“Really good! ”

Ranked #40 of 67 Restaurants in Marlborough
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Royal Oak is a friendly, welcoming pub serving great value food in the centre of Marlborough High Street. Our choice of real ales is the best in the town and we change them on a weekly basis. We offer full Sky and BT sports, regular quiz nights, live music every Friday and an extensive beer garden.
“Really good! ”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I'm sorry that other people seem to have had bad experiences here but my wife and and I had a great one. The barman was very polite and friendly without being sickening or insincere, the food was quick and very nice the good is competitively priced. Burgers were fab and the beer well kept. Food served all day, we will be back!

Marlborough, England, United Kingdom
“Rude and extortionate!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We went to the oak for a few Saturday evening drinks. We ordered a Pimms and a cider thinking a £10 note would cover it... Absolutely no chance with a Pimms costing £6.99! Unbelievably it is classed as a cocktail, yet is still just a measure of Pimms with lemonade.
To top off the experience the manager (I believe) was incredibly rude, and so we left, our drinks untouched.
Never again! What a shame as it used to be so welcoming and fairly unpretentious.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Lucy B
Poole, United Kingdom
“Long wait, average microwaved food”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Arrived on a Friday lunchtime just after midday. Pub not very busy. Noticed steak and ale pie on the menu (which my wife and I love). Waited over 45 minutes for it, and expected home cooked after that wait. It wasn't, it was bought in and microwaved (and even then wasn't particularly hot). Little hint of ale, but not what I would have expected from a Wiltshire pub - the local ales are very good. Got the impression any old beer had been used in it.

Ordered tea with it - teabags on the side, not even put into the water. Had to ask for milk because the staff were gossiping instead of serving andhad forgotten to put it on the tray. Staff seemed disinterested. Not an experiece I will be repeating.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Lawrence P
hungerford
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent service”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

recently visited the oak for a night out, throughly enjoyed my time there, fantastic and efficient service during extremely busy periods, throughly proffesional door staff who were dealing with difficult and uncomfortable predicaments, which they excelled in. The hands on manager was always keeping a watchful eye and making sure the place runs smoothly and didnt it just. faultless. A great time had by all. Cant wait to come again! THE PLACE TO BE.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank RG170TG
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Rude landlord”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Standards have certainly dropped here since the change of landlords. Was spoken to very rudely by the landlord on Saturday night whilst out with friends! Not really any need for such a harsh tone. I'm a 25 year old woman not a 16 year old girl! Standards have slipped, bar staff are still fairly friendly but some of the drink definitely tasted weaker in my opinion (apple sours) I think they need to be careful, definitely not as busy as it used to be, you can't afford to upset the locals in a small town as you won't have any customers left!

Visited May 2014