Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
RealFoodieGirl
Nottingham, United Kingdom

A lovely stay

Review of Whatley Manor
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 2 Mar 2024
A very special birthday stay was organised by my other half. An impressive sweeping driveway leads to a beautiful house. A warm welcome on arrival and shown to our room (number 9) The hotel had kindly left a card and a cupcake for my birthday.

The bedroom was lovely, traditional style, a nice big comfortable bed and good bedding. The lounge area was comfortable. The lounge and bedroom were cold on arrival but we soon worked out how the radiators work.

The bathroom was nice enough, nice Molton Brown toiletries. We had two towelling robes but no slippers which was a shame.

All in all a lovely room. The room was nice and quiet and we enjoyed using the lounge area. Everywhere was clean.

The breakfast in the main restaurant was really nice, a nice choice and vegetarians get their own menu which is a nice gesture. The avocado on toast was delicious.

The evening meal in the main restaurant was enjoyable. Again, a good vegetarian selection. Portions are small and beautifully presented, but surprisingly filling (although that might be due to the piles of sourdough bread and creamy butter that we ordered over and over again, delicious!). Service was efficient and friendly.

There was a private event, I think it was a wedding, taking place in the hotel. The guests of the wedding congregated for drinks and nibbles at the bottom of the staircase from our bedroom. We wanted to go to the spa in our bathrobes for the full spa experience but because of the wedding guests enjoying their champagne at the bottom of our staircase, we didnt think it was appropriate to walk through the wedding guests in our bathrobes so we had to go to the spa in our clothes and change there which was a shame.

Speaking of the spa, we had 3 lovely treatments. A full body massage and a facial and back massage combo. (I would like to mention our therapist's names on here as they were very good, but unfortunately they didnt introduce themselves with a name, they just got on with the treatment which thankfully was a really nice spa treatment).

With the 2 nights stay in a very nice room, a pricy dinner on just one evening, £16 gin and tonics, a £50 bottle of wine and a few treatments in the spa, our bill was hefty, as you would expect for a place like this. But THEN when we checked out, they had added a 10% service charge on the whole bill, even including the accommodation! That made it a £125 service charge which is ridiculous! We have NEVER had a service charge added to a hotel bill before to include a charge for staying in a room, and we have stayed in 5* star hotels all around the world. Surely the accomodation charge doesn't require a service charge? We understand that food, drinks and spa treatments would have a service charge, but the accommodation? That left a bitter taste in our mouth having had a nice stay.

We gave it a go for a special birthday and we will tick it off our list. All in all, a nice traditional hotel, pleasant staff, nice food, good spa treatments.
3.0 of 5 bubblesValue
4.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded 12 Mar 2024
Good evening,

Firstly May I thank you for your in depth positive review of your stay with us. We are glad you liked your little birthday treat, and enjoyed your bedroom, room 9 certainly is a smashing suite! We do pride ourselves on our service and efficiency so we are pleased to hear that this was recognised. It is great to hear that your spa experience, once you arrived there was good, I am just sorry that you felt that you had to go in your clothes rather than robes. You are always ore than welcome to come down in your robes in the public areas. Regarding the service charge, this has been something that we have done for many years now and I hope that you can understand that this is a completely discretionary charge, which can always be removed if requested. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

With warmest regards,

Oliver H (Hotel Operations Manager)
    1.6 miles from Whatley Manor
      £235
    • Official Site
    3.7 miles from Whatley Manor
    Double room at Keno Lodge
    Contact accommodation for availability.
    8.3 miles from Whatley Manor
    7.2 miles from Whatley Manor
    • eDreams
    • Vio.com
    • Lol.travel
    3.7 miles from Whatley Manor
    View more hotels in Easton Grey
    1,285 results
    All reviews tasting menu dining room afternoon tea the general manager michelin star worth every penny attention to detail stunning hotel dining experience before dinner superior room special treat relaxing break sandwiches service charge main restaurant from start to finish
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 29 February 2024

As you drive up the gates open and you are impressed before you get in the door. We were given amazing suite and it was our birthday and they were kind enough to give us champagne and a birthday cake with a candle. Everywhere was clean. The room we had a fridge, coffee machine and TV in sitting room and bedroom. Bathrobes and slippers.
    Beds were comfortable
    Had a safe too
    Then the spa is amazing
    We were showed around
    Lots of special touches in this hotel
    Massage I had was amazing
    The gym is great
    They don't try and sell you anything which is great.
    Dyson hair dryers in changing room
    We had a buffet dinner included and was amazed wine was included too.
    The staff were lovely
    I can't rate this hotel high enough
    I have been to several 5 star hotels but this one was great in every way.
    They clean your shoes
    Park your car
    Help you in any way they can
    I will definitely come back

Room tip: Take advantage of what they offer
    • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    Oliver Harris, Guest Services / Front Office at Whatley Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2024

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your fantastic descriptive review. We are so glad that you found the facilities impressive and glad that we were able to treat you to a little birthday treat. We look forward to welcoming you back to Whatley again soon.

Warm regards,

Oliver H (Hotel Operations Manager)

Reviewed 23 February 2024 via mobile

What a great hotel. Superb staff and that’s what makes a good hotel great. We had room 8.. a junior suite. Beautiful room. Walk in wardrobe huge bath and very comfy bed. I love that the hotel is focussed on sustai ability. We had lunch in the lounge both days.. this is a lovely relaxing room. Roaring log fire on cold wet day. Dinner in greys was excellent but the experience in the dining room was superb. spending time in the kitchen with Ricki and team really added to the experience. The whole team were superb.
    I had a great massage with Jess. Sadly didn’t get to walk around the grounds due to the English weather. We will have to go back!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Oliver Harris, Guest Services / Front Office at Whatley Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2024

Good afternoon and thank you for your heart-warming review of your stay! Room 8 is one of my personal favourites with all the orange colours! We are also glad to see that our sustainability efforts have been recognised and that dinner in both restaurants was positive for you both. We certainly look forward to welcoming you both back soon on a nice warm summers day when the gardens are blooming!

Warm regards, Oliver H (Hotel Operations Manager)

Reviewed 21 February 2024 via mobile

The food was good however when I pay £80 for a bottle of wine I do not expect to get up have to go around the table and pour myself the wine, same goes for the water, the restaurant was not busy - expected better customer service, especially as the service charge is automatically added

2  Thank robertson2459

Good afternoon and thank you for your constructive review. I am saddened to hear that on this occasion, our service levels have not lived up to your expectations. You should not have needed to pour your own wine, or water and I would like to sincerely apologise for this not being poured for you. If you would like to reach out to me on oliver@whatleymanor.com I would be more than happy to speak with you further and seek more details.

Warmest regards, Oliver (Hotel Operations Manager)

Reviewed 21 February 2024 via mobile

2nd time here. Very comfortable and relaxing stay. Food was amazing in the Dining room restaurant, and we also had an enjoyable meal in their other restaurant too!

Spa was not too busy and we managed to get space on both days. We will return again in the not too distant future!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Oliver Harris, Guest Services / Front Office at Whatley Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2024

Good evening,

Many thanks for your review and we are so glad that you decided to stay with us again! It is great to hear that you enjoyed both restaurants, we always try our hardest to create the perfect dining environment in every outlet here at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay soon!

Warmest regards, Oliver H (Hotel Operations Manager)

Reviewed 19 February 2024 via mobile

I bought a spa treatment, float pod, for a friend who wasn’t able to make it so I used it instead. The reason I chose this hotel was because I was looking for luxury but above all, cleanliness as both me and my friend are very sensitive to dirty spaces - especially careful when picking water related places. The hotel and the spa itself look lovely, the staff are also friendly and very welcoming however the filth inside that pod made it impossible to relax and I wish I hadn’t driven the 2 hour plus round trip from home. I was suppose to have 1 hour treatment, after I got in the pod and turned on the light, I gave it 5 mins and had to get out. The walls were slimey when bumping into them, there was a large build of of pink sludge in the ridge around the door, along with a solid rim of dirt/fake tan. To the back of the pod it was a black rim, suggesting mold. I was too scared to touch. When I arrive I was told it was VERY important to shower afterwards to get the salt off, there was NO hot water. I was already upset that the dirty pod had ruined my treat and so I couldn’t face a cold shower. As I was taken straight into the pod room and not into the changing rooms where there was a locker, I had no choice but to get dressed again and leave absolutely covered in thick salt deposits. When I was leaving, I told the person on the desk that when he asked if I was now nice and relaxed, I pointed out I was leaving 45 mins early, covered in salt because the shower wasn’t working. I was offered to shower off in their main area but as I was already dressed, ruined my clothes already and was now very uncomfortable having drying salt rubbing on my skin, I didn’t want to get clean and then have to put back on those same salt clothes. When I told them it was far from clean, I was told ‘that can’t be possible because they put in 3 loads of chemicals in a day’ well that may well be the case but you also have to physically get and and clean something for it to be effective, with a cloth, and take away the filth, not just bleach the filth so it’s can’t be seen but is still there.
    Very disappointing and I’m very glad that I ended up being the one who had to endure this experience as I would have been SOOOO embarrassed to have sent my friend there and them have to experience this. I couldn’t get the photos to show the black rim for what it was because of the lighting (and I also just wanted to get out really bad) - TRIED TO ATTACH PHOTOS BUT TRIP ADVISOR APP WONT ALLOW

Room tip: Very little - no signage when arrive to find reception and spa
    Trip type: Travelled solo
    1  Thank Jemma F
    Oliver Harris, Guest Services / Front Office at Whatley Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2024

Dear Jemma F,
    Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so sorry that your experience was not that which you hoped it would be. The Floatation Pod is generally very well received. With regards to the cleanliness of the facility, the water is automatically filtered and safely dosed with a sterilising, chemical after each use. The equipment is also sterilised manually by our team on a regular basis. Any residue that you may have noticed may be from limescale remover, or the deep cleansing detergents which is also used daily. The filtering and dosing system removes all other residues.
    The water is extremely dense with essential minerals and salt, the density enables floatation and buoyancy, and also has natural antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties. This very high concentration of salt can leave the inside surfaces of the pod feeling viscous to the touch. I am sorry if your experience left you with the impression that the flotation pod was not well maintained.
    We were remiss in not explaining to you how the shower is operated so that you would have been able to thoroughly remove the salt off your skin. You should have also been directed to the changing rooms before your treatment, we fell short in this aspect of our guest care for which we apologise.