“Birthday surprise”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malmesbury
London
“Birthday surprise”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have just returned from the most spectacular two day stay at Whatley Manor. My partner booked a surprise for my fiftieth birthday and I cannot rate the hotel highly enough. The service was attentive, the bed was soooooo comfortable and the food in the Dining room was very special. The spa helped to relax myself and my partner to the point that we could barely move!
I long to return and make use of the private cinema and explore the gardens fully in better weather. I shall hint heavily for my next big birthday.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Whatley_Manor, Whatley Manor Admin at Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear SLIMT,
What a wonderful way to celebrate. Thank you for taking the time to write about your magical stay and special dinner. Great to hear how much you enjoyed relaxing in Aquarias Spa too. We hope to welcome you and your husband again soon. Kind regards, Gurval Durand and the team at Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
swindon
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Went couple months ago and been several times before for different occassions. Another nice meal. The staff are professional and make you feel welcome. Definitely be returning. Lovely location and the spa is really nice too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucy s
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

What more can I say about this hotel . . . From the moment we arrived we were treated with such care and hospitality. We came for my wife's birthday with two other couples who are our closest friends. They too expressed how much they loved the experience. The girls had Spa treatments during the afternoon which were by all accounts blissful.
In the evening after our pre-meal champagne in front of the roaring log fire we all sat down for the wonderful degustation menu with the wine flight which was also marvelous
If only all hotels could be like this: truly magical and highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Surrey
Reviewed 15 January 2014

All I can say is: excellent food, excellent service, excellent room, excellent facilities. This certainly rates as one of our best weekends away. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was very well organised. We ate in The Dining Room the first night and Le Mazot the second. Both were good but the fine dining experience really stood out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I just stayed at the hotel. The service was very good,and the General Manager himself very helpful. I hesitated to write this because of that. BUT, having stayed over the years at 50+ Relais et Chateau this rates in the middle. I had a huge room that was depressingly decorated with a small bathroom cheaply done. I think all the rooms need to be made nicer and redecorated. The lounges are the usual Manor house style could not understand why Cosmopolitan was magazine of choice scattered around as opposed to Country Life etc

THE RESTAURANTS. Here is where I was very disappointed. The Chef cooks as if a Michelin critic was going to arrive any day. The food was creative to the point where it was silly From start to finish mediocre Having eaten in hundreds of two and three star restaurants I was almost shocked It was a Sat night and only 5 tables filled. The next night I ate in their second restaurant which I did not understand was decorated as a Swiss Chalet. I gather they did not want a warm and cosy Cotswold dining room I thought the food would be simpler and country. But not so, same Chef making what he thought was simple, but still managing to foam it up The foam has been done 15 years ago starting in Barcelona and silly here
I was only person in dining room

I believe a different chef and some newly designed bedrooms and Whatley would be lovely as the area was gorgeous. Also if you want Spa go to Chewten Glen

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Summ111
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We have visited here a couple of times and it REALLY is a great place for an intimate stay. Hotels can slip over time – not this one. And the food – of the best in the world! I still have reservations about the strange Swiss chalet bistro and I recommend the fine dining alterative every time. I also think, for what you get, it is good value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have stayed in the hotel more times than we can remember and every single time it was a perfect holiday. The food is simply sensational - both in the dining room - the two Michelin star restaurant and brasserie. The attention to detail in every aspect of this hotel is truly remarkable. The Spa is altogether an experience worthwhile to come for. The staff are friendly, helpful and professional in their duties. We highly recommend Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa to anyone - everything about it is perfect!

Room Tip: All rooms have fabulous decor and very comfortable.