“Great food, Great Location in Family Run Hotel”
Review of The Black Swan

The Black Swan
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Devizes
“Great food, Great Location in Family Run Hotel”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Ignore negative reviews about this hotel, If not having a phone in your room or being able to connect to Wi-Fi is a problem why go away ???

Just returned from this wonderful old hotel maintaining its character with original oak beams, supports and exposed timber panels. Stayed for two nights on B.B & E.M on 1st night

Good Points
1. Private Stone cobbled Car park at rear of hotel easily accessed from New Park Street public car park.
2. Friendly welcome and check-in to the hotel
3. Spotlessly clean room with crisp white bedding and towels
4. Outstanding quality and taste of evening meal
5. Service with a smile and eagerness to ensure everything is OK
6. Breakfast as shown on hotels website again excellent quality and taste
7. Perfect location to visit Caen Hill Locks and moored barges (5 min walk)
8. Perfect location for Devizes Castle (3 min walk)
9. Wadworth Brewery tour (2 mins)
10. Avebury Stones (9 miles approx.)
11. Lacock village and Abbey (9 miles approx)

Bad points
1. Had to go home

Would recommend to all and look forward to returning in the future

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This is a great hotel, lovely staff ,great food , beautiful rooms , I really enjoyed my stay at the black swan . It is a great place for a family stay , I however did feel that it wasnt very lively at night, to say that it is 300 year old building it is very well looked after, I did have a feeling that there was somthing in the room with me.the chef also let me order food the day before.
If you are looking for a family hotel , which has great food and great staff then i would highly recommend them x

Room Tip: Dont pick room 4 as it is the spookiest room in britan
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Few friends and I came down for my 31st, to find out they had put me into room 4.
After my friends had showed me videos of The Black Swan online, I wasn't very happy that I was staying in one of the most hunted rooms in Britain.
But other the that it was a great stay, really lovely people and the place looked brilliant with all the flowers surrounding the building in this weather =D.
We had eaten at the black swan because it was included in our deal with the breakfast and evening meal Deal, and it must be said that the food was one of the nicest meals I've had for awhile, it's was busy and it seemed to be family run so that always nice to see places like that.
To finish off my review with a excellent breakfast in the morning.. I would give this hotel a 7-10. I'm just a hard person to please but the place was a Great stay... #thumbsup

Room Tip: For one of the most hunted room in Britain.. I didn't notice anything.. Gratefully I did have a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed end of November - car park difficult to find
Room was in a quiet location but very hot! Radiator was fitted behind a desk and turned full on - so heated up the desk very well! Bathroom radiator was turned off but soon warmed up in the morning when we realised it was not turned on .
Had problem on arrival - very strong smell of recent cigarette smoke in the bathroom ! - in a non smoking room - not a good welcome! No attempt had been made by the cleaning staff to remove the odour. - no windows in bathroom - switched on extractor fan and tried to open bedroom window- when we returned the extractor fan had switched itself off and the only solution from the management was a room spray which we declined. We did not have any towels in the room either - but these were supplied promptly after requesting them . The bed and bed linen was clean & very comfortable and warm no problem there and we had a good nights sleep with no disturbances at all. Breakfast was fine and freshly cooked.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This was the WORST place I have ever stayed in! We stayed in Nov and it was absolutely freezing in our room and the radiator in the tiny bathroom didn't come on at all! There was mould round the shower tiles and loose/missing tiles on the walls. Only 1 extra blanket in a twin room. Peeling wallpaper and exposed pipes. No telephone in room. Curtains didn't reach the windowsills so it let light and draught in. Very noisy at night. Car park was very hard to find. Door wouldn't lock and when I went to ask the Barman to show me he had a real attitude. Breakfast was mostly microwaved and was given burnt toast. Should not be called a hotel and is totally overpriced. Would not recommend to worst enemy!!

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank NicolaJaneBond

Travellers are raving about these Devizes hotels

Combe Martin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Avoid this place like the plague.......

Where do I start? Yes ok with a good point..... This hotel has it's own car park, thats a big plus point in Devizes, (thats where the good point ends......) sadly it's very small and difficult to find and access, if you drive anything large you may not want to park there.......I had to go into the hotel and ask where the car park was, the chap who 'greeted' me was a tad curt in his reply and also grunted that I couldnt check in yet as it wasnt 2 0'clock, fair point yes but it's the way these things are said right? hardly a good first impression.
Check in time came and the same guy was on the reception, surprised he didnt remember the conversation he'd had with me just an hour beforehand......
I had booked a DOUBLE room (for single occupancy) as i'm 6ft tall I like a double bed to stretch my legs across. On arriving at my given room (5) accessed by some steep narrow stairs to the second floor they'd given me a TWIN...??
The room was very very cold as the heating clearly hadnt been on and immediately there was a smell of damp, musty kind of smell. In both corners of the room there were clearly visible damp patches where paper was peeling etc and mould was growing on the walls.
OMG the EN-SUITE was putrid. Not only was it barely the size of a good shoe-box, the damp and mould in there was vile, properly disgusting. The window frame, walls, ceiling, shower surround and shower head all had mould growing on in or out of them.
I was knackered so I got my head down for a couple of hours on what was actually quite a comfy single bed before heading out to the event i'd come to town for, rolled in quietly at just gone 2am, a shame other guests werent as considerate with slamming of doors.
Got up in the morning surprisingly not fancying to use their shower, I headed down to breakfast. This was ok, but only just ok, decent bacon and mushrooms, sausages eggs and tomatoes were a bit 'dubious' and hey guys next time you microwave your baked beans please make sure you actually switch the microwave on yh as mine were almost cold......
I only met 2 members of staff, the guy from reception the day before and the lady serving breakfast, i'd describe both as almost unfriendly, abrupt and dressed casual bordering scruffy, certainly not creating a good front of house image for what could have been a nice place to stay.
The advertised Wi-Fi wasnt available, or at least neither of my devices could pick it up. In this day and age Wi-Fi surely must be provided............
Thats my whinge almost over, i'm sure i could think of more though.... Enjoy the pictures of mould and damp, I particularly recommend you look at the shower head....
I did not complain to the staff, i knew from their demeanour it would be pointless, however now i'm home i'll e-mail both the hotel and Wadworth brewery.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank HonestnTrue
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Met an old friend for lunch the other day. The welcome by the lovely young lady behind the bar was just right as was the steak and ale pie washed down with a couple of pints of 6X. There was a good atmosphere too. I'll be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devizes
The Castle Hotel
#2 of 4 in Calne
The Green Dragon
The Green Dragon
#1 of 1 in Market Lavington

Been to The Black Swan? Share your experiences!