“Uninspiring”

Ranked #2 of 81 Restaurants in Devizes
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Description: Award-winning Dinner Spot with industrial-chic decor & sidewalk seats serves authentic Mexican and South American Food. Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten-free friendly. Winner of the 2017 Good Food Award, Awarded 5 out of 5 by the Food Standards Agency. Awarded Gold by the Eat Out/Eat Well Awards. Please book for evenings as space in limited. (The kitchen closes at 9pm)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My experience at Cantina Maya was disappointing for various reasons. I find the place pretty depressing, no atmosphere, no welcoming genuine smiles and no nibbles on the table which is unheard of especially in a Mexican or South American Restaurant. My mojito was not good and tasted like one of those pre-mixed liquids out of a bottle with a few decorative slices and leaves thrown in. The food was pretty bland and despite the fact that I did not have the prawns, no discount was applied, which is very annoying because I am sure that if I had asked for something extra I would have been charged. £15 pounds for a main course does not justify the poor quality of the food nor the quantity. If Mexican or South American food is what you are after, go a few miles west and in Bath you will find something much more authentic.

Cantinamaya, Owner at Cantina Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I asked you both 3 times if everything was OK due to your angry faces and every time you both told me it was "good" and then you write this what must have been moments later or even while you were still in the restaurant. What a pity!

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Been here twice now and really like it. Good food and service in a vibrant, buzzy atmosphere. Something completely different for Devizes! Recommend booking though as it gets busy.

2  Thank Foodseeker123
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Only open Thursday to Saturday so booking recommended but you won't be disappointed. Starter was amazing and mains pretty good too, cocktails also offered. Lighting is a little on the low side which can make menus hard to read but a good little find.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Service great! Friendly and helpful. We had just arrived in Devizes and stumbled across this little gem. We’re vegetarian/vegan so finding interesting, varied food is not alway easy. Can recommend the Jackfruit Tacos and Haloumi & vegetable Enchiladas. As one reviewer comments the flavours are powerful and might be too much for some, but for our palates the meals were perfect!

2  Thank Sharon W
Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

I find some reviews odd, our meals, table of four, were just so either, mush and bland or a little over powered, or should that be powdered. I have enjoyed both central and south American food, infact I love it, this place is more adios than avant-garde. Not impressed, nice mojito though.

2  Thank Juan R
Cantinamaya, Owner at Cantina Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

I've asked you to provide specifics of your visit in order to help you and us to understand but you have refused to tell me when you visited or what you and your party ordered so it is difficult to comment.