“Tasty generous portions served by friendly staff”

The Who'd A Thought It
Ranked #22 of 69 Restaurants in Marlborough
Price range: US$7 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A traditional English high class gastro pub just outside Marlborough. Smart outside terrace with large heated 'Jumbrellas' and large garden with fantastic children's play area. Family and children friendly.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I was in two minds about going for an evening meal here due to the contrasting reviews it has received previously. However, I'm really glad we took a chance and tried it! The staff are friendly and welcoming, the atmosphere is relaxed and cosy and the food was great as well as HUGE portions so you definitely get your money's worth!
I came here with my aunt and we decided to share a starter (the Chicken Liver Parfait), this was both very tasty, home-made and plenty for the both of us as the portion was massive - a big bonus for a pate lover like myself! I then had the Lamb Shank main, which was beautiful and perfectly falling off the bone and she had the Home-made Burger which I had a taste of and was equally delicious, again portions were very generous. We were so stuffed we could't managed any dessert.
The wine selection is a little limited (3 choices of red), but judging by the lovely bottle of Shiraz we had perhaps it does't need to be more varied.
We had a lovely relaxed evening at the Who'd A Thought It,pleased with every aspect of it and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good home-cooked meal in a friendly and cosy atmosphere. I'm really not sure where the negative reviews come from, so I thought I'd add to the list of positives which I feel it deserves.
I live locally and I will certainly be visiting again, wish I'd been in before really!

2  Thank myvaz

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We finally got chance to visit again and were glad we did, as always. We were soon seated with drinks and menus after a warm welcome, and opted to try a couple of the specials. The massive pork chop with cream and cider sauce was fabulous, as was the chilli con carne; though I only managed to pinch a little. I had the white chocolate cheesecake for dessert, I'm happy to return if only for another slice, it was incredible. We can't praise this place enough, it absolutely brilliant!

3  Thank Jazmine D
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had lunch here today, a party of 10. Our first impression was that the pub was a bit small, but it had a friendly atmosphere. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

We all ordered lunch, which was brought out surprisingly fast considering there were so many of us. The food was extremely good, absolutely no complaints. The lamb shank was the best I have ever tasted, and was told that the ham, egg and chips was also superb. The home made burger had a bit of garlic, and was cooked exactly as requested.

The pub has a large garden at the back, with benches.

There are 2 reasons I didn't give an excellent review. The men's toilets really need a lick of paint and a bit of maintenance. They look a bit tired. The other is that the rear garden is littered with dog poo, and the tables could do with being replaced. I have read that others on here have experienced the same in the garden, with the dog mess.

Besides the problems I have mentioned, I would recommend this pub for a meal on the weekend, as the food is so good and the young lady behind the bar worked very hard and was very helpful.

5  Thank Gunter P
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we visited this pub and we were not disappointed either time. The pub has a really lovely local and friendly atmosphere and the decor is perfect.
As a family with two young children, we were made to feel very welcome, any special requests were accepted without a fuss.
The food was superb on both occasions, generous portions and reasonably priced.
The service is great- very friendly waitress and the landlady at the bar was welcoming and nice.
We will definitely return and wont hesitate to recommend this gem to everyone!

4  Thank lupiloo1978
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Our first visit was by chance, the second one was by choice, Warm welcome, great log fire, excellent food. A pub to return to for sure.

5  Thank Geoff H