“Some amazing courses. Service not quite there.”

The Dining Room at Whatley Manor
Price range: US$111 - US$143
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Some amazing courses. Service not quite there.”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A very good tasting menu and an interesting wine flight. Some courses were perfect (eg turbot) some were a little off eg texture of hazelnut with asparagus seemed to be praline ice cream. Weird.

What surprised us was service which seemed to be slightly random. Staff seemed a little under confident and there were a couple of occasions when we felt abandoned - especially when we tried it pay the bill.

The lounge is lovely. Dining room by comparison is a little sterile. All in all we'd consider nearby Lucknam park to be better value for a special evening.

• Visited June 2014
Whatley_Manor, Manager at The Dining Room at Whatley Manor, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Andrewjohnbond, Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to read that your experience fell short, mainly from a service point of view. This will be addressed with the restaurant team as you should not have felt abandoned at any time and I sincerely apologise for this. I hope to think you would consider returning one day so that we can improve and give you an experience to remember, for all the right reasons. Once again thank you for your feedback. Kind regards, Gurval Durand, general manager and the Whatley Manor team.

London, United Kingdom
“Well deserved 2 stars”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A magnificent experience and a fantastic end to a perfect break, thank you.

I bought my wife here to end a week of birthday celebrations and am glad we did. We have eaten at several starred restaurants and to date, this is the best. We ate from the tasting menu and savoured every morsel. The next time we visit - which we will. We will also book a room. Truly magnificent.

Thank you.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank David L
Whatley_Manor, Manager at The Dining Room at Whatley Manor, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Dmlt, We are very pleased to read your review on TripAdvisor and that you rate 'The Dining Room' as your best dining experience to date! We hope to see you return soon to enjoy the comfort of our rooms and relax in Spa Aquarias. Kind regards Gurval Durand, general manager and the Whatley Manor team
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“An amazing night out”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The service is exceptional from the moment you walk in the door, through to the final (and feels like never ending!) plate of food! We treated ourselves to the taster menu and couldn't fault it from start until finish. The Dining Room offers a wonderful wine menu and flawless service and food throughout

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank 87SD87
Whatley_Manor, Manager at The Dining Room at Whatley Manor, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear 87SD87, Thank you for feedback on TripAdvisor. The team are pleased to read that they delivered on all accounts. We hope to see you return soon. Kind regards Gurval Durand and the Whatley Manor team.
Wiltshire, UK
“Utterly spectacular....!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I have to hold up a hand here and confess that we are locals, we eat here a LOT and love it to pieces! So this is NOT going to be an unbiased review...!

However... We wouldn't keep coming back month after month and year after year if this place was not absolutely, utterly spectacular!

That it's a beautiful building surrounded by gorgeous gardens is only a bonus. From the moment that you step inside you are cosseted and pampered. Pre-dinner drinks are taken in the baronial-hall-style drawing room (with a fireplace you could roast a bison in) and are accompanied by a selection of the most delicious amuse-bouches. The foie gras moussey thing is worth the trip alone!

The dining room is actually three rooms in one, with a big area bisected by a pillar and a smaller, more (for us) intimate space with a view of a walled garden in summer. But all the areas are comfortable and there are no "bad" tables (where the staff and other customers are constantly walking behind you, for example. That always annoys the heck out of me...)

The food is amazing. Astonishing. Every mouthful. The boy's a genius. If I could give it TEN stars, I would. He likes his little savoury ice creams and seems very fond of eel and hazelnuts. It's absolutely scrumptious!

There's a dessert that isn't really a dessert: but it's the best thing I have ever eaten in my life. Ever. And we eat out a LOT! It is creamed Roquefort with poached pears and truffle ice cream. Just typing it makes me want to have a plateful in front of me right NOW! That truffle ice cream is honestly the best thing I have ever tasted in all my born days. The first time I had it, I asked if I could have some more. The waitress brought me a bowlful. I was tempted to propose marriage to the chef immediately (but my husband was less keen...)

It is hog-whimperingly, eye-wateringly expensive and worth every darn penny! Go. Save up for a birthday or an anniversary and GO.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Caroline1651
Whatley_Manor, Manager at The Dining Room at Whatley Manor, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Caroline1651,
We are so touched by your kind words and great review. Thank you very much from everyone here at Whatley Manor. We hope to see you return soon. Kind regards Gurval Durand, general manager and the Whatley Manor team.
Oxford
“Very Good without the Wow factor”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Went for the tasting menu with wine flight and the food was very good, with some courses better than others.

Service was great, no complaints at all.

And here lies the problem - although I can't really fault anything, there wasn't enough to make it amazing.

My favourites were the scallops and the venison, try it though as you will enjoy it.

• Visited April 2014
Whatley_Manor, Manager at The Dining Room at Whatley Manor, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Oxford_Member,
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We were pleased to read that you recommended trying the scallops and the venison. I have noted the point that you raised regarding the missing 'Wow' factor. Thank you. Kind regards Gurval Durand and the Whatley Manor team.