“English hospitality”

The Bolingbroke Arms
The Bolingbroke Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hook B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the Bolingbroke Arms. e arrived at 11.30 p.m. after the bar closed, but they happily served beer and made sandwiches with granary bread. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was clean, though the furniture was a little the worse for wear and the shower rather small. The windows were locked so the only way to get fresh air was to open the door to the garden terrace. Food in the restaurant was excellent. This is a real English pub in a quiet country area - a taste of English hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Bolingbroke Arms

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked a night here as a half way stop on a long drive and was very pleased we did. The manager that evening, Alex, i believe his name is, was very welcoming and helpful. Room was clean and spacious and had a nice view of the countryside from the window (room 7).
Restaurant was very busy, which is always a good sign, so we decided to eat there for the evening. Everything on the menu and the specials board looked very tempting and reasonably priced. As it was busy, we decided to wait until a little later in the evening to order and our food arrived in a reasonable time and was delicious.
Staff were very friendly and helpful and it was nice to stay in a place with a bit of atmosphere rather than your bog standard premier inn.
We could hear a little bit of noise in the room from the remaining tables in the restaurant but that died down at around 10.30pm. The only other little niggly things were that there was no wi-fi in the room and also no iron available but this didn't really spoil the stay for us and we would definitely come back if ever in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Chose the Bolingbroke Arms for lunch after a recommendation from a friend. Was not disappointed and consider it a great alternative to some of the poor establishments in Swindon and worth the 10 minute drive from Old Town where I work.

We had a table reserved for us which was just off from the bar - it's not a massive restaurant area around the bar but I believe there is a larger restaurant towards the rear of the building. Good selection of beers and soft drinks - all reasonably priced.

Really good extensive lunch menu which has a mix of pub favourites and specials. I went for the fish and chips. The cod was In a lovely thick and crispy beer batter - perfect. Really good portion of chips came with it and a nice side salad.

Didn't have a dessert - £6.50 each seemed steep. I did see another diner have the cheesecake and it did look good however. Next time I visit I will give one a try.

Well worth a visit if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have always loved the food at the Bolingbroke and on Friday night it was great. Nothing to complain about. The service however, was not great. There did not seem to be any management around, just a group of young girls that weren't communicating. It took 25 mins for someone to come and take our order. Our drinks were brought to the table twice! At the end of our meal, after calling to someone to get our bill, we were told that our bill had been lost. It took 15 mins to find it! Such a shame as the food was great but the service really let the whole evening down.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Chose the Bolingbroke Arms as a place to meet my brother and his g/f for Sunday lunch. It is 5 minutes from the M4 which is good when we were both traveling from opposite ends. We chose the bar over the restaurant. It was not noisy and there was plenty of room between the tables. Good choice of food on the menu. I chose the Lamb which was superb and cooked to perfection. The service from the waitresses was first class. No eyebrows were raised when we asked for extra extra gravy and the 4 spoons for the one dessert were delivered with a smile. Overall the food and the service was excellent and I would return there again. I cannot justify travelling from London just to eat at the Bolingbroke but I am am glad I did and whenever we meet up with family from Wales again, The Bolingbroke will be the chosen eatery. Thanks again for the excllent service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Quiet rural location handy for Swindon.
Room clean, a good size and bed comfortable but lacking in attention to detail or the finishing touches that might be expected in a Hotel in that price bracket. Shaving light in bathroom had no visible switches anywhere so was presumably linked to bathroom light but didn't light or provide power for a shaver. No Wi-fi provided, or if it was no-one mentioned the fact. I would rate this a pub with rooms rather than a Hotel. No reception area except the bar in and in the morning when I left (having opted on arrival not to have breakfast) there was nobody at the bar and no bell I could see to attract attention or report shaver light.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I took some other friends here after a first great experience and I raved about it in a previous review. Even though I ordered the same meal I was thoroughly disappointed, the meal was below par. I thought the main chef may have been on leave. For me to return the quality must be maintained.I will give this place a rest and try it again later.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
Marsh Farm Hotel
#17 of 25 in Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#8 of 25 in Swindon

Been to The Bolingbroke Arms? Share your experiences!