“Friendly Pub with Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Marlborough

The Marlborough
Ranked #21 of 67 Restaurants in Marlborough
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A stunning contemporary menu using only the best produce with an emphasis on local products and suppliers. Bar Food, Vibrant and varied with all day grazing and British Tapas. World class wines, local beers and fantastic cocktails. Six individually styled boutique rooms in the stunning 15th Century Building.
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly Pub with Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

This pub was recently refurbished and is nicely presented with an open fire. The menu is interesting and the two dishes that we had were delicious. There is a good selection of wine and beer. Friendly staff. Dogs allowed.

• Visited February 2014

Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
“High price for very little food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Last year, this was The Sun Inn, a family run pub and restaurant that made guests feel welcome and cared for. I chose here for my birthday lunch as one of my favourites. The blazing sun which had graced the front of this heritage building was gone, replaced by a dull coat of arms in what looked like some sort of plastic. The rustic interior was mainly intact and a welcoming log fire was burning in the grate; but above the fire were two very strange aluminium cast animal heads: an elephant and a rhinoceros, We were led to our reserved table. There were some wooden inlays missing from the floor, making my daughter's chair very rocky. We moved the table to avoid this, which made the table's wobble greater. One expects an uneven floor in an old pub, but not an unrepaired one. I asked the waitress for card to prop the leg up, which she provided.

Now the food.... The menu was pretentious and pricey. E.g. not Angus steak, but burger, ruined with Stilton (IMO) which I avoided. It took me a while to decide what I might be able to eat, during which time waitresses appeared 3 times to ask us if we wanted drinks (we wanted to decide the food first, so the drink went with it). I chose a sea bass dish, which had the curious addition of "Chorizo foam"; this worried me, as chorizo is Greek for "pig" but the waitress assured me it would be on the side and I didn't fancy any of the other stuff at all. When it arrived, the sea bass was sat atop a neat but small circle of ratatouille. around it were alternately little squares of some carbohydrate-based but unidentifiable stuff, and the dreaded Chorizo Foam. It turned out to be something that looked like the sick you do when there's nothing left in your stomach but bile. On top of each little pile of sick was a tiny sprig of coriander shoot. I would have liked to eat those, but I didn't fancy rescuing them from the foamy goo they were swimming in. It was also difficult to get at the Bass whilst avoiding the foam (I tasted it; but it was quite bland and not tasty enough to cause me to overlook the resemblance to sick). My husband was unimpressed with his belly pork main meal, which was prettily shaped into squares and circles, but with small portions and carbohydrate content of about 2-3 ounces.

I would probably go here for a drink but won't be returning in a hurry for the food.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank JanGeorge
Reading, United Kingdom
“wonderful meal excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

From the moment we walked in we loved this place. We were warmly welcomed by the staff and by the lovely log fire. The ambience was stylish and the food was quite outstanding – the fish was fresh and delicious and I could eat the blueberry ice cream all day!

• Visited January 2014
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Superb place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Marlborough is fast becoming my favourite place to go in the Town. From the down to earth friendly staff and welcoming management and owner, it really is fantastic to have a fun place to spend time in. Admittedly the place can be fairly boisterous but if you want to have a great time in a stylish place with excellent drinks and delicious food then look no further.

• Visited December 2013
TheMarlborough, General Manager at The Marlborough, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Thank you for your review, we are working hard pushing the business forward always striving to make things better.

We look forward to seeing you soon.
London
“Surprisingly Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

En-route to London we thought we'd pop by Marlborough for Sunday lunch. As we came from the A345 the Marlborough was the first place we saw on the High St, so we gave it a go. A very pleasant place indeed. As we expected it was very busy for the time of day but we eventually got a table after a 20 minute wait during which a couple of pints of ales went down well. Lunch was good, plenty of choices too if you don't eat Sunday roasts. All in all a very positive & enjoyable experience. Highly recommended.

Thank you for your positive feedback. Glad you enjoyed it.

Marlborough is a great stopping off point and meeting place when travelling from many parts of the country.

Hope to see you soon.