“Very tired hotel.”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Devizes
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Very tired hotel.”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed here a few weeks ago and it was awful. Stayed in room 32 and it was very pokey. It had a raked ceiling so my husband had to stoop every time he got in and out of bed. The wallpaper was peeling off in places and the bathroom wasn't very clean. In fact, I've seen cleaner public toilets than the one we had! The bed was fairly comfy but that's the only positive thing I can say. Our room was at the front if the hotel and it was very noisy at night with kids in their cars skidding up and down the road and doing donuts in the car park opposite. We had dinner in Athens Bear Grills Bar - it was ok but nothing special. Breakfast was a disaster - when we arrived there was no where for us to sit. A table was quickly borrowed and put together but we had cutlery missing and when we were offered toast we were given 1 piece each. To be honest, we couldn't wait to leave. The car park was a joke too - really small with not enough spaces. Would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
JessicaHarrison, Manager at The Bear Hotel Market Place, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
I am very saddened to hear your thoughts of the Hotel, I can now only apologise for your stay. As I only have this review to reffer to I am unsure whether there were any other problems during your stay, should you wish to discuss them please contact me.
With a building over 500 years old, we do have rooms of all shapes and sizes, we have two attic rooms, room 30 & 32 which although are at the front of the Hotel do not have large windows or any special views due to the nature of their situation.
I have spoken to the Housekeeping team regarding the bathroom comments you made. Generally speaking they do a fantastic job here, but on this occassion they have let the Hotel down and inpacted on your stay.
In regards to breakfast I apologise there wasnt a table set for your arrival, but as I am sure you can appreciate most of our lesiure guests come down right before the end of breakfast which can cause delays in getting a table.
Again please accept my sincere apologies, I only wish you had mentioned it during your stay so we could have done something to redeem your expectations and satisfaction.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Reviewed 29 April 2014

For £175 a night, you get a room that has really bad DIY repairs in it, wallpaper coming off the walls, shower broke just generally run down. The service for breakfast was bloody awful served coffee with no cups or milk, porridge with no spoon, took all the cereal, milk, juices, jam, butter etc before anyone had finished, felt like you were being forced out the door, bloody rude!! You'd get far better service at a dog boarding kennels, PLEASE AVOID

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Mark Broad

Thankyou for your review, however after speaking to the members of staff on duty during your stay I was saddened to hear you did not discuss this with anyone during your stay or on Check out as we would of done everything within our power to forefill your expectations.

I have spoken to the Restaurant manager who has addressed the members of Breakfast staff that made you both feel so un-welcome. I can assure you that this is not the normal level of service that our guests recieve so please accept my apologies for your dissapointment.

With a building as old as ours there are often many maintence problems which I am sure you can understand.
The bedrooms are currently being touched up and the Wallpaper is one of the many areas that are being addressed.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact me at the Hotel.
Many Thanks

Petersfield
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Recently had a 2 night Groupon break at The Bear Hotel which is situated within walking distance of the Caen Hill Locks and the brewery. We also had Room 6 which we found quite dark and cold with no view. Room was clean, with clean bedding and lovely big bath sheets. Bathroom was clean and fairly large. No great problem with the strength of the shower or Wi-Fi - certainly adequate for a 2 night stay. Just had the continental breakfast which was pretty basic, no cold meats, cheeses or bread as one would usually expect with a continental breakfast, although there were croissants and small pastries, fresh fruit salad and a selection of cereals, also had toast with jam/marmalade/marmite. Waitress staff at breakfast were very pleasant and friendly. Fairly expensive to stay here if paying the hotel's usual rates, but having stayed on a Groupon voucher was certainly better value.

Dear DenG281

Many thanks for your review of Room 6 and the rest of your stay here at The Bear.

Firstly thankyou for your comments on Breakfast, as you stayed with a groupon voucher that included a continental breakfast it may interest you to know that all of our future and current offers include a full english breakfast so our guests can indulge on their breaks away from home. Please accept my apologies for the lack of selection during your visit.

As you are aware from your stay the Hotel is a very old building and one of the side effects from this is that all of the rooms are different shapes and sizes. Room 6 in its self looks over the back roof of the Hotel and therefore has no great view, however there are only 8 rooms that look over the market place. Next time you stay be sure to ask for a Market facing bedroom.

Please contact myself to arrange your return visit.

Many Thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a Groupon to stay for two nights. The room was large and had everything you'd expect (TV, bathroom, a view, double bed etc). It didn't have a mini fridge, but the bar was 10 feet away.

The morning buffet lacked variety and the additional menu you could pay extra for wasn't amazing but there's loads of nearby cafes.

See my other reviews for places to go near here.

Would highly recommend as a base to stay as it is very central.

The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is our room was on top of a nightclub which we could hear late into the evening. We went for a quiet time in the country and this did stop me from being straight to sleep.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thankyou for your review of The Bear Hotel.

Our last groupon offer did indeed only include a continental breakfast, but having comments other than yours regarding the selection available, our latest offers and all future offers will all include a full english breakfast.

I am glad you found your room lovely and hope to see you return to The Bear, please contact me personally to organise your return.

West Midlands
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed in room 28 WiFi was excellent and the room was peaceful. Lovely bathroom with his and hers sinks. Shower was good however we could not get any hot water the next morning. Bedding was clean and the towels fluffy and white. It was a special trip to stay at a place I have happy family memories of as a child. It made me feel close to my lovely daddy once again. I am so glad the decor remains tasteful. Breakfast was just about ok could have been more generous due to the competition just up the road at the Silk Mercer. All in all would stay again when down that way for work.

Room Tip: Room 28 good Wi-Fi access.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at The Bear and that you have all those fond family memories of not only the Hotel but Devizes as well.

I will pass your comments onto the Kitchen staff regarding Breakfast as we endeavour to meet and succeed all of our guest expectations.

Next time you are visiting the area, please ring the Hotel and ask for myself and I will go the extra mile to ensure your next stay is perfect.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Couldn't fault The Bear really following an overnight stay recently. Staff all pleasant, smallish room but very clean and well-equipped. Excellent bright, fresh bed linen.

Atmosphere good and the lounge quiet and comfortable. The only downsides were the breakfast which wasn't brilliant. Two unhappy looking poached eggs on Mother's Pride white sliced which was hardly singed let alone toasted. Croissants a bit leaden.

A bit expensive at £95.00 for one but I would stay here again. Devizes town itself which I have been passing through for the last 50+ years looked busy and prosperous. Well done.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
JessicaHarrison, Manager at The Bear Hotel Market Place, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thankyou Rodger for your sound review, I will pass your comments onto the Chef and the Breakfast team who I am sure will rectify the Breakfast problems you had. I am glad that over all you enjoyed your visit to The Bear and indeed Devizes. Next time you wish to stay remember to contact reception and let them know you are a repeat guest. See you next time.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Undoubtedly a once elegant hotel that is trying its best to compete in the modern age. Having stayed here a couple of times I have always found it to be pleasant. The rooms can vary and this last stay we had room 6 which is small, quiet with no views and overlooked by other rooms. Water pressure for shower poor and Wi-Fi only obtainable in one area. Having said that it was clean and comfortable.
Breakfasts are good. Outside seating area suffers from a mess of cigarette butts and the kitchen extractor fan.
Did not eat at the hotel during the evening but the bar area was busy and there are a number of events that the hotel is hosting.
The room prices are expensive and whilst standards are maintained can be justified - just.
Quaint with old-fashion service any criticism of the hotel needs to be tempered with its age and structure.

Room Tip: If you need it check Wi-Fi strength for the room.
Dear Russ W

Thankyou for your balanced review of The Hotel, as you say with an older building like ours it does take extended maintenance. The kitchen extractor has recently been services and has since been much quieter. We are also in the process of refurbishing throughout the building. We have recently completed the Bistro and are now awaiting new plant pot containers for the courtyard and our new extractor. The Bedrooms are also having some time spent in them to ensure our guests have the best possible stay. With the building changing over the years some rooms are different shapes and sizes, room 6, one of our doubles unfortunately does just look onto the roof of the building, however next time you stay be sure to ask reception for a Market Square View, as the rooms on the front all have large windows with secondary glazing, so you can make the most of the views. Thankyou again for your kind words, I hope to see you next time.