“Feel at home, like 20 years ago”

The Schoolhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hook
Barcelona, Spain
“Feel at home, like 20 years ago”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I immediately felt at home when the host approached me. She was engaging, friendly and very helpful. A nice meal and a local ale was all I needed at the moment.
When going up to my room it even smelled as if I was home again (but with good WiFi connection). All really in old style but clean and although the hotel was full, I had a very quiet night rest, which was necessary as well.
Breakfast was typical English and big!
Beautiful location and engaging hosts. really felt at home!

1 Thank Roel D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Totnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I've been staying here for 18 months when on business, and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Swindon. The place has charm and character, and Karen is a welcoming and kind-hearted hostess. I'm posting another review because the menus have gradually improved and I want to recommend the great food! Three friends came to visit me while I was staying and Karen brought us drinks outside as people arrived, made everyone welcome. We found it a helpful touch that the menu is colour-coded for vegetarian, fish or meat. We all really enjoyed our (great value) three course meals, and are planning on making this a regular date! There have been some mixed reviews, but I have always been treated well and found staff very helpful. I can well imagine that the proprietors don't tolerate rudeness or poor behaviour, although I have never witnessed such an event.This is a small, family-run hotel, so don't expect the instant service you might get with a big chain.They do things their way, and you like it or you don't. I do, and so did my friends! The rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean, with lovely old furniture, and all unique (I have stayed in most of them!) Occasionally there is a 'glitch' in one of the rooms but what you would expect, particularly in an old building. For breakfast you can choose from luxurious options, a full breakfast, (veggie available) or a light option, depending on appetite/budget.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, and have nice country views.
1 Thank westcountrywalker
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The School House hotel looks impressive, but is really poorly maintained. The rooms were adequate but,smelt a bit musty. The meals in the dining room were very expensive for very ordinary food as was the wine and the breakfast, for £11.00 per person and was never entertained!The bar was quaint but,smelt of stale tobacco and on our last morning there was no hot water for showers. When this mentioned to the proprietress she was not all interested and offered no compensation!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Schniggie
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very warm welcome. Hotel with character, old building so don't expect perfection. Room clean, comfortable and quiet. No plaster board walls so not disturbed by other guests. The food was excellent. Don't expect fast food because everything is freshly prepared and we'll worth waiting for. Portion sizes good both starters and mains never had room for dessert)
Having read some of the bad reviews for this hotel I find it hard to believe it's the same place run by the same couple completely different to my experience.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We visited this hotel several years ago (2011) and I still think back fondly on it. The owners were amazing people who were very helpful. The food was AMAZING and very fresh! The facility was so nice. The only thing that I had issues with was the toilet but then again I was having issues with all the toilets in England.
I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone who would be in the Swindon area!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed one night because our friends gold wedding we paid up front for B/B charged us £70 .The buffet was not up to standard as we for like the drinks were very DEAR . The room was damp . At breakfast we give a menu which had prices on it I ask the lady if breakfast was include in the prices we had paid she said it was so we order a full English it was not the best food and not cooked very well . no tea making facilities in the room and tea making machine on landing was not working . When we got home we found out our friends had been kicked out of hotel they call the police because a lady had been pick up bodily and thrown out the hotel by the landlord . We had a e-mail invoice for £93 I challenge him and got no reply . They have taking £23 out my bank account We will not be staying there again at the School House Hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Michael P

Travellers are raving about these Hook hotels

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I booked for a table of 12 in the restaurant for my fathers' 80th birthday and all 12 of us were not happy with the service or the food. It took them 45 minutes to serve the starters, the main course came fairly quickly afterwards, however the dessert was another 45 minute wait. The soup was like dishwater, the deep fried brie was overcooked and the pate was far too sweet! The majority of us had the pork schnitzel, including myself and everyone said that it was fatty and overcooked. The whole evening (food, service and the attitude of the staff) was way below average and very amateurish. I did complain and was told that the manger was too busy to see me (there were 18 people in the restaurant including our table of 12 - that should speak volumes for a Saturday night!) I spoke with Karen and she really could not understand why there was a problem even though there was an awful lot of food being thrown away from our table. She was not apologetic in any way, shape or form and begrudgingly gave us a small discount. I had organised the evening and was embarrassed and disappointed listening to all the negative comments from our table about the food and service, however Karen did not appear to be interested in anything I had to say. Her attitude was awful, as was the food and service and the management did not apologise to any of us. Our experience at the School House restaurant was TERRIBLE!!

• Stayed March 2014
9 Thank Susi103
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
Marsh Farm Hotel
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#8 of 25 in Swindon
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon

Been to The Schoolhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!