“Lovely place”

The Bolingbroke Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hook B&B and Inns
“Lovely place”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I had to visit hook for work,I'm so happy that I found the Bolingbrook arms.
It's a lovely place I had room 3 a large room with a double bed perfect ,just like home
Great TV a plus,The normal tea and coffee,bottles of water.
Each day I returned to my room to find the bed made and towels replaced.
The Shower,sink,Wc all clean and tidy.
Shower gel/shampoo,soap all provided.
Breakfast cooked (always) just what you need to start the day.
Evening meal,a good choice of food at a fantastic standard and fairly priced I enjoyed every mouthful Thank you (well done chef )
I would highly recommend the Bolingbrook arms to all.
Thank you all for a very Pleasent stay hope to see you soon x

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stay here alot id recommend it to anyone.
Staff are friendly and very helpful with whatever you need.
Food is great and the rooms are just as good.
For the price you pay here ( not alot at all for the area) you get alot more for your money than other establishments in swindon.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Mattsaville
England
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Lovely evening out and a super meal. Service was efficient and friendly and the food arrived quickly once ordered. Freshly cooked and the chips were the best we have eaten anywhere. Staff were very pleasant and always to hand.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Staying in the area and booked this based on reviews. Very disappointed. Not welcoming, slow service and mediocre food. New potatoes need butter! Only had a mains as we couldn't face the wait for dessert.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I came here as part of a party of 12 on a Wednesday night. There were two other big parties in & several other smaller tables. Service was friendly & the food arrived quite quickly. I had grilled chicken with chips and salad. The chicken was cooked well, but not dry & the chips were lovely & crispy. All of the meals arrived together and were all still piping hot. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We didn't try the puddings as the staff were kind enough to let us bring a birthday cake in & gave us a knife & plates so we could share it out with our coffees. A great night with good food & service at just the right pace. We'll be back for the next birthday!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicola R
UK
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Plus
friendly can-do attitude of staff, really nice people
semi-wild kid friendly grounds, space to run around
the weather was great as it happened!

Minus
sign was broken so didn’t immediately spot it. Satnav then directed us an 8 km scenic detour. Apparently it’s not unusual - so why not just put a map on the websites?
Tried to call SEVERAL times while looking for it - no answer.
My dinner was awful. Nobody asked me how it was - I would have told them. Dessert (bread & butter pudding laced with amaretto i think) was passable though overpriced at £6.50, but nice compared to the £11.50 main of “Vegetable curry & rice with mango chutney & poppadum”. Fortunately for me, grandson didn’t want all his chips so I could satisfy my hunger.
So let me tell you what was lousy about this dish.
the primary flavour was turmeric. Anyone who cooks Indian food knows that this is verboten. Figure it out.
you don’t leave gooseberry sized pieces of ginger in a curry. I eagerly bit into it, thinking it might be bamboo shoot (silly, optimistic me) or water chestnut.
salad in a poppadum basket? The papadam is supposed to stay dry & crunchy, not take on salad leakings.
salad was gritty. A raita would have been better, given the spiciness (turmeric & chilli, no depth of flavour) of the curry.
you don’t make a curry with sliced onion & capsicum as the main players. Where were carrots, potatoes, peas, beans, mushrooms, chick peas, aubergines - anything to lift it & make it a ‘real’ veg curry? Never mind drumstick or karela (bitter gourd) or pumpkin - but a decent, basic veg curry, for goodness’ sake. You don’t leave the onions ‘recognisable’ - the basis of a good curry is to sweat the onions/garlic/ginger/green chillies down to a mushy blend. It was a bit of an unhappy marriage between a mediterranean oven bake & an ill informed curry.
Breakfast probably would have been a happier food experience, but I'd had enough & my young friend wanted a Mc D’s so off we went, & saved a fiver.

The manager did not read/see my comments written on the 3rd party website at time of booking. She was most helpful & kind though, and made up our bed as requested.

We didn’t like the fixed shower. Not easy showering someone who is 140 cm with a fixed shower of about 300 cm.

Interesting experience but I wouldn’t stay there again. Pub accom does tend to be hit & miss & this is more of a miss, unless one is going there just for a nice meal (not veg curry!!) in a nice atmosphere. It was very busy indeed, so business is obviously good. More reason to pay attention to a little more detail, then.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hampshire
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Lovely hotel in the Wiltshire countryside where we stayed for one night. Friends in the area recommended the place.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay. From the moment we arrived I had a positive feeling, it looked nice, and the proprieter and staff were really helpful and friendly. The room was a good size, immaculately clean and even had a comfy couch in front of the new flat screen tv where we were able to watch the World Cup. We would have preferred a slightly larger bed (we had a standard double) but there was plenty of closet and drawer space.

Outside the bar was a pretty terrace with hanging flower baskets and honeysuckle. If we'd had
more time it would have been a nice place for drinks or lunch.

We had also booked for the evening meal which was superb, both my husband and I enjoyed our choices and the quality of the food was excellent. I have a garlic intolerance but this was no problem for the chef and I was able to have my first choices prepared sans garlic. Breakfast was also of good quality.

We would certainly recommend this lovely country hotel and would love to stay again.

Room Tip: Room 3 was spacious and quiet