“Lovely weekend”
Review of The Old Bell Hotel

The Old Bell Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Malmesbury
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed in the "Henry Hanks" room which was immaculate and very comfortable
No complaints about any aspect of the hotel, although menu was the same each day in both of the restaurants
Staff are very attentive and happy to help

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed first at The Old Bell in early summer and the again in September - fantastic both times! Would highly recommend this hotel, honestly think it's the loveliest hotel my husband and I have stayed in. The food, service, rooms, bar and lounge areas are all of the top quality. The staff deserve a special mention, courteous and highly professional. This hotel is an absolute gem do stay and and dine there you will love the experience. Cannot recommend highly enough, we are definitely planning our third visit!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our room in the stable block was accessed from reception by climbing a set of stairs, walking along a corridor, going down some stairs, turning left and then going upstairs again. The room was a decent size but was dominated by twin beds pushed together to form a very large superking bed. It had only one hardback chair to sit on and no information was provided about the hotel and the surrounding area. We had to enquire at reception about meal times.
The public rooms in the main part of the hotel were large and inviting and the dining rooms were
comfortable. The dinner and breakfast were excellent.

Room Tip: Ask to view your room before you decide to take it.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We would have stayed two nights had there been space on the Saturday but we were content with our one night stay in a small suite to which we were upgraded, 32 in the stable block. We went for the fine dining DB&B package and dinner was excellent with wonderfully attentive and welcoming service and beautifully presented food accompanied by a good recommendation of wine by the glass to match our choice. Breakfast was good and there are comfortable lounges though, with the cooler weather having arrived, it would have been good to have the open fires burning ... Only one was and only in the evening - a good one in bar before dinner.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

On Monday my friend and I booked lunch at The Old Bell to celebrate my friends birthday. As it was a special occasion I emailed ahead to arrange some champagne on arrival and also a celebration cake for after the meal. This was arranged perfectly! And upon arrival, we were shown to the cosy lounge just off the main entrance where a log fire was going and we had a good view of the street outside.

Vincent, who was hosting lunch, came across with the two glasses of champagne I had pre-ordered and was exceptionally friendly. Once we had ordered and were promptly shown to our table, which was in the Brasserie once again over looking the street outside, we were served promptly and the food was exquisite!

The duck rillets and black pudding salad was amazing and my friend claims the chili jam which came with her fish cakes was the best thing she has ever eaten! After this the main courses were just as good, the Haddock was cooked to perfection and my friends beef dish looked (and apparently was) absolutely mouth watering. The portion sizes were just right, making us comfortably full and ready to relax - added to the cocktails and champagne we had already had we were both ready for a nap.

Vincent came across after the main course and asked whether we would like the desert menu, discreetly throwing me a wink, knowing what had been planned. I quickly ushered my friend out of the restaurant and we took a seat once more in the lounge.

The coffee was quickly served and the cake brought out. The cake was beautiful and in all honesty we felt quite guilty having to cut into it. But it was delicious and as we were unable to finish it they kindly wrapped it up for us.

Everything was perfect! Both Vincent who served us and Humberto who helped arrange everything were wonderful and I would definitely recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Being from Australia, we were really excited to be staying in England's oldest hotel. So much so, I "splashed out" and upgraded to the best rooms in the hotel. they were definately not worth it. The room was tired and my side of the matress had gone. The hotel itself is lovely and the staff were great - it's just not worth 250pounds a night. We were at the hotel as we had a wedding nearby, otherwsie I wouldn't have stayed here anyway. Shame, as some of he communal parts of the hotel are lovely.

Room Tip: Don't go for the top rooms, they're not worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatieIzz
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I think I have given the hotel 4 star because the building itself is beautiful and atmospheric. We had a good sized room in the original part of the hotel, overlooking the front - and the street. Because there is no double glazing, you can hear every sound from the street right through the night. If you want quiet, you might be better in the annex at the rear of the property. The bed was large and comfortable, and came with a teddy bear, and the room was clean. The price was quite expensive, but we were there during the History Magazine Weekend, when I'm sure demand was high. The breakfasts were very good, with a help-yourself buffet of cereals etc, and hot food cooked to order. We ate one night in the brasserie. My broccoli soup was lovely, but the batter on the haddock-and-chips was soggy, which was a shame as it let down an otherwise good meal.

Room Tip: Front rooms next to street are not double glazed and you hear all the sounds from people and traffic...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malmesbury
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#5 of 6 in Tetbury
The Close Hotel
The Close Hotel
#2 of 6 in Tetbury

Been to The Old Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!