“Would recommend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hook
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Would recommend”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very warm welcome. Hotel with character, old building so don't expect perfection. Room clean, comfortable and quiet. No plaster board walls so not disturbed by other guests. The food was excellent. Don't expect fast food because everything is freshly prepared and we'll worth waiting for. Portion sizes good both starters and mains never had room for dessert)
Having read some of the bad reviews for this hotel I find it hard to believe it's the same place run by the same couple completely different to my experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We visited this hotel several years ago (2011) and I still think back fondly on it. The owners were amazing people who were very helpful. The food was AMAZING and very fresh! The facility was so nice. The only thing that I had issues with was the toilet but then again I was having issues with all the toilets in England.
I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone who would be in the Swindon area!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed one night because our friends gold wedding we paid up front for B/B charged us £70 .The buffet was not up to standard as we for like the drinks were very DEAR . The room was damp . At breakfast we give a menu which had prices on it I ask the lady if breakfast was include in the prices we had paid she said it was so we order a full English it was not the best food and not cooked very well . no tea making facilities in the room and tea making machine on landing was not working . When we got home we found out our friends had been kicked out of hotel they call the police because a lady had been pick up bodily and thrown out the hotel by the landlord . We had a e-mail invoice for £93 I challenge him and got no reply . They have taking £23 out my bank account We will not be staying there again at the School House Hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Michael P

Travellers are raving about these Hook hotels

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I booked for a table of 12 in the restaurant for my fathers' 80th birthday and all 12 of us were not happy with the service or the food. It took them 45 minutes to serve the starters, the main course came fairly quickly afterwards, however the dessert was another 45 minute wait. The soup was like dishwater, the deep fried brie was overcooked and the pate was far too sweet! The majority of us had the pork schnitzel, including myself and everyone said that it was fatty and overcooked. The whole evening (food, service and the attitude of the staff) was way below average and very amateurish. I did complain and was told that the manger was too busy to see me (there were 18 people in the restaurant including our table of 12 - that should speak volumes for a Saturday night!) I spoke with Karen and she really could not understand why there was a problem even though there was an awful lot of food being thrown away from our table. She was not apologetic in any way, shape or form and begrudgingly gave us a small discount. I had organised the evening and was embarrassed and disappointed listening to all the negative comments from our table about the food and service, however Karen did not appear to be interested in anything I had to say. Her attitude was awful, as was the food and service and the management did not apologise to any of us. Our experience at the School House restaurant was TERRIBLE!!

• Stayed March 2014
9 Thank Susi103
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the family room in November with 2 of my daughters. Lovely looking building and our greeting was first class. The owners were lovely friendly people and made us feel very welcome. The room itself was very nice. Comfy, warm, cosy and very clean. Didnt have breakfast (that was extra). Only slight criticism, was the lack of a kettle. If you wanted a drink, you had to use the machine by the front door. All in all a very pleasant atmosphere and experience. Cricklade house hotel, could learn some valuable customer skills from these people.

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Had booked a table for the evening meal and took a suit case on the off chance there were any available rooms. Fortunately there were . Received a very friendly welcome, was shown to our room , which can only be described as utterly charming . The room was in a classic style, with beautiful furniture . The bathroom was spotless with lovely toiletries in it. The bedding was also spotless and crisp .
The food was excellent and freshly prepared . A very good choice of vegetarian dishes were also on offer.
The hosts of the hotel could not have done more to make our stay any better than it was .
I have re booked to stay again this month.
A charming hotel, excellent value for money .

Looking forward to my next stay

Lisa Jane

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank LadylLisaJane
Kempsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and myself visited the School House first in September and are constantly drawn back to its excellent food and unhurried personal service we booked a table for New Year's Eve and packed an overnight bag just in case, ( I'm glad we did ) we asked if they had a room spare so we both could have a drink. The rooms are very clean and just perfect for couples, ( I believe the family rooms are very spacious) warm beds and a very good bathroom.
The food here is to die for!!
it's the biggest draw for us and it is extremely fresh, seasonal and never the same ! The staff ( owners ) are fabulous hosts with nothing too much trouble.
So much so we have booked again for valentines weekend as it's just right for us!
9.9/10
Freddy is a must to meet !!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
Marsh Farm Hotel
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#8 of 25 in Swindon
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon

Been to The Schoolhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!