed out that it was barely warm, the gentleman I was speaking to did offer to take the plate back to the kitchen.

A few minutes later the slighly mangled remaining half of my burger was returned to me fully cooked, piping hot and tasting far better. Just wish I'd said something as soon as I realised how uncooked and lukewarm it was, as at £9.50, it was a pretty expensive half edible burger.

The accompanying Aspall's cider was however lovely from start to finish.

1  Thank Penyrhos
Philip O, Owner at The Peppermill Restaurant with rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback today. No the burger should not be lukewarm and raw and we would have immediately remedied the matter had you said earlier. I remember the burger returning to the kitchen and indeed it was a bit pink. Some customers ask for the burger to be cooked like this as they do their steaks but obviously it is personal preference. As a result of your feedback we will ensure all our waiting staff in future ask how our customers would like their burgers cooked. We are very proud of our homemade burgers and they are one of the most popular dishes on our lunchtime menu. I do hope you return to the Peppermill soon.

Amanda O'Shea

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We have lunched in The Peppermill on a number of occasions, usually on Thursdays, market day in Devizes, and loved it for good, cheery service and good food at a reasonable price.

We were there, with friends, this Thursday, 10th March when unfortunately, it was very different. Perhaps they do better in the evening?

Our ladies' meals were considered OK but overpriced for what they had. As my friend remarked when his plate was collected, "the chips were like rock"! My burger, half balanced on a pad of tomatoes and salad greenery, was 'OK' but again, this was overcooked and dry. And my chips too were "like rock" We pointed this out to our waitress who muttered something about 'the chef' (behind a glass panel and within earshot of our remarks). Neither the chef nor the owner came over to apologise or to suggest removing the unsatisfactory items from the bill.

This was a great disappointment as we had enjoyed our previous visits to The Peppermill but we all feel in view of the 'couldn't care less' attitude, that we are unlikely to go again.

2  Thank Paul123Somerset_UK
Philip O, Owner at The Peppermill Restaurant with rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

I was so disappointed to read your review. We did indeed have a chip problem for about 10 minutes at lunch last Thursday! We pride ourselves at the Peppermill on our triple cooked chips and they are extremely popular, some say the best they have ever tasted. Unfortunately last Thursday our chefs were working very hard preparing for our South American tutored wine dinner that evening and one particular batch of chips that lunchtime was overlooked and overdone by a minute or two. I myself apologised to two customers and offered to replace them. I was unaware of your comments. We have very caring staff and we would certainly never have a 'couldn't care less' attitude and can only apologise to you. We do hope you come back to the Peppermill on market day. If you do please see Philip or I for some complimentary coffees as a gesture of goodwill.