“Nice Hotel”

and 1 more site!
The Old Bell Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Malmesbury
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here recently with a group. Our room was not big but roomy enough. Needed to take care with very low beams though. Very clean and bed one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Shortage of drawers and most of the wardrobe was taken up with ironing board, tea making bits, fridge and safe. Could not unpack all our stuff. Staff all very friendly and polite. Our evening meals good but breakfast, which was a buffet, needs sorting. Cooked Food and plates cold but plenty of good fresh fruit and cereals. We did enjoy our stay here but thought a few points need sorting.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel was booked for me by Rob from "Let's Visit England" . I went only on his suggestion - Wow, what a find. We had a wonderful room right next to church. Well appointed, clean and comfortable. Great bathroom for an 800 year old building - slept like a baby - and staff could not of been more friendly and helpful. I absolutely loved this place!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Tripped over this hotel on visit to Malmesbury. What a totally wonderful find. Just had extensive internal refurb..modern eclectic..all absolutely fantastic. Some of their website photos need updating as they still show pre-refurb. Phenomenal food..really wonderful, and exemplary smiling service. We hadn't planned to go so felt horribly underdressed but the staff could not have been more welcoming. Made it possible for us to sit with our squeaky clean cocker spaniel throughout. Lots of fabulous rooms and lounges, wonderful gardens. Great business facilities, very large conference room at back. All perfect.....just perfect. Excellent staff who really make a difference (service means everything in my book). Taking a group back for an evening in June.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions over the years, so I wished to stay in the older part this time. We had booked one of the more expensive rooms so we were disappointed to be given a small dark room in the attic with a very strange sleigh bed and a tiny bathroom in a cupboard. My wife has poor knees so the trip up the flights of stairs would have been difficult. The gentleman on the desk was very understanding and gave us the Joe Moore room for the three nights instead. This is a lovely large, bright room on the first floor and my only negative comment on it would be the traffic noise if you have the windows open. But with them closed it was very pleasant. The breakfasts and dinners were superb, with high quality food and service and lived up to the claim of the best restaurant in Malmesbury. The impressions of this hotel seem to depend entirely on the room that is booked, so for a great experience a careful choice is needed. Given the right room I would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Be carefull in your choice of room
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Not the cheapest hotel but this was good value and we enjoyed the stay. The location is superb, next to the Abbey in Malmesbury (itself a traditional small perfect English town). The Breakfasts were excellent with several options including English, Porridge, Pancakes, Haddock, fruit, croissants, Yoghurt......We stayed in the extension which is relatively new. The Wi-Fi was good (relatively fast), the shower was fine, powerful and hot – mixer type but better than most. If you stay in room 34 the light switch for the en-suite bathroom took a few minutes to find (by the side of the wardrobe). The double bed was large and comfortable (two singles pushed together). I have stayed in more luxurious rooms but this one was to a good standard. The staff were friendly and the Malmesbury beer in the bar was better than any other beer I drank in the town. Good sized car park, pleasant area outside to relax in the sunshine. It was quiet at night, no noise from traffic or other guests. Overall an excellent traditional, friendly hotel with good food and accommodation. Used by tourists and business people.

Room Tip: Ours, room 34, was a reasonable size and I'd recomend it. We did see inside some of the other st...
1  Thank Britman_uno
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We booked late and were surprised to see so many rooms available. Now we know why!
We stayed in room 21 in the rear of the hotel, an add on to the original building. The room was grubby, dusty and in very poor condition. A refurbishment and deep clean is desperately required. Cracked toilet pan, chipped enamel bath, mould in the bath sealant, overheated electrical fitting on the towel rail to mention just a few shortcomings we did not expect to see here. Only BBC 1 had a good signal on the TV, the rest were scrambled. The walls are thin and poorly soundproofed, witness the sound of other loos flushing next door, showers etc. The only plus point - the bed was very comfortable. Overall very poor value for money.
I mentioned most of these points when checking out - a neutral response at best with no apology or even any concern. A very disappointing one night which we will not repeat at this Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We booked an overnight stay here to celebrate our 1st Wedding Anniversary. We had the George Moore room which was lovely, the views were beautiful. The room was a great size with a good sized wardrobe, desk, tv and 2 seater sofa. The bathroom was huge, with the added bonus of two sinks. I don't usually sleep well in hotels but the bed was so comfortable I slept like a baby. The only drawback with this particular room I would say is the street noise, you can hear the cars going by slightly. The decor of this hotel are lovely, with lots of period features. The staff were pleasant and accommodating. Breakfast was also lovely, with a good choice of continental and cooked options. I would like to say having read previous reviews that we had no issues with the cleanliness of the hotel. I few things could do with updating or replacing but this had nothing to do with cleanliness. I would definitely stay here again, the staff and service were good and Malmesbury is a beautiful place to visit. Please do also visit Abbey House Gardens, it is fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malmesbury
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#5 of 6 in Tetbury
The Close Hotel
The Close Hotel
#1 of 6 in Tetbury

Been to The Old Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!