“Good Stay.”
Review of The Old Bell Hotel

The Old Bell Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Malmesbury
Reviewed 2 October 2013

They say that this is the oldest hotel in England from 1220. for 100 pound a room for 2 with full breakfast, you can enjoy the history. for extra you get very comfi and quiet room. next to Malmesbury Abby gardens.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chaim B

Reviewed 25 September 2013

By chance we came across this haven next to Malmesbury Abbey,stopped for a drink but stayed for lunch as the staff were so welcoming(and the food looked good!).The menu was excellent,such as broccoli soup with a soft boiled hens egg,tagine,and perfectly cooked halibut but all so light and tasty.There were the staples(venison pie and "fish&chips)but not heavy.We were very impressed.If in Malmesbury,it is worth going,or even as a standalone destination.

Room Tip: We were not residents
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JNDawson
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here on business for 4 nights. Booked here because there are no chain hotels nearby. My room was in the old building and didn't have a number it had a name (in this case George Garlick).

The room itself was nice enough with a good size bed which was very comfortable. A nice decorative touch was the provision of teddy bear on the bed. The bathroom was clean but the bath tap leaked and the bathroom door didn't close properly. Toiletries were provided. WiFi worked fine in the room although I did hear another guest complain that it was too slow.
I found that road noise was an issue in my room this is due to having a roadside location, (the new block is set back from the road and may be quieter). My guess is that the hotel isn't allowed to put in double glazing due to its historical status and local planning laws.

Parking was ok and free. I managed to park pretty much by the rear doors most evenings. Getting out on the main road is not the easiest as the exit to the main road is narrow and has very limited visibility. If you have a car with a long bonnet you will need to be confident driver to negotiate this.

As I was on a per diem I didn't eat in the restaurant so I'll leave that to others to describe. Breakfast was ok with cereals, fruit and pastries provided. The breakfast service starts at 730 which is a bit late for business travellers used to early starts but ok for leisure travellers.

The bar was ok and the beer reasonably priced but the spirits were expensive (although I think served in larger measures).

The hotel lacks a gym and pool but they don't have the space to put these features in and if it was important to you then you wouldn't book here.

The only let down was check out. The receptionist had disappeared had despite me ringing the bell on the desk several times no one appeared to help me. Eventually the receptionist reappeared (over 5 minutes later) having been getting her breakfast in the kitchen.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Des_Gruntled
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We've been a few times, and stayed in both a suite in the old building, and in a double room in the new building. It has to be said that for atmosphere and space the old beat the new hands down,, but then the old room cost significantly more.

It's the food that makes the Old Bell special, it is absolutely fabulous, with a menu that has the mouth watering. Service was excellent, the only, ever so minor gripe, is that one has to ask for brown sugar with coffee!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Goldcat1
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The town of Malmesbury claims to be the oldest borough in England and has many buildings including the Abbey which is directly next to The Old Bell hotel which is proof enough to authenticate that claim. I stayed at the hotel on the evening of the local Carnival and so the atmosphere was absolutely wonderful. The hotel itself was full of charm, the staff very attentive and the food was of a very high standard. The receptionist showed me to my room which was a really nice touch. My room was in the old coach house and had a country feel to it..Good quality furnishings. The ensuite was a little on the small side but served its purpose with complimentary toiletries. Excellent breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria H
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The ground floor of the hotel is very atmospheric, small comfortablen sitting rooms in which to linger after dinner. We booked a standard room in the main house, £125, having been promised a character room on the website. The room had character - we had stepped straight into Downton Abbey - the servant's bedroom in the attic! The furniture was basic, the bath did not empty when we had a shower, there was a lot of traffic noise and the room was lit as light as day all night by the hotel's floodlighting. One of the light bulbs was out but no- one was concerned when we reported it. We had booked an evening meal in the Brasserie. We were asked to have our ore-dinner drinks at our table. When we declined the offer we were given menus before the drinks arrived. Our order was taken and we were ushered to our table with our drinks. It was all very rushed and we were made to feel that we were an inconvenience. On checkout, when asked the obligatory question 'did you enjoy your stay?' I made the above comments. In return I was told that I should book a more expensive room next time. There will not be a 'next time'!

Room Tip: Choose the most expensive.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Traveller300547
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This is a wonderful hotel full of old charm.
We have just spent a week here. The staff were fantastic, they really couldn't be kinder or more helpful if they tried. In addition they were happy and cheerful - it was great!
The food is superb especially the tasting menu.
Without doubt we would recommend this hotel and its staff.

Room Tip: 124 first class family room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malmesbury
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#6 of 6 in Tetbury
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
#1 of 1 in South Cerney

Been to The Old Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!