“Great stay”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Devizes
leicester
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We bought a great deal from Wowcher and were worried after reading some of the reviews however we found the hotel to be very clean and great value for money. The food was excellent and the landlord and staff very friendly and helpful. We came here with friends (part of the group of 8 already reviewed by BarnesLeicester) and had a great time. And even though we were a little rowdy at times the landlord/staff did not bat an eyelid. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Room 6 - good size room with a comfortable bed - on the same floor at room 4!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had looked at previous reviews and was not sure what to expect- well my expectations certainly exceeded.

Great staff- not miserable at all, the landlord and staff couldn't do enough for us - we were a group of 8 friends enjoying a weekend away - so glad we went here

Food excellent- could not fault any of it

Rooms clean - enough for what we wanted and location great

Would all definitely go back again

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper then ask for back room as you could hear night time people coming out of pu...
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just returned from a fabulous stay at this hotel. Warm, friendly, delicious food and service. Free car parking which is a bonus these days". Such a lovely place to,visit, so near many places of interest. We went into Bath for the day on the local bus. Then in Devizes went on a lovely trip in a canal long boat. Loads to do and see. Thoroughly recommend this hotel. I'm going back!

Room Tip: We were in a twin bedded room which was quiet and faced the back of the hotel...Room 7. Beds are ext...
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Uncomfortable bed, stained bath which included hair from the previous guest. Sparodic wifi. Parking not easy to find. Some of the staff had inadequate customer service skills. No fruit for breakfast. I think this establishment has business because of the much publicised ghosts!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Stina13

Travellers are raving about these Devizes hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I arrived with my partner and 8 year old daughter on Friday. On arrival, i was shown to an empty reception, waited for a minute, checked in by a tired looking manager who could not be bothered, given my key and gave me directions to my room. In other hotels or inns, we are usually shown to our room but not here.
We had for dinner both nights on our stay which was lovely, we had 2 lovely ladies serving our table both nights, but the man who I assume was the manager served at the bar, he looked and acted miserable which was very off putting and made us feel unwelcome. When ordering dessert for my daughter, the menu stated clearly chocolate pudding, we were served toffee pudding, when I quizzed the old lady who served it she did not want to know, I told her the menu says chocolate but she said "no its toffee" even when looking at the menu it said chocolate!! I really do not understand where she was coming from!
As my daughter was coming last minute, I did not pre book her food so on a positive, she had her food discounted although she did have things that would have been eaten by me at breakfast time so we did not have to pay for that.
On our final morning which was a sunday, we came down to breakfast at 9:15. We were greeted by a very sour manager who appeared to just want us out. We paid for our cooked breakfast when booking but we were given the impression that if we asked for it, we would have been given it grudgingy as we were ignored and huffed at. I had a coffee, my daughter had a yohurt and my partner had a bowl of cereal.
The room was warm, if we were not out before 11 am, the room was not cleaned, we had no fresh towels and no tea coffee replaced in the room. My daughter had what looked like a dog bed in the corner so she slept in between myself and my partner.
I was too afraid to complain as the manager was intimidating and unapproachable. he would make a suitable Victorian undertaker though.
I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: No good points. The room we stayed in was warm. The people upstairs were noisy, staff seemed to slam...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank saritasaunders
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

My partner and i had the pleasure of eating at The black swan on 23/03/2014. The food was above and beyond what you would normally expect from a pub meal. Upon being served our choices myself the chicken balmoral my partner a Prime beef burger with chiili we were surprised and delighted at the very professional presentation of our meal. Then to the first mouthful, Wow it was a pleasure to the tastebuds, The chicken breasts stuffed with haggis and wrapped in the finest bacon i have tasted in a long while was still moist and succulent. I can honestly say that each and every mouthful was a pleasure to eat. My partners burger was equally as tasty and the balance of spices in the chilli was spot on, warming to the mouth without over powering and becoming just plain hot and spicy. Even the side salad was well thought out and packed full of flavour .
The service we received from the very friendly bar staff was warming and welcoming .We eat out often and have tried many restaurants including lots of chain establishments which are owned by many tv chefs and i can honestly say the food at the Black swan far out stripped anything we have had before. The Black swan was a delight to find and we shall be looking forward to our return visits.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Spent 3 nights here on business, found the room and bathroom spacious, very comfortable bed and spotlessly clean, free wi-fi and parking, good breakfast, friendly staff and a great location in the main square,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank stevebearsa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devizes
The Castle Hotel
#2 of 4 in Calne
The Green Dragon
The Green Dragon
#1 of 1 in Market Lavington

Been to The Black Swan? Share your experiences!